MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #106
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, I was also just wondering, how to get this sauce a little thicker, if not having any xanthan gum. The modified sauce I produced has a nice consistency, not really too liquid, but a touch thicker would not hurt either. So what additional ingredient would fit for this recipe to get it a little thicker?

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #107
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

tomato paste... excellent results

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #108
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Oh also, if you go with the stout, you can reduce the addition of water you see in my video above pork

Edict.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #109
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Heating the sauce might slightly change its flavor. But, if you want to thicken it up a little, mix together very well 1/4 cup of the cool or room temperature sauce with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Bring the remaining sauce to a simmer. Briskly whisk in the sauce/cornstarch mixture. Let it simmer for about 1 minute or so.

This is for 16 ounces of sauce. You will need to adjust the amount of cornstarch if thickening more or less sauce.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #110
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I thought about the tomato paste but trying not to change the flavor until I have had a chance to use it as is, thanks PT.

Was thinking of the method you are saying. Thought if I made a slurry by heating the thickening agent up by its self, letting it cool and adding to the sauce again so as not to change the taste to much. Not even sure I will want to thicken it but if I do it would be a nice thing for a last minute glaze.
Dave

Guess I don't know how to use the mult-quote, anyone want to guide me through that process?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #111
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Guess I don't know how to use the mult-quote, anyone want to guide me through that process?
Simply click on the "+ buttons of the messages you want to quote, the buttons turn red afterward, then when you are ready, click on the reply button, that's it.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #112
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Bo we had this sauce last night on our PP sammies and wow we loved it. I made it on Monday so it had a good 5 days to rest and it was awesome. Thanks again.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #113
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Simply click on the "+ buttons of the messages you want to quote, the buttons turn red afterward, then when you are ready, click on the reply button, that's it.
Ok testing to see if I can l do this. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Quote:
I thought about the tomato paste but trying not to change the flavor until I have had a chance to use it as is, thanks PT.

Was thinking of the method you are saying. Thought if I made a slurry by heating the thickening agent up by its self, letting it cool and adding to the sauce again so as not to change the taste to much. Not even sure I will want to thicken it but if I do it would be a nice thing for a last minute glaze.
Dave

Just testing to see if I can make it work, sorry if I made you look.
Dave

Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #114
bigabyte

This stuff is damn good! I better make more, this first batch won't last.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #115
ardorx
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

Dave

Arrowroot is my go to thickener, just mix it equal parts outside the sauce and then re-add it back to the batch, no heat needed and alittle goes along way. I would start with a couple tablespoons equal parts and go from there. It its tasteless and shouldn't change the flavor profile.
ardorx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #116
seadad9903
Full Fledged Farker

awesome sauce, Bo. made some yesterday morning and did a taste, WOW
want to let it sit another few days, i have a chicken to make pulled chicken with it!
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #117
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Yes, I was also just wondering, how to get this sauce a little thicker, if not having any xanthan gum. The modified sauce I produced has a nice consistency, not really too liquid, but a touch thicker would not hurt either. So what additional ingredient would fit for this recipe to get it a little thicker?
One other point about thickening it. It is deliberately thin. The flavor should be like a smack in the mouth up front with some burn at the end when tasted straight. When put on meat or veggies, it should mellow out a little. It may be that thickening it will make it a bit too strong so, I'd suggest that if that is the case, you should add a little water to it.

If you want to go more modern, add apple juice or even peach or apricot jam or jelly that has been simmered to thin it out a little.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #118
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

Done & eaten! We ditched the idea of making pulled pork sandwiches and wraps, and just ate it pure with the featured vinegar based sauce

The full report of this cook can be found here.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #119
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Heating the sauce might slightly change its flavor. But, if you want to thicken it up a little, mix together very well 1/4 cup of the cool or room temperature sauce with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Bring the remaining sauce to a simmer. Briskly whisk in the sauce/cornstarch mixture. Let it simmer for about 1 minute or so.

This is for 16 ounces of sauce. You will need to adjust the amount of cornstarch if thickening more or less sauce.

I made three batches... One I heated, one I did completely cold, and one I did using the "steep" (essentially steeping the spices in a portion of the nectar and pouring that in) The batch the best is the one with the steep. The worst is the heated one. Don't care why. HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!! the batch that was mixed start to finish cold and had to wait a day to merge was almost as good as the steeped version.

Edict.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #120
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
One other point about thickening it. It is deliberately thin. The flavor should be like a smack in the mouth up front with some burn at the end when tasted straight. When put on meat or veggies, it should mellow out a little. It may be that thickening it will make it a bit too strong so, I'd suggest that if that is the case, you should add a little water to it.

If you want to go more modern, add apple juice or even peach or apricot jam or jelly that has been simmered to thin it out a little.
I like and enjoy the CHALLENGA of suspending all those spices. I have had a few of these sauces up north (Carloinas) and you always had to shake the sediment on the bottom.... like a polaroid.

It is a right of passage.

Edict.