What is a good (great) HOMEMADE Chicken Rub recipe?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
What is a good (great) HOMEMADE Chicken Rub recipe?
I have the best homemade rib recipe (Big Bob Gibson's Memphis Dry Rub)
Now I'm looking for something for the bird. I like grilling wings, breast, legs, indirect spatchcock whole birds and turkey.

If you can share you Best Chicken Rum recipe, I thank you in advance.

Liitle confused? You say HOMEMADE rub, but mention Bob Gibson's rub as your rib fav.
Is that not a production produced rub?
I may have missed something?

Here's one I've been fond of for that past 30 + years....... Just keep mad scientist it and you'll find your perfect fit. My Dad came up with this 30 years ago and I've tweaked it a bit. Have fun......

Chicken Rub

2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake to combine. Apply liberally to chicken, rub into pieces and tightly wrap chicken in plastic wrap. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Smoke according to your favorite recipe and enjoy!

Any BBQ pork rub will work for chicken also.

I use a simple base rub and adjust amounts and ingredients to fit my taste at the time of the cook.

4 Tbsp Kosher salt
4 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp ground bay leaves
2 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp sweet paprika
½ Tbsp rubbed sage

Here's one I've been fond of for that past 30 + years....... Just keep mad scientist it and you'll find your perfect fit. My Dad came up with this 30 years ago and I've tweaked it a bit. Have fun......

Chicken Rub

2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake to combine. Apply liberally to chicken, rub into pieces and tightly wrap chicken in plastic wrap. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Smoke according to your favorite recipe and enjoy!

This has a lot of the same ingerdence that the Chris Lilly Rib rub has. Exspecially the marjoram. I think that the marjoram might have a little sweet taste to it.

Chicken Rub

2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Gonna give this a try, might add a little tarragon to it... Tarragon's great with chicken! Looks good! Thanks Brother!

Cheers

[FONT=&quot]This is a recipe from the thread that is titled rubs and sauces. Great downloadable word document. Looks similar to Montreal Chicken seasoning.

Chef Paul's Chikky Rub[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]from [/FONT][FONT=&quot]BBQ Guru[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is a great all purpose rub with loads of flavor. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup sugar [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons paprika [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon onion powder [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons seasoned salt [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/2 tablespoon garlic powder [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/2 tablespoon chili powder [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/2 tablespoon lemon pepper [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon sage, dried [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon basil, dried [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon rosemary, dried [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper [/FONT]

I guess I'm old school when it comes to chicken. I think it's hard to beat EVOO with plain salt and black pepper. On my next chicken cook I plan to expand my horizons a little and brine the chicken first. I have never done that before...

Most often, I go simple with olive oil, crushed garlic, kosher salt, medium grind black pepper and citrus zest. Although, I have added Beau monde, reduced the salt and enjoyed it. The other thing I do is add oregano and thyme to the first 5 ingredients I listed.

i did a chicken test cook today with a mixture of 1 part bubba q all purpose and one part uncle henrys pecan rub, and it was off the chain good.not home made, but home mixed

this word document is found in the recipe forum or on an actual thread called rubs and sauces? i used the search here BUT get a lot of results back.

thanks

here is one i like to use. If i dont have enough spices, i will use lawrys seasoned salt and thats it. maybe some sugar mixed with it. BUT if i do have all the ingredients i like:

Because i love this place. here is a fun one to use

3-4 tbls white sugar
1/2 tbls minced garlic and a pinch of garlic salt

3/4 tbls lawrys or homemade seasoned salt
1 tsp celery salt
2 tbls paprika
1 tsp cayenne
1 tbls ground black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard **
1 tsp chilie powder **

** Optional

I just downloaded and saved........thanks
Okay, I'm lost. I don't see any Word document to download?
Need some direction please.

Edit - Nevermind, I over looked the post a few up. Sorry!
I already downloaded those before I saw this thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
we use this one on everything from veggies to pork roasts. when we use it with veggies we add some olive oil.

2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
1/8 teaspoon Ground Red Pepper

Back