chipotle's from green jalapenos?

ams14

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So ever since i read this thread a while back

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31179

I've been wanting to try it. I've been hitting all the green chile/pepper stands that pop up around town this time of year but they only have green jaleps. I think people traditionally use the red ones, but what would be the harm if I used the green ones? Anyone tried that?

Andy, I have no experience but I would think once they are smoked and dehydrated, you would not be able to tell the difference.

Cool! I will pick up a half-bushell of greens and give it a try this weekend.

I split mine in half to expose more surface area and partially smoke-dry them in my Bandera on 1 of these these trays per rack. I finish overnight in an oven at about 150 deg. F

Last edited:
sure! try it! but they won't be chipotles, they will be smoked, dried green jalapenos. everything i've ever read says chipotles are made from ripe, red jalapenos.

from wiki:
"Typically, a grower will pass through a jalapeño field multiple times, picking the best green jalapeños for market. At the end of the growing season, jalapeños naturally begin to turn bright orange. There is an extensive fresh market for red jalapeños in both Mexico and the United States. They are kept on the vine as long as possible. When the jalapeños are deep red and have lost much of their moisture, they are selected to be made into chipotles. Many U.S. growers instead disk the red jalapeños into the ground."

the best way to get red jalapenos is to grow your own.

I just smoked a few dozen ripe green ones from my garden. They are awesome. I have not dried them and am debating on whether I want to, or not. they are great right out of the bag and I'm gonna make some sauces/salsas with them and freeze a few...dang tasty, I'm tellin' ya

Buy some green ones and put in your window for a couple weeks. They should ripen up.

Use whatever you can get, they are the same exact thing. Red was traditionally used because they don't have as much market value, a jalepeno is supposed to be green right?

Although my palate isnt sophisticated enough to tell the difference, Jalaps, like chilies, supposedly get 'sweeter' as they ripen to red.

I do them both ways. I've never dried them though. I just freeze them on a cookie sheet so they dont stick together and then bag em.

I smoke all my peppers in the green stage. Frankly, I can't tell any difference in a mature green pepper and a red one. I'm in CO and the growing season isn't very long so I just go mature green and thus get more peppers off my plants before the year end freeze.

Here are some Thai Dragons I did a week or two ago:

SmokedThais.jpg

Back