Meat Grinder

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Professor Dickweed
Okay, I need your help.

I found out, after digging through junk in the basement, that I have a Oster meat grinder.

Grandma used it to grind up a cooked round roast today, with ground onions, to make a holiday treat of kreplach (jewish meat dumplings in chicken broth)

Kinda like ravioli, but bigger. I had farking 22 of these things, and am gonna burst.

BOT.

I now have this pretty good meat grinder. So I ask you, what do you use this for BESIDES making sausage.

I want to start using this thing on a regular basis, but don't know how too.

The round roast today was already cooked, and worked great. Do these things clog with using raw meat?

Having had only marginal results with a slicer I got, I wanted to defer to you all for tips or techniques/ideas.

Anyone?

Lucky You!! Now you are Golden!! It's Sausage Time in Chi-Town!! There are so many things that you can do with the meat grinder.

spicewine said:
There are so many things that you can do with the meat grinder.

Jay man,

Please re read my original post, and answer your above post.

I first said BESIDES sausage, and as far as your quote above, name one or ten farking things you can do with a meat grinder.

You can use them to dispose of your enemies.

Not that I would have first hand information of course.

BrooklynQ said:
You can use them to dispose of your enemies.

Not that I would have first hand information of course.

The opening is usually too small for such a thing. And, they usually won't stand still long enough to get any of the good parts down....

I don't know about you guys but we make lots of sausage with our Kitchen Aide using the grinder/sausage attachment. My favorite is homemade Kielbasa.

JohnMcD348 said:
The opening is usually too small for such a thing. And, they usually won't stand still long enough to get any of the good parts down....

Well there is some prep work involved.

BOT - Chad I did a web search on 10 things to do with a meat grinder - believe me you don't want to see the results. Stick with sausage!

Okay, sorry I asked.

I'll know better next time

Anyone who wants the kreplach recipe, PM me.

Well, you can use it to make authentic Burgoo.

Everything in Burgoo (except for corn kernels and lima beans) is
run through a grinder.

Meats are run throught the grinder after cooking - usually boiled to generate the broth for the Burgoo.

Bill.....besides making sausage, you can make your own ground beef and experiment not only with the amount of fat used with it but the type of fat (beef vs. pork).

We used ours to make souse with too. I used to think it was pretty good til I found out what was in it.....think potted meat.

You can use it for a variety of things such as to grind up nuts, fruit, cheese, and vegetables. Whene we make sauce we use it for the tomatoes

Bill: it's a MEAT grinder!:biggrin:

We used to have an Oster kitchen center with all the attachments (we now have a Kichen Aid mixer with most of the attachments).

We use ours for grinding cranberries for a salad we make around the holidays. We also use it to grind ham for a ham loaf (wife's family's recipe). I have the stuffer attachment for sausages and you can get the pasta attachment for Oster products.

As already stated, grind your own beef. I've been using the Kitchen Aid for that for years. A lot of the ground beef we keep in the freezer is ground sirloin. When we do a caserole that requires draining I end up skipping that step because there isn't enough grease to drain. When I'm grilling burgers often in the summer it's usually a sirloin/chusk mix that has been ground at home. make your own beef enchiladas? Yep, grind it yourself. Next time you make some chili, try doing some of the meat on a course grind along with cubing some up for a little different texture. I know you don't want sausage, but you really could develop the custom fatty using that grinder. You control everything including fat content.

Found yourself looking at the grinder, the four legged visitor, and back to the grinder yet? 8)

See, this is what happens when people limit their thoughts to only one activity. You all are bent on making a food. I'm talking you got a prime a Chum producer.

Go snag a couple of menhaden, a couple of spanish macks, and oat meal. Run it all through the grinder and place into a half gallon milk container. freze for several days. Put in net bag and hang off boat. Sure to produce a wonderful slick for sharks, bluefish, etc.

Yup, you got a winner product there!!! Scott

Jorge said:
Found yourself looking at the grinder, the four legged visitor, and back to the grinder yet? 8)

On a related and not necessarily off topic note, have you noticed how most all pet stores have a chinese restaurant nearby?

:shock:

OK... The chum idea is cool, but about the only thing you can chum up around here is carp (or maybe a monster flathead), so let's go back to food...

Bill... As already mentioned, you can use it to grind raw meat. I've cound that ground pork and lamb is hard to find in the stores around here, so I break out my girnder to grind pork for meat loaf and lamb for gyros (using Alton Broan's recipe). You can also grind cooked meats, as you've already found out. Make hash. Take some leftover meat, onions and potatos and make some hash. If you use corned beef, you get corned beef hash for breakfast, but if you use roast beef or brisket you gat a nice beef hash that is great fried up for dinner. You can also grind up raw chicken or turkey and make your own breakfast sausage patties. How about grinding up some tuna for tuna burgers? (oh yeah, you';re not a sea food fan, are you? Skip the last one...)

How's that for ideas?

Ron_L said:
How's that for ideas?

Great Ron

I like the brisket hash idea.

And I haven't had smoked chum in weeks. Thanks Yak.

Mo In Law boiled up a round roast in a chicken broth mixture for about 3 hours. Meanwhile, she makes a noodle dough, but cuts into squares instead of noodle strands.

Take the roast, chunk it, and put it through the meat grinder. Then put an onion wedge or two every other couple grinds.

Take this cooked meat/onion material, pepper it a bit, and put onto noodle square. Take a larger square and cover the "dumpling", sealing the edges.

She made 64 of them last night. add them back to the pot that has the chicken broth and cook for 20 minutes.

I had 22 of these farkers last night.

Kreplach. Very good ethnic food

I also vote for making your own ground beef. I like to grind beef and pork butt together and grill it. You can't beet the moisture, flavor and texture. You also know exactly what ended up in your ground meat.

Grind your own beef, pork, veal, or turkey. Use to make meat balls or meat loaf, you can even add shredded cheese. Speaking of carp....... I grind up raw carp with bacon and spices and use to make fish patties. Dip them in egg and crushed crackers and pan fry or deep fat fry. Delicious!

Back