First Smoked Brisket...pron

hav

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to smoke a brisket, albeit only a flat. You see, I’m not a big fan of this cut, except for maybe pastrami…which I have made in the past and was delicious!

Got the drum loaded with KF Comp and about 4 chunks of Mesquite.

DSC07301.jpg

DSC07302.jpg

DSC07303.jpg

I slathered a 5.5lb flat with mustard and used Black Bart’s Brisket Rub that I got for free from Fred’s Music and BBQ site, thanks Fred!

DSC07307.jpg

DSC07309.jpg

Almost 12 hours later, internal temp 199° & fork tender. I foiled it and wrapped it in towels and stuffed in a cooler.

Since it was done in the wee early morning hours, I eventually had to re-heat it in the oven for dinner…this may have been a big mistake…like I said earlier, I am not crazy about brisket to begin with, but this seamed too dry (the bark was delicious though!). Or is it that I am just used to eating smoked pork?

DSC07311.jpg

DSC07322.jpg

As far as I am concerned, I should have calculated a better start time so I can enjoy soon after the initial cook. But all in all, not bad for a novice…

Sure does look good, very good. Thanks for the great pictures!

I am gonna try one of those somethime soon too. I must admit I am a little intimidated by it. I am new to smoking.

Yours looks like it came out well.

cool idea for the table too.

Yes, thank you for the details and pics.

Please, try another one. It only gets better.

Uncle Bud

when you hit 199 did you foil it right away?????if so theres a problem it will keep cookin and over cook it needs to rest then wrap

Foil earlier if you are going to let it reast for a long time. Maybe wrap with some beef broth.

I'm a pork man, butts, chops, loins...

I've never done a brisket, and may have an opportunity when the wife and kids go out of town....

You're a tough act to follow, that looks really tasty.

RMR

I'm always open to new ideas. Any reason why your charcoal chimney is lit upside down?

The beef ribs look tasty. Nice job!

Thanks!

I'm always open to new ideas. Any reason why your charcoal chimney is lit upside down?

The beef ribs look tasty. Nice job!

Thanks!

Thanks!

I can probably answer for him. When using the minion method, you only need about 10-20 briquettes to use as a starter. Many people find it easier to just turn the chimney upside down when heating up small amounts of charcoal.

Looks like you got a great foundation to build on! I to must admit that it looked a bit over cooked in last photo... Trust me, it's nothing that all of us have not done before. All it means is that you get to practice again!

I can probably answer for him. When using the minion method, you only need about 10-20 briquettes to use as a starter. Many people find it easier to just turn the chimney upside down when heating up small amounts of charcoal.
I never thought about that... I just put fewer in the large section....

Glad you tried doing a brisket, sorry it came out dry. My suggestion is to try it again and maybe take it off sooner, especially if you plan on re-heating.

Glad you tried doing a brisket, sorry it came out dry. My suggestion is to try it again and maybe take it off sooner, especially if you plan on re-heating.

Ditto.

And nice looking table setup with the drum.

I cooked about 4 briskets, and couldn't see what the big deal was. Then on brisket #5 I couldn't believe how good it was. Keep at it. The pics look great. If it tastes as good as it looks maybe you just don't like brisket.

I did my first brisket flat last week. Mine wasn't perfect but wasn't dry. Reading on here inspired me to smoke till 165 then wrap till 190 to 200. I pulled it at 200. I'm going to try 190 next time. I cooked it at 220. I found it to be rather good. I did a basic salt pepper rub.

I should mention when the brisket came off I had it sit in the cooler for 4 hours before opening and letting it rest for 30 min. No pics so it didn't happen :)

Back