MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
I'm speechless...
I'm vomitting...
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Westexbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
I'm vomitting...

Hey, there ya are!
Wondering when we would hear from you!
But there is algebra involved........
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't wait to try this!! I hope I have better luck then the deep fried chili.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
bigabyte

I took the "Spammy Dean" sausage (the seasoned Spam/Bacon grind sausage) and rolled it into a tube and coated with a No-Salt rub. I figure between the Spam and the Bacon, it has enough salt.

Then I took the plain ground Spam/Bacon meat and mixed it with 1 pound of Jimmy Dean regular breakfast sausage. I rolled this into a tube and applied a mix of the No-Salt rub and my regular rub.

I also rubbed a 1 pound Jimmy Dean regular sausage with my regular rub. This will be my Control fatty.

I also opened one can of Spam, no rub thank you. This will be my Control Spam.

Here is a pic of the fatties and Spam all rubbed up. The one in the back is the Spammy Dean sausage blend I made up, the middle one is the one that is a mix of Jimmy Dean sausage and Spam/Bacon grind. The one up front is the regular Jimmy Dean control fatty, and next to that is the control Spam.

I put them in the WSM at 275. In just a few more hours the tasting will begin. I wonder if I should get a defibrillator, just in case?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I wonder if I should get a defibrillator, just in case?
Or a shovel

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

God Bless You Brutha

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #22
AlbuQue
Full Fledged Farker

"I pressed it thin and cooked it well similar to the way they do burgers at Winsteads..."

Oh that brings back memories of my youth back in KC in the 50's and 60's....

UDS
1 Super-Fast [COLOR=blue][B][U]Blue[/U][/B][/COLOR] Thermopen on order
AlbuQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I can not wait to hear the results. It sounds really good
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #24
raiderx
On the road to being a farker

This is possibly the greatest thing I have ever heard of. I know it's not "real meat" but I have loved SPAM ever since I was a little kid. Bad upbringing, I guess.
raiderx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #25
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm so excited. feel like a kid in the candy store.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
bigabyte

The fatties are DONE!!!

The Spammy Dean sausage fatty, the one made from all Spam and Bacon and seasoned to taste like Jimmy Dean, did not hold together too well during the removal process. It didn't really want to hold together too well overall really. Here is a pic of the finished products.

Starting in back from left to right is the regular Jimmy Dean control fatty, the Spam/Bacon grind mixed with regular Jimmy Dean fatty, and the one on the right is the pure Spammy Dean made from only Spam, Bacon and seasonings. Up front there is the control Spam.

I couldn't get a good clean slice off of the Spammy Dean fatty, it was just too crumbly. So I pulled off a chunk and took a picture of it.

It tasted FANTASTIC! It tasted somewhat similar to a regular fatty, but with a certain zing which I'm sure was from the Spam and Bacon. I took a slice of the regular fatty to do some side-by-side taste comparisons. The taste was very similar in many ways except the Spammy Dean was better. It was more exciting and the taste just sort of jumped out at ya!

Next I sliced off the end of the other Fatty, the one made from the Spam/Bacon grind mixed with regular Jimmy Dean sausage. Here is a pic.

It tasted different from the other two fatties. It was good, but I thought the other Spammy Dean was much better (although crumbly). I did some side-by-side taste testing between it, the regular fatty, and the Spammy Dean. This one had some taste of regular breakfast sausage fatty, but the Spam/Bacon mix toned it down and made it more like a smoked sausage with some breakfast sausage seasonings in a way. Ypou could taste the Spam about as equally as you could the breakfast sausage.

For the final taste rankings of the fatties, the Spammy Dean was the best in my opinion, by a fairly wide margin. The regular fatty and the mixed one were about equal in flavor pleasure in my opinion.

the Spammy Dean had a major drawback in crumbliness however. The one mixed with some Jimmy Dean however held together fine. Maybe if I did a mix of Spammy Dean and Jimmy Dean I would get the best of both worlds? Maybe I will try that in a future experiment.

For now however, I have Spammy Dean's to go eat...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #27
bigabyte

My 13 year old son just got home from school. I asked him to sample a slice of each of the 3 fatties. He said the Spammy Dean had the most flavor and he liked it the best. He liked the mixed one second best, making the regular fatty come in last (in his opinion anyway).

The funny part is, I offered him some of the Spam and he reminded me that he HATES Spam. I asked, "Are you sure"? He said, "Oh yeah, remember, I tried it once and I hated it".

I didn't have the heart to tell him what his two favorite sausages were made from.

Duh.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #28
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Classic! Experimenting with Fatties...what could be a better excuse to cook more fatties.

Does Jimmy know about his new brother Spammy?
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #29
bigabyte

Ladies and Gentlemen (ok, ladies for most of you), I will be so bold as to say the regular fatty is now obsolete. Long live Spammy Dean!

I'm drinking a beer now, stuffed out of my gourd after a boys night "in" fatty feeding frenzy! My 13 year old is laying on the couch watching TV saying how stuffed he is. My 8 year old autistic son even got in on the action. He saw us eating the sausage and asked for some. At one point, he grabbed a big chunk off the Spammy Dean and ran off with it!

There is only about 1/3 of the original Spammy Dean left. There is still almost all of the regular fatty and the mixed fatty, and the Spam only got one slice taken out of it by me during the taste testings.

This stuff is too good. At least my kids are young and in good health and this hopefully will not kill them. As for me, this could very well be my last beer. Man was not meant to live on Spammy Dean alone, but that is basically what we ate tonight!

Duh.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #30
mbshop
Babbling Farker

funny how it didn't stay together. maybe an egg should be added ? sounds like a good idea. now i gotta get a grinder---------

Tags
fatty, SPAM, SPAM Fatty, SPAMMY Dean