Is all temperature the same regardless of smoker used ?

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
One of my favorite Brethren (OK it was Sledneck :roll:) and I got on the topic meat cooking quicker in certain smokers over others.

Question: If you have two identical cuts of meat, cooking under same conditions, and temp set at 225 degrees at grate level in a WSM, Klose, UDS, FEC, BGE, Spicewine, Bandera etc will the meats all get done at the same time ?

Sled and I anxiously await your scientific explanations either way.

Discuss.. :biggrin:

Nope...my UDS (sans deflector shield) cooks quicker than my WSM (with water in the pan) at the same temp...trust me on this...really! :lol:

Nope...my UDS (sans deflector shield) cooks quicker than my WSM (with water in the pan) at the same temp...trust me on this...really! :lol:

I agree - and my UDS with the deflecter (grilling wok - lotsa holes in it) also does.

I think temps vary a lot due to moisture/humidity that cooker contains. Has a lot to do with airflow.

I believe the WSM cooks faster because the Porcelain finish reflects the heat better than most other cookers. :icon_cool

Less water cooks faster because the water acts as a heat sink.

Maybe so.. but if it's at a constant 225 degrees through proper firebox/charcoal management... what causes it to be done noticeably faster if the temp at where the meat is located is the same ?

For the record, my opinion is that while it might be possible, I've not yet experienced this to any noticeable degree where I could definitely claim one was consistently faster than another... and I've cooked extensively on a BGE, Pitts & Spitts offset, Spicewine, WSM (sometimes with and without water for the Spicebox and WSM). I've also had the opportunity to cook on an FEC, Klose, Bandera etc. on multiple occasions. No experience with a UDS.

Yep, when I throw pumpkins and corn in with the meat the temp rises slower and a lot more steam comes out, definitely takes longer.

I'd have to agree with others that humidity most likely a factor. Think about when you foil a brisket while monitoring internal meat temps. The internal temps will always shoot up quickly, and then die back down again once you remove the foil. I've always wondered what caused this effect, and assumed it was the fact that the steam is trapped in the foil and the humidty goes through the roof.
Ribs also, we all know that foiled ribs will cook faster than un-foiled ribs. Is humidity the reason?
Someone needs to get a government grant and do a study on this. Tell them it's a study to reduce CO2 emission and you'll get plenty of money. :-D

They cook at different rates. UDS definitely cooks food faster than other cookers from the direct heat.

Air flow has been mentioned. That is pertinent. Does a convection oven cook faster than a conventional oven?

More or less moisture cooks faster in your opinion ?

To a point. Think 2 butts on any smoker, both 165 deg. Foil one and it will climb faster. But on the other hand think your spicewine. If you maintain the waterpan 3/4 full to full food cooks slow but as water cooks off it gets better. I know it is a contradiction but I believe it is a balance. Also I believe the amount of salt in rub and length of time applied also affects cook time. Have you ever noticed injected meat seems to cook faster?

sorry, I answered a question with a question. My bad. A convection oven does cook faster than a conventional oven.

I believe that some of the effect is due to smoke temp and the heat radiated from the hot baffle. the water pan is a cool heat sink stopping the radiated heat. foiled meat heats faster because the moisture is trapped, evaporating moisture cools the meat much like perspiration cools your bod on a hot day. high humidity (steam ) should cook faster if your water pan is not between the heat source and the meat blocking the radiant heat.

Maybe so.. but if it's at a constant 225 degrees through proper firebox/charcoal management... what causes it to be done noticeably faster if the temp at where the meat is located is the same ?

For the record, my opinion is that while it might be possible, I've not yet experienced this to any noticeable degree where I could definitely claim one was consistently faster than another... and I've cooked extensively on a BGE, Pitts & Spitts offset, Spicewine, WSM (sometimes with and without water for the Spicebox and WSM). I've also had the opportunity to cook on an FEC, Klose, Bandera etc. on multiple occasions. No experience with a UDS.

As for the WSM vs UDS.... the UDS should cook quicker... since it does not have water pan, you get both radiant heat, and infrared heat

As far as an FEC vs. a WSM at 225.... The FEC (or a spicewine with a guru, etc) has CONVECTION working in its favor... so it should cook quicker at the same given temp, due to the forced air, and convection going on in the cooker.

To a point. Think 2 butts on any smoker, both 165 deg. Foil one and it will climb faster. But on the other hand think your spicewine. If you maintain the waterpan 3/4 full to full food cooks slow but as water cooks off it gets better. I know it is a contradiction but I believe it is a balance. Also I believe the amount of salt in rub and length of time applied also affects cook time. Have you ever noticed injected meat seems to cook faster?

That water in the spice boils at 212; as long as there is water to boil, that cooker temp will not spike, and the water in the chamber is absorbing that heat, and using its energy to produce the steam.

I believe injected meats seem to cook faster because the injection has actually started to chemically "cook" the meats - so they are already breaking down vs. having to wait for the cooking process to do all that work. For example in that pork butt... if you injection uses anything with papain in it, that enzyme will break down the protien you put it on/in much quicker than if you do not use it.

Back