My Run at Wampus' Brisket Chili

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since I smoke food, everyone thinks I can cook everything. So....

I was signed up to do the chili cook off for our campground Olympics.

I'm taking a first shot at Wampus' brisket chili. I have the dry ingredients marinating in a mason jar starting tonight. I smoked a small brisket Tuesday night using BPS Jallelujah Bacon rub and Money rub (Fan-Freaking-Tastic!).

I guess this question goes out to Wampus: If turn-in is at 11:30 am Saturday, what time do I want to the combined mixture to start simmering?

I'm not sure how Wampus does it, but I would cook a day ahead of time and cool down to let the flavors meld overnight and reheat.

I read through Wampus' recipe. Not sure if he simmers for 2 hours or 3 hours or 5 hours (2+5).

My take on his recipe is that the chili is simmered a total of 3 hours. He says it will be done at 2 hours but suggests that it be simmered 3 hours.

On track so far. Going to simmer two hours tonight and then put it on three hours before turn-in tomorrow. Brisket goes in 1/2 hour before turn in. Flavor profile is good. Excellent taste with heat down the stretch.

Simmered for two hours last night.

This morning I woke up and did a quick taste test. That "powdery" substance you see on the surface is some Jallelujah Jalapeno Bacon rub from BPS. I also added a little salt and it seems just about right. I'm not going to fark with it anymore and ruin it. I'll have another pic when I add the brisket, and I'll try to shoot some video when people start tasting.

Back