Smoked chicken instead of smoked turkey?

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone done a smoked chicken similar to a smoked turkey, or does everyone stick with the beer can method?

Whaddya mean similar to a turkey? Many ways to do both chicken and turkeys. And if you've only done beer can chicken you haven't lived my brother! :heh: Not saying BC chicken isn't good... I don't think I've ever done a beer can chicken & honestly I really don't feel the need to. There are so MANY ways to smoke a chicken. Look around the site. The main thing to remember is "hot smoke"

Cheers

I do my chicken just like a turkey except no injection. Usually use the mini now as it does such a good job.

Try either on a Rotisserie. Smoking Poultry is very easy, it takes on smoke very fast so go lite on the wood. I prefer to cook poultry at 325º-350º.

I've done smoked chicken "just like" my turkey. I also beer can it, spatchcock it, and do it any number of other ways.

I'm one of those who doesn't like smoke on my chicken but I cook spatchcock or chicken halves indirect with lump I find it smokey enough with the charcoal. Mild woods would work I'm sure

I smoked a whole chicken Beer can style low and slow @ 225 once, and only once. It tasted like a wet cigarette. So don't make that mistake, or make the mistake, and you'll never do it again. Stay higher around 350, and you'll be just fine. I'm a beer can chicken kinda guy, but I've never spatchcocked a chicken, so I can't comment.

I smoked a whole chicken Beer can style low and slow @ 225 once, and only once. It tasted like a wet cigarette. So don't make that mistake, or make the mistake, and you'll never do it again. Stay higher around 350, and you'll be just fine. I'm a beer can chicken kinda guy, but I've never spatchcocked a chicken, so I can't comment.

Maybe you accidentally used a spit can:becky: I have injected chickens with peach nectar, butter, and rub and then used the peach nectar can instead of beer (however I did drink beer while smoking the chickens - don't know if that counts). Turned out very tasty.

This is a really interesting thread. For those of you who brine chicken, do you find that it has a "hammy" taste to it? Just curious.:confused:

My take on beer can chicken. If your going to do an internal temp of 160 to 180 on the chicken then the liquid in the can is not going to get to even a steaming point and defiantly not even a low simmer. Therefor I submit it is an urban myth kind of deal, where is the Mythbuster when ya need them.

I have a whole chicken and maybe this weekend I will test it to make sure but I have felt the liquid in the can before and it was only a little better than tepid. Agree or disagree its how I roll.
Dave

If I can find the motor to my rotisserie, I would prefer that method but until I do is spatchcock or cut up. Don't brine but do like to let it dry in the fridge over night if possible. Also don't inject anymore. I like some smoke but not a lot. I guess a marinade mite be considered a brine if left long enough and I do that sometimes

Back