Epic WSM Mod Project: 8" Offroad tires and Steel Pipe Accessory Hanging System

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been chipping away at these mods and these videos for over a month (been crazy busy and out of town to boot).

I wanted to put a wheel mod on my WSM 22.5, but I wanted something I'd never seen anyone else do before. So, I started shopping for some big ole offroad casters. Ended up with an 8" set on Ebay for under $60 (2 swivel, 2 rigid). Wanted a beefy, awesome, manly platform, not just a sheet of plywood. So, 4x4s it is!! All said and done, this rolling offroad platform adds a full 14" of height to my WSM, and makes it perfect for a 6+ footer like myself.

Next, I wanted a cool system for hanging bbq tools and accessories. I got to looking around on the Google, and lo and behold, I really like the industrial steel pipe look. So, I dreamed up a quick, simple design, headed to Home Depot, and bought the parts. Easy as putting together legos, and bolting a single connector plate onto your WSM. The best part? It can all be reconfigured and modified as easy as unscrewing a pipe and popping a different one into place. The possibilities are endless. I used the same system to put together a pull handle for my offroad platform cart.

Enjoy the photos and videos! The second video might still be uploading when this post first appears, so give it 30 minutes and it'll work fine.

Offroad Package Video: https://youtu.be/8ohK64zGSkY
Steel Pipe Hanging System Video: https://youtu.be/IoFCF49xHII

Last edited:
Looks like you are all set-up. I saw a competition cook that had mounted a WSM in a WAGON similar to this one from Home Depot. He had taller panels (maybe 3/8" plywood) that would bolt in place for wind blocks, and a small tarp that would fit on top to stop rain.

Looks like you are all set-up. I saw a competition cook that had mounted a WSM in a WAGON similar to this one from Home Depot. He had taller panels (maybe 3/8" plywood) that would bolt in place for wind blocks, and a small tarp that would fit on top to stop rain.

I need to rig up some panels like that for winter, that's a great idea! Snow and wind block will be important. Thank you!

Maiden voyage under way! No meat on, just getting to know this beauty. First time ever firing up a WSM. So easy. Loving it so far!

Last edited:
Love the snow! Native Minnesnowtan.

...but the wind can be harsh, especially at -20

Maybe you shoulda went with skis?

Setup looks very functional!

Love the snow! Native Minnesnowtan.

...but the wind can be harsh, especially at -20

Maybe you shoulda went with skis?

Setup looks very functional!

I'm new to MN last year, but grew up in Alaska, and lived in the U.P. for the last ten years. So......yeah, cold and snow. Check :) Smoke on!!

Back