How much to charge for smoked brisket

jpouchman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have 3 different people that want each want a brisket next Sunday. No sides, just brisket! I haven't figured out if I am doing them on the Fatboy or my FEC 100. But I will smoke it & slice it. I plan on using a whole packer's for all of them. I figure I will put them in large tin foil trays after slicing. What should I charge? I thought $60 to $70 per brisket??

I have 3 different people that want each want a brisket next Sunday. No sides, just brisket! I haven't figured out if I am doing them on the Fatboy or my FEC 100. But I will smoke it & slice it. I plan on using a whole packer's for all of them. I figure I will put them in large tin foil trays after slicing. What should I charge? I thought $60 to $70 per brisket??

That depends on the weight. I think you are selling yourself short though, unless they are small briskets.

Yeah the brisket is going to cost you 30-40 and thats just the pieces of meat.

brisket packers at RD here is $1.89 for IBP and $2.09 for Sterling(CAB)

28 -32 bucks for the brisket. Cooked figure you will yield 6 lbs on a 15lb brisket.

12$/lb, thats 72 bucks.

I charged 16$/lb for brisket(and 12$ for butt) around here during the summer for a few drop offs and no one flinched.

If you are slicing be careful as the Brisket will start drying out quick. I Vacuum seal as soon as sliced and give them a disposable pan & lid to keep warm. I tell them to keep in the oven at about 150' until time to searve and then slice and dump bag prior to serveing. If your Brisket is truely good, don't sell less that $16/lb (Finish Weight, not green weight), as your yield will be 50%.

Your in Chi town 15-17 dollars a pound sounds about right. That should cover your cost and put a few bucks in your pocket for the effort.

who cares you make 60 to 80 bucks to stand around doesnt seem like a bad idea. its not like your slaving over the smoker all day.

Depending what you get your brisket for is depending your cost. My finished cost on a brisket is $6 a pound (labor not included). $2 a poun for brisket 50% loss, packaging, fuel to run cooker, rub, and sauce. I would say $16 a pound if they are buying multiple pounds.

Great thread, I have people asking me for brisket and know idea what to charge. I shop at SAMs and packers are $1.68, flats are $2.96.

I can only do two at a time on one of my grills so I don't pose a threat to the market LoL

If you are slicing be careful as the Brisket will start drying out quick. I Vacuum seal as soon as sliced and give them a disposable pan & lid to keep warm. I tell them to keep in the oven at about 150' until time to searve and then slice and dump bag prior to serveing. If your Brisket is truely good, don't sell less that $16/lb (Finish Weight, not green weight), as your yield will be 50%.

Good tips Jim!

Thanks for all the great feedback! I got he brisket for $25 & sold for 70! The customer loved it! This did not include rub, foil pan & pellets! I did it on my FEC. I under sold myself this time, but seeing she loved it, I was happy!

Great post! Based on what I'm reading here, I need to adjust my prices a bit! :mrgreen:

Back