20# Pork Shoulder

pat

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Started this 20# bad boy around 7:00 Saturday morning. I stopped counting the hours around 10:00 last night :shock:. Unfortunately the skin had already been removed, but it still had a nice fat cap. Kept the temps around 240-250* the majority of the time and used some hickory and black cherry for smoke. Made some Piedmont style Carolina sauce to serve on the side.

040-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

043-2.jpg

Salmon w/Plowboys Yardbird for snackin'
002-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

Breakfast is served (finally) :biggrin:
012-3.jpg

Man does that ever look good Pat. How long did the Salmon take on the drum?
What is piedmont Style Carolina sauce, recipie? I have made Carolina Red from the book Smoke and Spice. Just love the vinegar base sauces.:icon_bigsmil

By the way, where did you get a full shoulder from?

Hey Matt. I got it at Fareway on Euclid. I think I might be incorrect about it being a shoulder. I was informed by someone this morning that it looks like a fresh ham..not a shoulder. Oh well, either way it was really tasty.

Hey Matt. I got it at Fareway on Euclid. I think I might be incorrect about it being a shoulder. I was informed by someone this morning that it looks like a fresh ham..not a shoulder. Oh well, either way it was really tasty.

I was thinkin' the same thing. Just call it a a rear shoulder ....... :biggrin: Hey Pat did you use any injection?

Man does that ever look good Pat. How long did the Salmon take on the drum?
What is piedmont Style Carolina sauce, recipie? I have made Carolina Red from the book Smoke and Spice. Just love the vinegar base sauces.:icon_bigsmil

The salmon took about 1 hour to reach 140* internal. Has such a great flavor and is so moist on the drum!

Here is the Piedmont sauce I used.

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces:

This is a non-typical, vinegar and ketchup-based
Piedmont mop (Lexington-style). Use on pork.

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Makes about 2 cups

Combine all of the ingredients in a large nonreactive saucepan,
and blend well. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the
heat, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This sauce will keep for several weeks in an airtight jar in
the refrigerator.

I was thinkin' the same thing. Just call it a a rear shoulder ....... :biggrin: Hey Pat did you use any injection?

Hi Wayne. I didn't use an injection but wish I would have for something this large. It did get a little dry in spots. By looking at the size of my gutt, I don't think it will stop me from eating it! :rolleyes:

Thanks Pat, the Smoke and Spice recipe uses less ketchup and sugar and is not cooked. Will have to try this. I love the Carolina red sauce on Pulled pork and chicken:icon_bigsmil

Hi Wayne. I didn't use an injection but wish I would have for something this large. It did get a little dry in spots. By looking at the size of my gutt, I don't think it will stop me from eating it! :rolleyes:

I like to shoot the bigger pieces and for future reference, it works good to shoot them again while they are in the plateau.

All I can say is WOW!!! That looks great and I am sure it tasted the same.

That is one horkin' hunk-o-pork bro! :biggrin: I noticed you were using Paul Kirk's recipe for your mop...I'm taking his class next Sunday and lookin' forward to pickin' his brain! I just hope some of it sticks! :eek:

Back