MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
iceman72475
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Finally my wsm 22.5 has arrived!!!!!!

Well after 12 long days of waiting Walmart finally delivered my wsm. I will say this for anyone thinking of buying one from Walmart site to store, be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait. Needless to say I am so excited to give it a test drive tomorrow. I also orded an Iq110 off of Amazon. It came very promptly. I ordered it monday and it arrived on Thursday. I can't wait to put it to good use tomorrow either. I guess my next move is to unbox my new toy so I can play. I'll keep you all posted on my first smoke progress tomorrow.new smoker and iq.jpg
iceman72475 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Biggen
Got Wood.

Have fun man. I love my 18.5 WSM. It will be getting a workout tomorrow smoking a butt.

Get a fatty on that thing and break it in!
Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nice! Look forward to the forthcoming pron!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Enjoy playing with your new toy

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

You may have some trouble with the IQUE overshooting temps until you get some grease built up in side the wsm to help seal things up. Can't wait to see what you produce.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Congratulations, lets see it gettin dirty!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Congrats! Your going to have some fun with smoker.
PaPaQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the new WSM, now get to cookin'!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
iceman72475
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you all. If I wasn't so tired I'd be firing that thing up tonight. I did get it all put together, man that thing is big. I still need to put the rub on boston butt so it will be ready to go tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

A butt will be a great first smoke. I suggest leaving one bottom vent half open (and the top vent fully open) as a starting point and don't worry if it seems like it wants to go higher. A brand spankin' new smoker is a little leaky and the extra air translates to extra oxygen for the fire and higher temps. Butts are tolerant of that.

Personally I don't wrap my butts unless I want to hold them when they come off.

Good luck and enjoy!

Oh, yeah... we want pictures, but don't be peeking too much. Each time you open the cooker, you lose heat and admit fresh air and generally disturb things.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
iceman72475
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the tip HankB. I don't know if this is the wright move or the wrong move but I bought 3 chicken and and a 12lb turkey I plan on throwing on there along with the pork butt. I am planning on starting the pork butt early and then putting the chicken and turkey on around 11. I am planning to cook at 275. I know that is high to some people but thats what I think the happy medium will be for the pork and the chicken cooking together. Oh, I also have some chicken thighs i am planning on cooking if I have enought heat left after the whole chickens come off.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats and way to dive in with both feet!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman72475 View Post
Thanks for the tip HankB. I don't know if this is the wright move or the wrong move but I bought 3 chicken and and a 12lb turkey I plan on throwing on there along with the pork butt. I am planning on starting the pork butt early and then putting the chicken and turkey on around 11. I am planning to cook at 275. I know that is high to some people but thats what I think the happy medium will be for the pork and the chicken cooking together. Oh, I also have some chicken thighs i am planning on cooking if I have enought heat left after the whole chickens come off.
275 is a happy medium between pork and chicken......but 300 would be even happier!

Congrats on the new cooker!! Have fun and good luck!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice cooker! Have fun with that one!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman72475 View Post
I'm chuckling here because for the inaugural smoke on my 22.5 I bought 4 chickens and a 20 pound turkey. I found I could only fit three chickens on the 22.5 top rack and wound up putting the fourth in my mini-WSM.

I had 8 pound chickens. Perhaps yours are smaller.

(More at The Big One - Inaugural Smoke)

I hope you can fit all of that! I do much prefer to fill the smoker when I fire it up. One of the silliest things I remember is Steve Raichlen (Primal Grill) firing up a 22.5 WSM for a single chicken on the top grate.