MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #796
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
1. You could use a hotel pan in the water pan
2. I'm positive Chris could do this
3. Nooooooooooo! (Cowboys fan)

Seriously. ..sounds like a nice configuration. You rarely see custom colors. I'm not sure if it's because it's expensive or because they look so damn good in black and ss.
Couldn't have said it better!

Send an email to them and they will answer any question you have. I asked close to a dozen questions before I ordered mine. Couldn't be happier!
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #797
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleykids View Post
One question for all you LSG owners out there. Is the taste and flavor profile the same as on a stick burner?

I am contemplating ordering a LSG of my own, but I want to make sure the flavor of my Q won't change much.

I had an original cookshack, started on it, and it was ok but not great.
Moved to an old brinkmann offset horizontal stickburner, the old original super heavy 3/16" thick one, and it makes great Q with lump and splits. I added a firebox baffle welded it in, and three 1/4" thick tuning plates. Works great. I can leave her for about 3 hours and she will stay at 225. Then I have to add some lump and splits again

But I like the stickburner taste 100% better than the cookshack.
I know the cookshack used a heating element, and the LSG can use lump and wood chunks.

is there a flavor change from stickburner to the vertical chunk LSG?
Thx!
I can only qualify this answer from eating a ton of bbq from stick burners and cooking my own on WSM and the cabinet smoker.

Nothing comes close to cooking on pure wood. Stick burners in my opinion put out the best tasting bbq.

Having said that, this smoker will give you some really awesome bbq without sacrificing too much. I went from wsm to this and it gives the same flavor profile as a drum/bullet type smoker.

Every time I fire it up for a cook, family and friends wait in line for me too cook them briskets and butts. It must be good

Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #798
harleykids
On the road to being a farker

Darkoozy,

Thanks for the reply. I don't use 100% wood in my offset, but I use laround three 12-14" 1/3rd splits of usually post oak or hickory, sitting on top of a big bed of Royal Oak USA lump from Wal-Mart. I light the pit with a 3/4 full chimney of lump, dumped in the far corner next to my air inlet.

I use a half sheet or full sheet pan full of water under my grate, sitting on top of my tuning plates.

Takes about 30-45mins to get up to 225-250, then holds there for at least 3 hours, then I have to add more lump (and a bit more wood if meat temp is less than 165)

I am assuming since I am cooking with splits on top of lump, using a water pan, that the LSG would be very similar since it uses chunks on top of briquettes?

Only difference I can see is the vertical configuration, and the insulated cabinet?

Thanks for the help.

I figured with 53 pages of LSG thread, I would get a bunch of replies on taste profile, since I cannot be the only person moving from a stickburner (or lump and stick) to an LSG?

Thx!
Jason
harleykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #799
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleykids View Post
Darkoozy,

Thanks for the reply. I don't use 100% wood in my offset, but I use laround three 12-14" 1/3rd splits of usually post oak or hickory, sitting on top of a big bed of Royal Oak USA lump from Wal-Mart. I light the pit with a 3/4 full chimney of lump, dumped in the far corner next to my air inlet.

I use a half sheet or full sheet pan full of water under my grate, sitting on top of my tuning plates.

Takes about 30-45mins to get up to 225-250, then holds there for at least 3 hours, then I have to add more lump (and a bit more wood if meat temp is less than 165)

I am assuming since I am cooking with splits on top of lump, using a water pan, that the LSG would be very similar since it uses chunks on top of briquettes?

Only difference I can see is the vertical configuration, and the insulated cabinet?

Thanks for the help.

I figured with 53 pages of LSG thread, I would get a bunch of replies on taste profile, since I cannot be the only person moving from a stickburner (or lump and stick) to an LSG?

Thx!
Jason
Yes, you will be laying wood chunks on top of briquettes. The flavor profile should be close to what you are experiencing today. I am generous with the wood chunks and pretty much cover the entire surface of coals with a mixture of hickory and mesquite.

The vertical configuration is awesome for heat management and you get about the same temps throughout the cabinet. The insulation is great for holding temps, fuel conservation and allows you to cook all year round.

You won't be disappointed...glad I can help!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #800
JoSal73
Full Fledged Farker

I can't do an apples to apples yet because the wood I cooked with in my stick burner was pecan....and I've tried only apple and hickory chunks in the IV.

I made a brisket and jalapeno sausage yesterday. The texture of the bark and tenderness and moisture was pretty awesome, but I don't think I like Hickory more than pecan. I gotta cook another brisket with pecan to really compare.

Having said that, with the sleep I get back from not having to keep the fire going in the stick burner....I am totally OK x100 with what the LSG puts out. Really fine BBQ!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #801
rguyler
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I'm in the same boat. Been using a cheapo offset horizontal cooker for the last several years and looking to move up to bigger/better version of that. I've been researching possible replacements, including the LSG horizontal models but after finding and reading this thread I'm now thinking of going vertical.

To be honest, I just thought all smokers needed the care and feeding I give mine when cooking but now that I know better I love the idea of getting some sleep during those long cooks. I may be wrong but I don't think I could get that level of hands-off with a horizontal no matter how well made.

