MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
bimmerdad
Got Wood.

Default Cornbread (Myron's version)

Hi all,

Tonight I wanted some cornbread so I tried the recipe in Myron's new book. Well, when I cut into it, I noticed it was really dense. Also, it was really salty.

Brethren, have any of you tried his recipe? If so, is this how it's suppose to taste? I followed the recipe exactly.

I did some research and I've noticed that most recipes call for baking Powder and/or Baking Soda, Myron's recipe did not. Also, his recipe seems to have at least double the amount of salt then most recipes.

Any help would be great. I'm trying to help out with the cooking around the house so I'm trying different recipes but this one has me stumped.

PS - I didn't post the recipe because I don't know if that's allowed or not.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Apparently, your not the only one with this problem. Found this part of a customer review on amazon. Hope it helps:

"Separately, I made his cornbread recipe not once, but twice. Both times it turned out like a rock. My better half confirmed all the ingredients I put in against the recipe. I am convinced the recipe is missing something - namely a leavening agent. If you make this recipe I recommend adding a tsp of baking powder.

Overall he writes great books, but let's be honest, you didn't buy the book for his baking skills :-)

Follow-up: I wrote Myron's team at jacksoldsouth.com (via the 'contact us' function) about the cornbread recipe. I was most impressed that they wrote back immediately and admitted the recipe was missing a leavening agent...the recipe needs 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 0.5 tsp of baking soda. They will fix the recipe in future editions. So refreshing to deal with an organization that admits its errors so readily. My kind of people"

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yep, I made it twice too... thinking I did it wrong the first time. So, I had TWO big hockey pucks. Not having made cornbread before, I didn't really know if it was me, or how that was supposed to be.

Duh... Thanks Myron!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

I saw that recipe and it is nothing like what his restaurant, pride and joy, has. The one at the restaurant is almost like cake with the little peach jam they give you with it. It's out of this world and would love to find THAT recipe not some one they just threw together for a book.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I seem to remember another recipe of his from an early edition of another book which was way too salty, but can't think of exactly what it was. It too was corrected in later editions as I recall.

His beef rub?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 07-02-2013 at 09:19 AM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Well now that all makes sense... I cooked his cornbread 2-3 times and it always came out like a hockey puck. I finally canned it, and went back to my old recipe.
Thanks for writing to the Jacks Old South team to see, I will will add the BS and BP next time and give it another whirl
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
deguerre

Doesn't anybody proof read anymore?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I seem to remember another recipe of his from an early addition of another book which was way too salty, but can't think of exactly what it was. It too was corrected in later editions as I recall.

His beef rub?
I'm pretty sure it was the beef rub. That's the only rub I made from his first book and our burgers were so salty I stopped with the beer and went to water because it was soooooo salty. I really haven't tried much from that book since because it was so bad. I know they have corrected it and this mistake is well documented, but like Guerry said, doesn't anyone proof read?

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Deosn't anybdoy proof raed anmyore?
It would appear not...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Bludawg

I find it Ironic there are allot of posts about Myrons failed recipes.. You have to ask yourself "Would you buy a used car from this person" ??

Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
bimmerdad
Got Wood.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll try his recipe again (with the missing ingredients) and let you know how it turned out.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

I have not read Myrons books but from what some people have commented on it is like alot of BBQ books, they give some good pointers and lead you down the path but there is alot left out. Those small secrets is what makes him win and he is not going to give that up.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I like Jiffy in the little blue and white box with some minced onion and jalapeno in it. It's got everything in it already and is quick!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I find it Ironic there are allot of posts about Myrons failed recipes.. You have to ask yourself "Would you buy a used car from this person" ??
Absolutely.

I would explain, but...Nevermind.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

To get the REST of the ingredients you must first pay $750 to attend his cooking school!!!