MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Cold Smoked Deer sausage on the PBC

Finally got my share of the sausage harvest from this past November. Last saturday was sausage making day so me and 19 other uncles and cousins spent the day grinding, mixing, and stuffing endless amounts of deer and pork. I'm not sure on the specifics of the mix or what seasoning we use since my job every year is to cook the massive lunch for 20+ hungry grown men. This year I did over 120 bacon wrapped dove kabobs with pepper, onion, and shrooms. Didn't get any pics of that but it turned out great cooking them on two 22" Webers (my dad's old one and one from an uncle).

Anyway, I ended up with 35lbs of (somewhat) smoked sausage. I tried the original product and decided that it wasn't smoked enough for my taste.

So I fired up the Pit barrel with a couple leftover briquettes and two chunks of hickory.

Then took 10 sticks of sausage and hung them on the rebar set slightly to one side to avoid any direct rising heat. The barrel was never really hot, and the heat coming off the smoldering hickory was warm, but not hot enough at the level of the sausage to cause concern.

The finished product was great and I like it better than the original. I think I will split everything down the middle eventually so I have a 50/50 amount of original and extra smoked.

The pit barrel also worked great as a mini smoke house for the sausage. Temp never rose to a point that would have me concerned and the two chunks of hickory and 5 or so leftover briquettes lasted about an hour, all the while giving off good smoke. Total time smoked was around an hour.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the wrinkled skin indicates that the fat rendered out so you got well above the temperatures needed for cold smoking.

I bet it tastes great nonetheless. Thanks for the post.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the wrinkled skin indicates that the fat rendered out so you got well above the temperatures needed for cold smoking.

I bet it tastes great nonetheless. Thanks for the post.
Good point.

They were already cooked before I smoked them further thus the "wrinkled" skin. They were originally cooked for about 45 minutes to an hour at 175-185 the day we made them. Though with that, they were more "cooked" than they were smoked. The guys had a good bed of coals but weren't adding any wood spits while the sausage was on.

Still, they turned out great!

Thanks from:--->