Anybody here made to the move from horizontal to vertical and regret it?
rguyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #802
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Ok guys, I need some advice. I am going to call Chris tomorrow, but I wanted the advice of the brethren. I am just not getting that long of cook times with my lsg vertical cabinet. Today was only my 3rd cook on it, but I am going through charcoal like crazy. I did cook 150 lbs worth of pork butts today, but I went through 30 lbs or so of charcoal in around 11 hours. I do cook with water in the water pan and I also use a guru with a 25 cfm fan. I am using fire bricks to create a s shape with the charcoal and wood as you can see from the picture of my charcoal basket from this morning. It was rolling strong for a long time today, then at about the 10 hour mark, I opened it up to see all the charcoal had been burned up. Am I missing anything here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150330_072044.jpg (58.3 KB, 502 views)
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #803
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Ok guys, I need some advice. I am going to call Chris tomorrow, but I wanted the advice of the brethren. I am just not getting that long of cook times with my lsg vertical cabinet. Today was only my 3rd cook on it, but I am going through charcoal like crazy. I did cook 150 lbs worth of pork butts today, but I went through 30 lbs or so of charcoal in around 11 hours. I do cook with water in the water pan and I also use a guru with a 25 cfm fan. I am using fire bricks to create a s shape with the charcoal and wood as you can see from the picture of my charcoal basket from this morning. It was rolling strong for a long time today, then at about the 10 hour mark, I opened it up to see all the charcoal had been burned up. Am I missing anything here?
My guess would be the large amount of meat. Have you done any cooks with only 1 rack of meat? I would try that to see if it makes a difference. I have never heard of anyone with these cookers having an issue with fuel usage but I have never seen anyone load one up like you did either.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #804
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
The amount of meat is going to be the main reason, 150 lbs being loaded in there at 50-60 degrees will really zap some fuel until it starts to come up to temp. Also #1 you mentioned your cooking with water but didn't say at what temp your running at, that will affect it as well. #2 do you have the heat deflector or not that will play a roll when cooking with water. Call me and I will be happy to help out.

Thanks
Chris
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #805
JoSal73
Full Fledged Farker

OK, so far I'm pretty happy with everything I've smoked in this guy...except for ribs. For some reason I can't get ribs to have the right moisture. I've been cooking between 250-280 normally...so not much temp variance. In my stick burner, they are really juicy every time, but I also normally cooked at 275-350 over there...not sure if the high temp would be a factor in a juicier rib. Could it maybe be that I'm not letting them cook long enough and the fat simply isn't rendering? I let them go for right at 4 hours this morning...which I would think is enough time for spares.

I'm guessing it's also because wood contains moisture whereas charcoal does not and the little wood chunks just don't cut it in that area. I've been cooking dry with no water, so I sincerely hope that is the culprit. I've been mainly focused on learning how much fuel I use and how to control temps. With no water, I think I pretty much have it nailed down after 4 cooks. With water, however, is my next step to master. I need me some juicy ribs out of this beast!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #806
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSal73 View Post
OK, so far I'm pretty happy with everything I've smoked in this guy...except for ribs. For some reason I can't get ribs to have the right moisture. I've been cooking between 250-280 normally...so not much temp variance. In my stick burner, they are really juicy every time, but I also normally cooked at 275-350 over there...not sure if the high temp would be a factor in a juicier rib. Could it maybe be that I'm not letting them cook long enough and the fat simply isn't rendering? I let them go for right at 4 hours this morning...which I would think is enough time for spares.

I'm guessing it's also because wood contains moisture whereas charcoal does not and the little wood chunks just don't cut it in that area. I've been cooking dry with no water, so I sincerely hope that is the culprit. I've been mainly focused on learning how much fuel I use and how to control temps. With no water, I think I pretty much have it nailed down after 4 cooks. With water, however, is my next step to master. I need me some juicy ribs out of this beast!
Were they done at 4 hours, or did you just pull them off because 4 hours?

I never cook with water on my WSM and get juicy ribs all the time. I'm guessing you didn't have water in your stick burner either. If you're cooking the same time at a different temp, you're going to get a different result. You need to adjust one or the other.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #807
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Do you foil your ribs?

I cook ribs all the time with water, at much lower temps (225 ish) and wrap in foil. I also tend to stick close to 3-2-1 as a guideline for spare ribs, and end up with fall off the bone moist ribs everytime.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #808
JoSal73
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
Were they done at 4 hours, or did you just pull them off because 4 hours?

I never cook with water on my WSM and get juicy ribs all the time. I'm guessing you didn't have water in your stick burner either. If you're cooking the same time at a different temp, you're going to get a different result. You need to adjust one or the other.
That is actually probably the culprit. I've been used to the stick burner churning them out at a specific time frame, that I think I ignored the fact that they weren't done per the lower temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Do you foil your ribs?

I cook ribs all the time with water, at much lower temps (225 ish) and wrap in foil. I also tend to stick close to 3-2-1 as a guideline for spare ribs, and end up with fall off the bone moist ribs everytime.
Nope, no foil lately. I did it in the beginning when first smoking last year, but like the bark with no foil much better.

I'm just going to practice this week with ribs only until I figure it out. If it's just a matter of adjusting time, that will be just fine with me and I hope I just goofed and pulled them off too soon. I'd hate to HAVE to resort to water and/or foiling.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #809
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSal73 View Post
That is actually probably the culprit. I've been used to the stick burner churning them out at a specific time frame, that I think I ignored the fact that they weren't done per the lower temp.

Nope, no foil lately. I did it in the beginning when first smoking last year, but like the bark with no foil much better.

I'm just going to practice this week with ribs only until I figure it out. If it's just a matter of adjusting time, that will be just fine with me and I hope I just goofed and pulled them off too soon. I'd hate to HAVE to resort to water and/or foiling.
Pretty sure you wont have to resort to water and foiling. Nothing wrong with your method. Different temps call for different times...Good luck with the cook, I am sure you will turn out some good ribs!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 AM   #810
KajunSmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Tic Tac
KajunSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote