MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Default B&B Oak Lump vs Royal Oak Lump

I picked 4 bags of B&B Oak Lump and 1 bag of Royal Oak Lump at Walmart. I decided to open a few bags to see how they compare and load them into my plastic containers. Here’s the B&B with a business card (3 1/4'” x 2”) for size comparison.

And in the container. (See the dust & tiny pieces? The 2nd & 3rd bags didn’t have as much)

Royal Oak

Here’s the RO with a business card (3 1/4'” x 2”) for size comparison.

And in the container.

DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

So, did the RO have dust and small chucks?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

and you got the b&b from where ? for me its just common sense for me to use the ro stuff cuz its easily found and its decent enough.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
So, did the RO have dust and small chucks?
No not much. The first bag of B&B was the only bag that had much of any dust & tiny pieces. I poured the bags into the plastic containers so I could see the bottom of the bag.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
and you got the b&b from where ? for me its just common sense for me to use the ro stuff cuz its easily found and its decent enough.
Both were purchased from Walmart. There's not allot of difference. The RO was just a little larger size but were flatter (more like 1x material) than the B&B which seemed to be more like real chunks. Also the B&B had many many truely carbonized pieces. (not sure if you can see this in the pics) I haven't burned any yet so don't have any opinions yet but will revisit this when I do.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
mikeraba
Got rid of the matchlight.

You can get B&B at Academy Sports. $14.99 for a 20lb bag.
mikeraba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

B&B is usually pretty good and it comes in different flavors (oak, mesquite, hickory, etc). It's available in quite a few places down here in the Houston area, but I am cheap so I normally buy RO when it's on sale at Wally World. All things being equal, I usually buy the oak when I get B&B. The mesquite is dynamite for steaks.

Last edited by Texas Turtle; 05-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
B&B is usually pretty good and it comes in different flavors (oak, mesquite, hickory, etc). It's available in quite a few places down here in the Houston area, but I am cheap so I normally buy RO when it's on sale at Wally World. All things being equal, I usually buy the oak when I get B&B. The mesquite is dynamite for steaks.
Once it is carbonized it's all the same all the compounds that add flavor age long gone. All that labeling is for marketing. You can make lump out of Pine or Cedar once it is carbonized it makes no difference. I have cooked many a meal over cedar and pine coals with no off taste. You want the Flavor add wood.

I have never tried B&B lump I did try the natural Briquettes and was very impressed.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

non at my wm and no academy even remotely close to here. thats why many of us just have to use what is available.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Once it is carbonized it's all the same all the compounds that add flavor age long gone. All that labeling is for marketing. You can make lump out of Pine or Cedar once it is carbonized it makes no difference. I have cooked many a meal over cedar and pine coals with no off taste. You want the Flavor add wood.

I have never tried B&B lump I did try the natural Briquettes and was very impressed.
Huh. I learned something there. Thanks.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote