MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
seeker
Found some matches.

Default Vision Kamado - Indirect Setup

Hi all,

I don't usually post to forums but since I got some good info from this site I figured I would contribute what I am using for an indirect cooking setup in the Vision Kamado Costco sells.

I recently bought a Vision Classic Kamado and have been doing research on the best setup for indirect cooking with this unit. The stone sold by Vision looks adequate but I was looking for more flexibility and cooking options. After much research I decided to give the Kamado Joe heat deflector a try and here is what I found....in short it worked great!

The rack that came with the deflector fits the Vision fire box quite well. I went to work with my Dremel and made 3 notches similar to the ones on the KJ fire ring. The notches are not needed to make this setup work but they really lock the rack to the firebox and make it feel very solid.
Rack only.jpg

Here is a pic of the rack with the deflector plate installed. The gap between the plate and box is 3/4". I was a little concerned this might not be enough but it worked quite well.
deflector.jpg

The Vision grill also fit right on the KJ rack. This setup puts the grill height about 1" above the lip of the lower half...about perfect height!
Rack and deflector.jpg

To tests things out I loaded the grill up and put a full brisket on. After 12+ hours I was still holding 225 and things were looking really good.
brisket on grill.jpg

Here is the final result. Nice moist and great smokey taste!
Brisket done.jpg

All in all the deflector worked out great. It put the bottom grill right where I wanted it, works great for low and slow, and I am positive it will work well for pizza etc.. Hopefully this post will help others in their search for an indirect setup for these great grills.

Seeker
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

The Vision heat deflector leaves much to be desired, way too small of a diameter IMHO letting too much direct heat up to the food. This looks like a wonderful mod!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Propfrwrd
Found some matches.

That looks like a great set-up! I went to one of the local shops and they wanted $79 for the KJ heat deflector. While I'm all for supporting the local shops, $90 with tax seems pretty high.

That's for the large KJ, correct? Where did you get it?
Propfrwrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
seeker
Found some matches.

I was going to buy it on the web but decided to give the local Kamado Joe dealer a shot first. They were both the same at just under $50 bucks so I supported the local company.

The deflector is for their Classic Joe....not the Big Joe.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Propfrwrd
Found some matches.

Just to be sure, this is what I want, si?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...7&clickid=cart

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
seeker
Found some matches.

Yep...that's the one!

FYI, the heat deflector plate from KJ looks to be exactly the same as their pizza stone except for the wording embossed on the plates.

The next thing I'm going to try is a clay pot base sitting on the lower section of the rack with the deflector on the top...this should be a great pizza setup.

Seeker

Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Propfrwrd
Found some matches.

Nice! Post some pics!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the info.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Interesting set up.
Would that fit a old kamado?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
seeker
Found some matches.

As long as the I.D. of your firebox or fire ring is 16-17" where the grill gate sits it will work just fine.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

seeker, how do you like the vision? i have been looking at that every time i go to costco. seems solid and a decent deal. any input would be splendid.

of note, i have a weber performer that does just fine for grilling and a drum for smoking. looking for another tool for the shed!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
seeker
Found some matches.

sbramm, I love it!

As far as the build of the grill I really cannot fault any part of it. Though nothing is extremely heavy duty, nothing is wimpy either. Even the grill cover seems well constructed. The grill has gotten wet several times and hasn't affected anything negatively. I have smoked and had it over 600 degrees many times and everything is holding up very well.

I have a Traeger 075 that I use frequently and have never really been satisfied with the smoke flavor coming off it. Even with premium pellets it still seems light at best. The kamado does not have that problem. The smoke flavor I am getting is excellent and easily controlled by the amount of wood chunks added!

This thing still amazes me everytime I load it up with $3.00 of charcoal and watch it burn steady for 15-20 hours. The Traeger would cost me 2-3 times as much in pellets, I'd be listening to the blower running all night, and I still wouldn't get the flavor this kamado delivers.

I would highly recommend it!

Here is a pic of the pizza
Pizza.jpg

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
yellowmyth
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I had also purchased the Vision Grill from Costco and bought the stone for indirect heat. I found the stone to be cumbersome and did not do much of a good job deflecting the heat. The problem with the stone made by Vision Grill is that you have to place the stone on the main grill and place the meat on the elevated rack. There was not much room for a drip pan. Thanks for "taking one for the team"! Great post!
yellowmyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmyth View Post
The problem with the stone made by Vision Grill is that you have to place the stone on the main grill and place the meat on the elevated rack.
On the Vision, you are supposed to put the lava stone on the flat stainless support that makes an "X" and hang that on the firepot. Then you put the grate in so there is a gap. You can also add the elevated grate too if you want, in order to create more space between the stone and the cooking surface.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
wiski
Found some matches.

Hi everyone looks like a great spot you guys have here. I`ve been waiting all week end to see these pics, this is exactly what I need, thanks for posting.
wiski is offline   Reply With Quote