Smoke and Spice(wine)

R

Roo-B-Q'N

Ok folks, this is not just for Spicewine owners but it does have to do with cooking on a Spicewine.

This year has been our first year cooking on our large and while wee are able to dial it in and hold the cooker at whatever temp we want for several hours, we are having issues with getting smoke flavor and smoke rings in anything we cook.

We start by placing 3/4 of a 21# bag of kingsford in the fire box along with one full chimney. On top of the charcoal I place 3-4 split logs so that wood is available across the charcoal as it burns. the split logs are about 18" long and 6-8" ini diameter. This is all the wood I use for comps.

The water pan is dry and foiled with two large aluminum pans to catch grease and liquids. Butts, briskets ribs ect are placed on the 2 and 3 from the top racks (four shelf cooker). Briskets and butts are injected and have a slather aas do the ribs. Chicken goes on naked and sauced after cooking.

Briskets come off tasting like a beef roast with no smoke ring, pork butts no redness due to smoke same with chicken and ribs. Just not getting it. Any help would be appreciated.

We have been putting the wood chunks in
The charcoal basket 1st then add the charcoal
They smolder through the whole cook
No shortage of smoke flavor or ring

I've been using the woodchip kingsford that is prepressed into the coals..is giving me good results.

Back