MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
fharbison
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Brining vs. Injecting

I've always injected my chicken before smoking or grilling, but I've been reading a lot about brining lately. Any opinions (probably opening a can of worms here) about the pro's and cons of each?

Thanks in advance.
fharbison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I like both I brined tonight and it was really good
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Wampus

In my opinion (and I have no real expertise other than the percieved genius in my own mind ) brining's pretty easy with poultry. You can brine pretty much anything, but chicken and turkey will take the brine much quicker and easier that other meats like pork and beef. I think it has something to do with the cellular structure of the meat.

Here's a list of brining times of different meats and cuts:

Whole Chicken3-8 hrsChicken Pieces1-2 hrsWhole Turkey12-48 hrsTurkey Breast4-8 hrsCornish Game Hens1-2 hrsPork Chops2-6 hrsPork Tenderloin2-8 hrsWhole Pork Loin24-72 hrs

Since chicken pieces only take 1-2 hours and pork chops take 2-6 hours, I'm equating that to pork taking longer.

SOOOO.....

I've injected pork butts, but I've not taken the time to brine one. With chicken, though, brine is easy and quick (relatively speaking). If I'm doing wings, I brine for an hour. Whole chickens get brined for about 5-8 hours. Basically, if injecting, you're just injecting a brine but the brine is among the meat tissues instead of incorporating into them. Brine works differently.

I prefer to inject larger cuts like pork butt, but brine chicken and turkey. I even brine whole turkeys.

Here's a GREAT bunch of info on brining (where I pulled the table above from):
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Veejanz
Got Wood.

I brine when I have time. Inject when I don't!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

I have had better luck with brine solutions. Tried to inject a pork loin a few weeks back and the lack of connective tissue on the loin made it hard to keep the injection in. Going to try to brine a pork but next week and inject one as well side by side.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fharbison View Post
I've always injected my chicken before smoking or grilling, but I've been reading a lot about brining lately. Any opinions (probably opening a can of worms here) about the pro's and cons of each?

Thanks in advance.
If you are injecting a brine, this just shortens the brine time. The benefits of a brine are moistness and some flavor.

On the other hand, if you are injecting a flavor liquid (like a marinade, or maybe just a store bought injection) they work differently than a brine because they are designed to deliver flavor, and sometimes work as a tenderizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowin-fire View Post
I have had better luck with brine solutions. Tried to inject a pork loin a few weeks back and the lack of connective tissue on the loin made it hard to keep the injection in. Going to try to brine a pork but next week and inject one as well side by side.
Try mixing your brine, and putting the loin in a zipper bag along with the brine. Then take your syringe and inject plenty of the brine into the roast. Because the roast is submerged in the bag, leaking is no issue. Also you avoid any spurts on the kitchen wall as you pump the loin roast.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Kitchen Wall? More like the ceiling.... Tried wrapping in food service film as well with shooting results...