Team Names

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We are finally going to do a comp this fall. We have picked out a name for our team, and I was wondering if there is something we're supposed to do as far checking to see if any one else has used it before (unlikely) or regestering it so no one else can use it (once we're famous)?
I know there is a team data base on the KCBS site. Is that the last word on the subject?
You all have had this same question at one time so whats the answer?
Thanks
ModelMaker

There is nothing hat is official that i know of. Besides the list on the KCBS site there is

http://www.bbqteamnames.com/

But listing your team on wither doesn't guarantee exclusivity. You could always register your name as a trademark (or whatever is appropriate), but that costs money.

There is nothing hat is official that i know of. Besides the list on the KCBS site there is

http://www.bbqteamnames.com/

But listing your team on wither doesn't guarantee exclusivity. You could always register your name as a trademark (or whatever is appropriate), but that costs money.
I dont get why some would pay $9.95 to be listed in that database. I must say that Ray Basso is a smart man for doing it though

How would someone go about getting a name trademarked?

I know there is a team data base on the KCBS site. Is that the last word on the subject?
You all have had this same question at one time so whats the answer?
Thanks
ModelMaker

Herein lies a problem with the KCBS process. Until they come up with some sort of team registration process and assign each team a unique identifier, the system is vulnerable to duplicates. There are several duplicate team names now competing and a bunch of nearly duplicate names.

The only protection you can get is to register as a trademark but the problem with that is that you would have to pay a lot of money to enforce it if you noticed an infringement.

I have a list of 2500+ KCBS team names that I track for ranking purposes. I could publish that list if all you wanted to do was see if any ranked teams have similar names.

I looked at the data base from KCBS and it was ok and I have not seen anything similar around here so I'm ok with it. I logged it into the KCBS site ,so off we go!!!
Team HART BURN is born.....
ModelMaker

Herein lies a problem with the KCBS process. Until they come up with some sort of team registration process and assign each team a unique identifier, the system is vulnerable to duplicates. There are several duplicate team names now competing and a bunch of nearly duplicate names.

The only protection you can get is to register as a trademark but the problem with that is that you would have to pay a lot of money to enforce it if you noticed an infringement.

I have a list of 2500+ KCBS team names that I track for ranking purposes. I could publish that list if all you wanted to do was see if any ranked teams have similar names.

Ed, check out http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php

This list obviously doesn't include all the KCBS teams, but if the team has taken the time to list their team on the KCBS site, I think it would be at least common courtesy to not use the same name. So hope this kind of helps.

I looked at the data base from KCBS and it was ok and I have not seen anything similar around here so I'm ok with it. I logged it into the KCBS site ,so off we go!!!
Team HART BURN is born.....
ModelMaker
Good one, now let me run over and register before you do:tongue:

I would imagine that's why the KCBS current team rankings have been "coming soon" on the KCBS website since the first of the year Paul. The KCBS approved a new TOY point system last year whereas each team at a contest, whether member or not, receives points at a contest, and they (the KCBS) sure seem to be taking a long time to figure out how to implement and publish the points standings per the new system that they approved.

I would love to see you publish your team name database on your site, and would further like to see you on the KCBS Technology Committee,,,,,,,,,,

I dont get why some would pay $9.95 to be listed in that database. I must say that Ray Basso is a smart man for doing it though

Hey Sled, is that something new ? I registered my name there a few years back and it was free...

The Pickled Pig's Web site along with NationalBBQRankings.com are good ways to see if someone has the same name as you.

Seems like National BBQ Rankings haven't fully been updated in almost two months. Sad, I like that site.

Good one, now let me run over and register before you do:tongue:

and besides, unless your name starts with HART it pry wouldn't make much sense....
ModelMaker (Mr. Hartman)

and besides, unless your name starts with HART it pry wouldn't make much sense....
ModelMaker (Mr. Hartman)

Someone might harbor a secret love for Hart to Hart (the old nighttime drama) or
Sled might just make a banner that says Welocme from Hart Bern!!!!

Back