MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
nascarchuck
Full Fledged Farker

Question Comp Sponsor Question

Well, to start off with I'm not holding my breath on any sponsorship, but hey, it's worth a try!

My buddy and I are going to enter our first comp just for fun and the experience.

I work for a major newspaper and they have been known to sponsor softball teams and other events that employees participate in.

I was thinking of hitting them up for some money in exchange for flying a banner for them.

If that doesn't work out, I have a few others in mind that I am gonna beg, errr ask for some money, but like I said, we are virgins and don't have a track record to show.

Anyway, any tips on how and what to ask for?

This is a non sanctioned event with maximum of 40 teams and we will cook 3 out of 4 catagories.

Should be alot of fun!

Be prepared for some rookie questions down the road. I have done alot of reading here and got some good tips, but always open for some advice!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There is no set rules here. What hurts you most is that you don't have a track record. Don't feel alone there are alot of teams in the same boat including us. Alot of sponsors we have talked to want to see championships under your belt so we are in the same boat.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I just have gotten lucky, I asked alot of biz owners I know if they would like to sponser and a few have come through this year. All comp entries paid for a few extra $$ for stuff. Meat at cost from a local butcher, heck I ll take it. good luck, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. If you get the chance ask them while you are feeding them!!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I just have gotten lucky, I asked alot of biz owners I know if they would like to sponser and a few have come through this year. All comp entries paid for a few extra $$ for stuff. Meat at cost from a local butcher, heck I ll take it. good luck, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. If you get the chance ask them while you are feeding them!!

If you have any extra cash laying around, would you consider sponsering a broken down 2nd year team from Street Maryland?

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

We have never been lucky at sponsorship.
Tried, but just never connected.
Probably poor marketing skills on our part

Then, out of the blue, we got full sponsorship for a comp!
One time shot, but:
I will tell you it took a lot of the stress out of the event!

Good luck in your quest!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got lucky with my employer and they agreed to sponsor us. It wasn't a great deal of money...but every little bit helps. It helps if there is a common thread between you and your intended target. It just so happened that my boss is from Iowa and has an Iowa pig roaster on a trailer in his back yard (so he says). My partner and I plan on doin' some que for my company as well as possibly for his sailing club. I can dig this q'in for money thing!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

My team has only competed twice but we got a sponsor before our second competition. It is a local meat market that provides all the meat for competitions and shirts for us to wear during the competitions. Not sure if they will continue this year, but any little bit helps.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarchuck View Post
This is a non sanctioned event with maximum of 40 teams and we will cook 3 out of 4 catagories.
Why aren't you cooking the 4th category? Unless it's something really out there, just cook it low and slow and it should turn out ok.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

There have been a few good discussions in this forum on this topic. A while back DRBBQ shared a real gem http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=sponsors .

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

For the record, that sponsor didn't come through.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
nascarchuck
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
Why aren't you cooking the 4th category? Unless it's something really out there, just cook it low and slow and it should turn out ok.

The 4th category is wild game and neither of us know anything about or care about wild game.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #12
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
If you have any extra cash laying around, would you consider sponsering a broken down 2nd year team from Street Maryland?
Doesnt all of your prize money help enough? Shoot you could probably melt down all those trophies and sell them for scap and pay for 2 or 3 years!!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I sponsor Myself
I do invite my customers to come and eat Que
They love being "insiders" at a competition
We have 4 competitions within 4 miles of the office

You could offer to feed the Managers or........

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Realtors are a good hit up. They always want pub. If your up for the work, have the realtor invite clients out and cook for them. I did it a while ago and a big bbq. We had a ton of people but the whole contest was paid for, entry, food and all.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
Doesnt all of your prize money help enough? Shoot you could probably melt down all those trophies and sell them for scap and pay for 2 or 3 years!!

I already did that to try and take the edge off the rising cost of gas. As we all know, all other prices will soon be rising to adjust for the rising fuel costs. Meat, charcoal, beer. OH NO NOT BEER!!!!!!
The return on melted plastic from the scrap yard didnt help much!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote