Brisket, 26.75 OGT & Home made lump

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So far I've only used home made lump for searing or short indirect cooks, it works great but I've been wanting to give it a try on a long cook. Today is the day, pulled a 13# brisket out of the freezer and rubbed it down with Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub (I'm getting to where I really like this stuff). This is one thing I've wanted to do since I first started using limp - a fine mesh expanded metal add-on to the charcoal grate.
007_zpsf1bf5345.jpg

Snake of the home made lump and a little hickory around the drip pan.
002_zps4adefedd.jpg

Fired it off with some leftover (slightly used) Stubbs.
003_zpsb2ba2a3c.jpg

Let the smoke clear and on with the brisket at 10:30 AM.
004_zpsaa0c7031.jpg

And, the cooker coming up to temp, hoping to cruise at 300*-325*.
005_zpse619f868.png

If all goes well, see y'all back at about 2:30 PM for a BP wrap then a couple more hours to finish.

I'm likin' the mesh- been wanting to do that myself with a couple cookers. Lookin forward to he PrOn!

Update - 2 hour into the cook

Thinnest of smoke, before a quick peak.
006_zps9c5af43d.jpg

And a quick peak - one of the hickory chunks flared up but it was pretty easy to get it back to smoking at 310*, took about 10 minutes.
007_zpsf492093c.jpg

Looked like about 1/3 of the lump is burned through, might just hit it perfect, we will see.

does your home made burn hotter than store lump?

mine burns super hot.

Yes, hotter but I'm not sure faster. It looks like the "ignition line" (just made that up) gets 6 inches out ahead of the lump that is actually glowing hot so at any one time I have 8-10 inches of lump burning. I'm running the bottom dampers almost closed and the top at about 3/4 to keep it under control. Going to open it up to wrap the brisket in BP in a few minutes and we will see what it all looks like then.

Time to pull and wrap in BP then return to the cooker. It has been cooking at 300*-315* for 4 hours.

008_zpsf6df45e9.png

Here it is before going in the BP, smells wonderful and if the grease on my fingers was any indication this is going to be a good one!

009_zps97e97fd5.jpg

Reinserted the IT probe, it is still a little tough but I'm pretty sure it will get done in the next 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Had about 6 inches of lump burning and about 6 inches yet to burn so I might just hit it perfect?

Nicely done. I started using a piece of expanded, a while ago, works great. I even gave my buddy a piece, and he loves it.

Matt

Nicely done. I started using a piece of expanded, a while ago, works great. I even gave my buddy a piece, and he loves it.

Matt

Thanks, it sure seems to be working great. I built/building a brush guard for my Mule UTV so I picked up a sheet of the fine mesh (1/2 X 14-16 gage) for that and had enough leftover for this.

Just about probe tender, maybe 15 minutes more until rest/cooler.

Last edited:
Bam! Dinner done

010_zps59cd5a64.jpg

011_zps91977c31.jpg

012_zps68b06986.jpg

In the pictures, it looks a little dry but NOT - very moist and very tasty and look at that killer smoke ring! I still like the simple S&P rubs, but the Oakridge Black OPS Brisket Rub is really good also. Cook summary, 4 hours, then wrap in BP for 2-1/2 hours then rest in a cooler for an hour; average temp 315*. Our plan was dinner tonight then use the leftovers for brisket chili, but I'm not sure how much of the leftovers will make it past breakfast & lunch tomorrow.

Thanks for following along!

Back