MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick
Default Hang Ribs in LSG IVC?

So I recently transitioned from a PBC to a LSG IVC and I was curious if anyone had ever tried hanging ribs in an IVC before.

I am planning on doing 6 racks of spares this weekend and I was curious if it would be worth trying to hang them instead of stacking on the racks. I do have the sausage rods in my mini so I could hang them from those and this way I can just use one drip pan at the bottom and it would be easy to spritz them.

The only thing I am not sure about is on the PBC the ribs were equally done top to bottom because even though the fire was hot at the bottom there was always the self basting from the hanging meat. Since the IVC has the water pan as a deflector I am not sure the ribs will cook evenly since the bottom of the ribs will be getting the cooling effect from the self basting.
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweave2614 View Post
So I recently transitioned from a PBC to a LSG IVC and I was curious if anyone had ever tried hanging ribs in an IVC before.

I am planning on doing 6 racks of spares this weekend and I was curious if it would be worth trying to hang them instead of stacking on the racks. I do have the sausage rods in my mini so I could hang them from those and this way I can just use one drip pan at the bottom and it would be easy to spritz them.

The only thing I am not sure about is on the PBC the ribs were equally done top to bottom because even though the fire was hot at the bottom there was always the self basting from the hanging meat. Since the IVC has the water pan as a deflector I am not sure the ribs will cook evenly since the bottom of the ribs will be getting the cooling effect from the self basting.

Part of the reason for getting a smoker like the IVS is so you can load it up with meat. My advice is to lay the ribs on the racks and see how you like them. On my new Large IVS my family raved about the ribs cooked that way.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with Mark. Load up with ribs horizontally.