MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
nlsteve
Found some matches.

Default Can this kamado be saved?

There's a damaged old kamado possibly available cheap.
I could use some advice. I have only seen photos so far, but it appears that pieces broke out of the bottom of the unit (the portion including the draft vent) but those pieces have been saved.

If the pieces are still available, can this thing be repaired satisfactorily with furnace cement?

Also, my understanding is that an old kamado (unlike a BGE or other newer kamado) isn't suitable for high temperature cooking. But the cookbooks I've seen for the old kamados only seem to talk about medium temps. Can these older things be used OK for low-and-slow? Can anyone point me to some instructions for that? I don't want to buy this thing unless it is fixable and can do some 'que.

Pictures attached. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmokerOutside.jpg (7.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg SmokerInside.jpg (38.6 KB, 215 views)
nlsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

PM or search Swamprb. He's a Kamado Resto expert.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't mess with it.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

If by cheap, you mean free, then it's worth a shot. Otherwise, just walk away.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

I got an old imperial kamado last year for $10 and it had been converted to use a propane burner in the bottom. The shell was in great shape but the fire box and ring were shot. Used JB Weld for those pieces and sandblasted the metal and repainted. It now stays below 400F and works fine. If the price is right try JB Weld on the outside. Kamado King in NY had a bottom door as mine was rusty.

Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kamado, kamado repair, kamado restoration, restore