MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Sealing the Lid on a UDS

Fellow Drumheads,
I see a lot of guys sealing the lids to their UDS's to make an airtight seal. I'm not sure why this is important. Why does it matter if the air leaks through small gaps rather than the large holes that you've drilled in the lid? This applies to those of us using Weber lids as well. The gaps are above (although slightly) above the cooking grate and far away from the combustion area. So what's the difference if the exhaust comes out the side or through the exhaust?

The only benefit I see is that the air-tight seal helps distinguish the fire after the cook is through.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

My lid is not air tight and my coals snuff out completely when I close the vents. As you say otherwise, I don't think it makes a difference.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it is not excessive leakage it won't make much difference to the cooking; however, it may make a big difference to dripping on the outside of the drum.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

Mine doesn't seal great, works fine.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

The only problem I can see is the ability to keep your temps constant or at a desired temperature.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I make sure all my lids seal for two reasons, one to keep moisture from dripping on the powdwer coating and two, Snail a man that's has used these for awhile used to run his lid being propped open for temp regulation. He had no other intake. If you think it won't add air to the fire, try it. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Chief_USN
Knows what a fatty is.

I haven't cooked on mine yet, but from what I have read is it does help with temp control. I did mine mainly for aesthetics. I think it looks better cooking when all the smoke is coming out of the exhaust and not the lid. JMHO though.

Chad

Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D
Default Re: Sealing the Lid on a UDS

Fire management helps temp control and snuffin it out, after a lot of cooks you wont have any leaks.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

I aint got any seal on mine apart from a good ol layer of creosote/tar/smoke/liquid rundown whatever it is buildup. Works real good and dies off as soon as shut the air vent. Mind you mine is a real ugly UDS with no paint or nothing so the rundown actually stops it rusting a bit But the Weber lid fits perfect coz I took out a wedge from the drumtop and welded it up real good. I reckon thats the secret, Well actually welded it pretty darned rough and spent some time with a grinder re doing it and making it look good to tell the truth. 1st welding attempt!

Muzza.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Assuming the leaks are much smaller than an exhaust hole, how does it affect temperature management?

For a drum lid, the gap is at the same height as the exhaust hole. I don't think the exhaust cares if it comes out of a hole you drilled or a small gap between the lid and the drum.

For either, I can't see a small gap doing much of anything because the pressure is greater inside the drum pushing the hot air out - not letting cold air. If the gap was located lower than the cooking grate height, it might be different.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Mine leaks a bit around the edges with the Weber lid and I don't worry about it. The fire is far enough below that point that those air leaks don't play much of a role in snuffing out the fire. When I close the air intake vents the fire snuffs out rather quickly.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote