MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
bcon
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Peoria MMIF question...

New to the board. I am extremely interested in getting a very nice pit. I'm from Michigan, so not exactly a ton of options up here. Peoria is reasonable driving distance for me, and I've heard great things about them. MMOF is probably out of my price range because I'd want to pretty it up, and that's just too much. The MMIF on the other hand, is doable. I've seen every video on it I can think of, and am extremely impressed by it. Plus living up here in the north, having that type of insulation is just an awesome feature in my book, and greatly needed.
With all that being said, I do have a couple concerns that I would like to have answered if I could. First off, while the guru is great, not sure I'd want to use it every time I smoked something. In saying that, how is the ability to control the temps by just using the vents? Can it hold the temperature extremely well still without the guru? I'm assuming so, but not certain. Also, obviously with the internal firebox, you lose cooking space. If you don't have the extension on, I'm assuming you can still put the lid on and the grate goes over it and you can still use that space for smoking correct? Just wondering if that is possibly a cold spot? Smoke flow goes to the left, and that area above the firebox seems ignored to me as far as smoke goes. Am I off base? Thanks for any input.
bcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

If I had the money to blow on a pit the MMIF would be the one. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Jambo even if they were the same price.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Mark M
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have a MMIF but I've been keeping up with it since it appeared on the scene last year. It's design appears to be first rate. I don't know how you could go wrong with it. Also, with the MM vent, you don't have to use the Guru - you could control your draft manually. That vent is a great piece of engineering by itself. The owner of Peoria CC is a dentist and runs the smoker business on the side only because of his love for the Q industry. Neat folks. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
bcon
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the information
bcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

If I ever hit the big one, I don't care how many smokers I have I am driving up there and dragging a mmif back with me. That thing looks awesome!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

Pm sent

Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
layne
On the road to being a farker

I love my MMIF!
I use the guru every time, because it's too darn easy.
layne is offline   Reply With Quote