MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Smokering23
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Team name trademarked???

Hello - I entered 4 competitions last year and had a lot of fun doing so. I'm getting some feedback through friends and family that I should expand my effort and thought it might make sense to trademark the team brand. Just curios if anyone has trademarked their BBQ competition team name. Could you share your ideas on trademarking or similar? Should I be afraid of someone ripping off my logo/name etc?
Thank you,
Erik

Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

What are your concerns?

If you are selling a product with your brand, and it's really popular (Is your team name "Butcher BBQ" or "The BBQ Guru" ?) then yes. Otherwise, no need. A BBQ team name doesn't have any commercial value if you are not selling products.

At least with KCBS, once you cook under a team name, it's locked in. Other people can't use the same name. That is mainly what people worry about. If you aren't turning it into a business, don't worry about it.

(You can always name your team something like ZBQ so nobody will steal it: "What does that mean anyway?" "What do you mean you don't know?" "Oh, I see they are giving out those 120 team boxes in alphabetical order again." )
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

I trademark everything.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

My logo and name are trademarked.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Trademark on name and logo.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

to many buttheads out their for me to trademark

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Smokering23

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I was worried someone would steal our name/logo. I've only done one KCBS amateur event, does that mean I am "locked in" with team name with KCBS?
Thanks a bunch!
Erik

Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering23 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I was worried someone would steal our name/logo. I've only done one KCBS amateur event, does that mean I am "locked in" with team name with KCBS?
Thanks a bunch!
Erik
Just curious what your team name is, and if you did a thorough search to see if it was already being used by someone else.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

For those that did trade mark. How much did it cost and were the steps you had to take to trade mark you name and logo?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Trademarks sound nice, but unless you are a large company paying attorneys to defend its name...

Your trademark doesn't mean anything to anyone if they want to use it in the business world.

You will be paying thru your bbq to defend it.

Use any name you want for commercial purposes. It's up to them and their money to defend it. You also could trademark any name that is already trademarked.....register in a different category and see what happens.

For bbq comps......i think anyone would want to use an authentic name.

Last edited by Motley Q; 03-04-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering23 View Post
Thanks a bunch!
Erik
No. You can cook under another name if you want. It just means that if someone tries to use your exact name, they can't, or at least you can complain and force them to change their name if the do. That said, the name doesn't have to change by much.

"Smoke Up Your Butt BBQ"

"KC's Smoke Up Your Butt"

"Smoke Up Your Butt, Farker City, NJ"

...are all different team names.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Smokering23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
No. You can cook under another name if you want. It just means that if someone tries to use your exact name, they can't, or at least you can complain and force them to change their name if the do. That said, the name doesn't have to change by much.

"Smoke Up Your Butt BBQ"

"KC's Smoke Up Your Butt"

"Smoke Up Your Butt, Farker City, NJ"

...are all different team names.
Thanks for all the insight. We have a name and logo(shirts, banners, etc) and I don't want to cook under another name. I was concerned someone would steal our name/logo and trademark it and beat me to it if I didn't. I like the fact that if I use in KCBS comp nobody else can. I agree with the earlier point of not spending the money unless I plan to sell product. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I personally wouldn't spend the money on trademarking but then again who else is gonna use "Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team".

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post

(You can always name your team something like ZBQ so nobody will steal it: "What does that mean anyway?" "What do you mean you don't know?" "Oh, I see they are giving out those 120 team boxes in alphabetical order again." )
Just don't put the word "The" in front of it either...
Had we thought about the implications of those three letters, we would have stuck with 5th Artery...

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Marrs
On the road to being a farker

This is from a purely business perspective. If you have any inkling of a desire to use the name for a business then spend the money to trademark it. You can do it yourself through the trademark and patent office. It's not that expensive. In my experience it does serve as a deterrent. Our trademarked brands don't get messed with. I have a couple that I didn't trademark and have several competitors using the names in various ways. I've got precedent and could likely get the mark and make them stop, but it would be a much bigger pain to do it now.

One other thing I would add to that is use as unique of a name as you can because that will make it easier to protect.

WSM 22.5 modified, Mini WSM. 22.5 OTG. Genesis Silver. Flowerpot Tandoor 19. Proud Supporter of Operation BBQ Relief!
Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote