Recommendations Wanted, Brick Smoker Project.

Thermal Mass

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello fellow brethren!
Although it will be a few weeks before the freezing stops here in Wisconsin,
I am looking for suggestions on the completion of my brick smoker project.
Pizza oven is complete except the ascetic details and works awesome. Between the smoker will be a Tuscan style wood grill.
I have a game plan but am want to compare with any expert's thoughts out there.
Thanks in advance!

BTW, anyone got a match? :oops:

Attachments

• pizza oven 102.jpg
    pizza oven 102.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,214
I'm sorry we're all too PO'd at you right now to talk because we don't have one of those pizza ovens. :razz:

That's awesome, can't wait to see the finished project. :thumb:

PrOn

Thanks, a ton of work.
Getting good at the pizza thing. Great for entertaining-pizza 2 minutes!
Is still 400+ degrees (with door on) 36 hours after a good pizza firing.
Have tried a multitude of other foods as well.
Here are a few...

Really chomping at the bit to get some big meat going in the smoker though.

Attachments

• pizza oven 068.jpg
    pizza oven 068.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 409
  • pizza oven 081.jpg
    pizza oven 081.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 406
  • pizza oven 084.jpg
    pizza oven 084.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 408
  • pizza oven 086.jpg
    pizza oven 086.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 407
  • pizza oven 089.jpg
    pizza oven 089.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 406
Now you're just rubbin' it in. :)

Don't they still have freezing rain down Jackson way? How has your oven come through the recent, CONSTANT temp and condition swings?

Hello fellow cheese head!
Finally stopped raining last night, now it is freezing pretty well.
I keep the oven flue and approach tarped during winter and inclement weather.
The dome has three layers of waterproof render coat and is done "moving". The few hairline cracks have been caulked. (this is part of the finish "process")
Once the weather gets into the 50's, two more render coats will finish the dome, a rain cap will be installed over the flue and the approach brick work will be completed.
I do periodically cook in it during winter or at least make a small fire about every week to ensure any moisture that may have "wicked" in is dried out.
Will be running her at full tilt all weekend for a significant birthday....
I AM going to try some "overnight" butt this weekend since with the door on, it holds temp very well...

Go for it!
Just take your time, you will not be disappointed.
I expect the same results from the smoker, come on SPRING!!

I AM going to try some "overnight" butt this weekend since with the door on, it holds temp very well...

Exactly. There's so much heat mass in the oven even after 2 full days I can throw in a rack of spares, shut the door, and let her do its thing...

P1040721-1.jpg

Nice rack!
I intend to utilize the same concept (hence the "handle") in the smoker.
The fire box will be fire brick with insulating concrete (pearl crete) beneath the floor (6") and walls up to the fire brick "baffle/diffuser.
I have not decided on the lining for the food chamber yet. I am toying with stainless steel inner walls with 1" insulating concrete.
Or just split fire brick.
Or suggestions that come along...
What temp did you put the ribs in at? How long did they take" did you add any moisture (as with baking bread)??

Dude! Some details please, pretty pretty please? Did your pizza over start as a kt or did you fab it up? If the latter, a build thread would be great (hint, hint).

NOT a kit, lots of research and "Small Town" ingenuity-one brick at a time :)...
I will gladly share my build, just didn't want to hijack the bbq site for the pizza oven... Seems to be plenty of interest for it though?

I would assume it would just go underneath "Q-talk" category?

Was really looking for tips on the smoker part of the project. I'm sure they will come along. Spring is still at least a month away.

Nice rack!
What temp did you put the ribs in at? How long did they take" did you add any moisture (as with baking bread)??
Thanks.
During the summer my oven holds steady between 250F to 300F for a full day, roughly 48 hours after firing. I don't add moisture to the chamber, although I've spritzed the rack with apple juice on occasion. I just shut the insulated door and come back after 3 hours to check and usually be done in another hour or so. Ribs cook very evenly, no hot spots, as the volume of the chamber is large, with all that THERMAL MASS.

I've also cooked ribs and vegis in the oven, starting with a cold oven with a basket of charcoal briquettes going, instead of using firewood, tucked away in one corner.

No worries, Qtalk is about cooking food, most of it is bbq related but I know I'm not alone in wanting to see your build. Bring it on.

I think you might get a better response to your questions on building your smoker if you tell us your plan and let folks offer suggestions.

Thanks for the info Carbon.
I usually bake bread (I load her full) the next day after a "pizza firing" and a quick wet mop on the deck creates just enough steam for most type of breads.
My thoughts were that temp and time (held heat) should be an interesting test for a butt done overnight. I understand some bbq has been started at higher temps and moderated closer to target temps.
Perfect, by the time the hangover is worn off and time to start cooking again!
I have never used charcoal, I have a good supply of wood. (oak)

fingerlickn'-Thanks, I will get some "teaser" photos together and start a build thread.
I will better outline how I WANT to finish the smoker-and let the beatings begin. :)

Sweet!
and you are close enough that i dont have to build my own :wink:

Hello fellow cheese head!
Finally stopped raining last night, now it is freezing pretty well.
I keep the oven flue and approach tarped during winter and inclement weather.
The dome has three layers of waterproof render coat and is done "moving". The few hairline cracks have been caulked. (this is part of the finish "process")
Once the weather gets into the 50's, two more render coats will finish the dome, a rain cap will be installed over the flue and the approach brick work will be completed.
I do periodically cook in it during winter or at least make a small fire about every week to ensure any moisture that may have "wicked" in is dried out.
Will be running her at full tilt all weekend for a significant birthday....

If you have layers of waterproof render then you have essentially trapped in the moisture, you should always dry out the moisture then apply the water proofing agent.

Beef-you don't have a brick spit just east of downtown Ced by chance?
I WILL be hosting a bbq rendezvous once I get the smoker done and tuned in. Really look forward to sharing the experience with our fellow brethren!

V-wiz-I started a build thread with more details on construction process.
Briefly-As the oven is built, there is considerable amounts of time and small fires to cure each step (layer) of the oven. The render is not begun until the brick and insulating layers are COMPLETELY cured and dry.
Yes, if the render was completed before this it would hold in moisture.
The moisture I reference is really minimal. The fire brick on the inside is fairly porous and will hold a little moisture between firings. Similar to a stale saltine cracker.
It takes considerably more time and wood to get it heated to pizza temps after long periods of interactivity. When it is kept dry (inside) I can clear the dome (1000+deg) in about an hour. I also fill the oven with wood when it has cooled to below 300 deg. to both "pre-season" the wood for the next firing and help keep the fire brick "drier".

Here is a start at ideas for your snoker. it' a thread from about a week ago started my MariettaSmoker.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153355

If this style interests you, I'm willingbto try and digbup some more info & details. Maybe others here in the SE can help also.

Thanks for starting the build thread on the pizza oven. My wife wants one so Ive been doing a little research but got scared away from the "kit" prices.

Back