Brisket on a Pellet smoker

Saulnier

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I have had stick burners and built a couple of UDS. My current setup is a "cabinet" smoker... Think 2'X2'X5' cabinet that runs like a UDS with 4 racks.

I was visiting my wife's cousin out in the Phoenix area and showed him how to do brisket. He has a Louisiana Grills Pellet smoker. The brisket came out good enough but was very dry on the outside. Wind blown you might say. I did notice that his smoker has 5-7 vent holes along the back and moves 10 times more air than my UDS and Cabinet setups. With allthe air moving through the pit the outside of the brisket was dry. Not too much fat/moisture on the outside of the brisket either.

What are some tricks for getting more of a traditional finish on a brisket in a pellet smoker?

Cover some holes to slow down the air flow?

Smoke for 4 hours then finish in a pan with some liquid?

Wrap in foil and 4 hours and let it finish?

So different than putting it in my Black Box and not messing with it for 10-12 hours on 12-15lbs charcoal.

I wrapped mine in BP and it wasn't dry at all. Of course that was after it had the bark I wanted.

I've heard you need to go lower in temp (225) and longer in the smoke to get a more traditional smoke flavor.

Airflow should be an asset not a liability. He needs to spritz or mop, though.

How long has he had it, and is he going by his set temp? Might be the actual temp at the grate is higher than set temp.

I've done many briskets on my pellet smoker. I've wrapped and not wrapped. Always cook at 225. Come out excellent.

How was it rested? I have a louisiana, and like what it does for the bark. I typically cook straight through unwrapped, let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so, then wrap in either paper or foil. The rest really moistens the bark back up without making it mushy.

As mentioned above spritzing here and there will keep the surface from drying out, but with a nice long wrapped rest it kind of does the same thing.

For what it's worth I cook mostly 250-300, and have been perfectly happy.

Last edited:
We give them a few hours in the smoke at around 180°F and then bump up to 250°F or so. A water pan is placed inside the cook chamber, just because.... A vinegar/Worcestershire spray is applied every now and then, and when the bark looks good the whole shebang is wrapped in butcher paper for the duration. Delicious!!

I don't have anything new to add, but I concur with these others. My 2 regular briskets were good on the outside as well as my pastrami's. I run on SMOKE for up to 4 hours, then crank up temp to 250 or higher to get it finished. My bigger cuts all get spritzed with water or water and vinegar. I think your buddy needs to try it again for sure.

Thanks for the solid info.
He has done 3 more since I was there in Feb. I am headed back out in July. I will advise him to do a brisket every other week till I arrive trying the different approaches above. :-D He has started using a wireless thermometer on the grate and in the meet as well as watching the temp on the controller.

Done any number in a pellet grill, 225, water pan, mist it every hour, and wrap in BP when it gets to around 160, usually 6 - 7 hours. Always been moist.

Back