MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post
Not meaning to start anything here, but if you're not making the rub, not making the sauce, buying the meat from a store (not raising & butchering it) & not growing the trees for the smoke wood - what exactly ARE you doing? Throwing some meat in the smoker for a few hours?

Seems to me if you want to sell BBQ to the masses it should actually be all YOURS.

To answer the questions, I make 6 stock house sauces & 2 rotating Sauce of the Moments plus 3 different rubs & have not used any sauce or rub I have not made myself for over 6 years.

Then again, I make a nice bit of change selling my sauces & rubs at the Hut.
Brother, I really thought you were trying to be funny here. I can make my own sauce and feel good about it, but I sure ain't going to feel like I'm not a "professional" because I don't raise my own pigs and cows. If you're not making every single ingredient in your restaurant, you're kinda/sorta being a hypocrite, aren't you? Just sayin'...
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #32
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
What's wrong with being the McDonalds of BBQ? They are a successful chain of fast food restaurants. Isn't the idea of being in the restaurant business to make money?

Actually, I know many restaurant owners would be in oppositional disagreement with you.

Personally I laughed at the first mention of McDonald's, and thought you were joking. Although McDonald's very well may be a successful "business" I am one who do not actually use the word "restaurant" when I think of them. FAST FOOD yes... a serious establishment of an eatery? Definitely not. Do I think that serious professional chefs would consider McD's a business model or goal to strive for? Hardly. McDonald's is a cartoon shell of what a restaurant should be, and in many ways is a philosophical dilemma of American culture. Do I eat at McDonald's? Yes, at times I do. Do I consider it a "restaurant" to strive to imitate besides perhaps financial gain? Never. Does my GF consider it a special date night if we grab something from there? Would I even strive to make a meal that would taste like one of theirs? Not on my worse day.

I know I am not alone on these thoughts, and many restaurant owners that I have known personally would be insulted if you compared them to McDonald's. Making money they would agree is nice, but it would not be "the reason" for their business. They say they are in the restaurant business because it is a passion that needs to be fulfilled.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
Brother, I really thought you were trying to be funny here. I can make my own sauce and feel good about it, but I sure ain't going to feel like I'm not a "professional" because I don't raise my own pigs and cows. If you're not making every single ingredient in your restaurant, you're kinda/sorta being a hypocrite, aren't you? Just sayin'...
I suggest reading an entire thread before making a reply.

Just sayin'

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #34
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Returning the original question, I have to say stick with your Carolina sauce & call it yours. If you're going to use store bought sauces - DEFINITELY leave them in the original bottle. I used to go to a Cajun joint where they had their house hot sauce but the walls were lined with 100s of other sauces. Found some great ones there.

My ego is a bit too big to deal with seeing some one in my joint using some crappy store bought sauce instead of my home made ones. That said - I have been thinking of bringing in a few from the recent Saveur BBQ issue's list of best sauces. They are regional high quality sauces not found around my area.

My philosophy is: Give your customers something extraordinary & they will appreciate it & become loyal fans.

Give your customers the same old LCD commercial crap & you'll make guys like me rich.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle

Last edited by chachahut; 08-01-2011 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #35
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not in "business" like many of you but I'm of the thinking when I cook bbq for people who come to my house I want to serve them something they can't get anywhere else except from me. And I would think if I were in business for myself I'd have that same mindset.

Uniqueness in what you offer is a major part of the component of return business. And the more "uniqueness" (diclaimer: GOOD UNIQUENESS) you have in your business then the more return business you're likely to have. Is there anything *wrong* with using a commercially sold sauce that comes from Wal-Mart? Nope. But it will not contribute to the component of return business. Because as someone has said above. People, with regards to the sauce, will potentially say "This sauce taste just like ______ I get at Wal-Mart." And and you really don't want that response to many elements of your business.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #36
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I make my own sauce also. Pain in the are for big batches though. Looking for a bottler now.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #37
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

I love all aspects of BBQ; to me, when I serve up my Q, which is rubbed with my rub, smoked with wood I harvested, and served with a sauce or two (on the side) of my own creation... there's no better feeling. I love to see the plates come back looking like they've been licked clean.

I got swamped one day a few years ago with all kinds of non-cooking stuff (business), that I didn't have time to do a proper (in my mind) sauce. I grabbed a jug of Head Country (which is pretty damned good sauce) and served that instead. People commented that my sauce wasn't quite what they have come to expect.

Yes, you can use commercial sauces, nothing wrong with that at all. It's up to each individual cook what they want to do. Me? I enjoy the process of making the sauce. Inventing a new one is even more fun!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #38
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post
I suggest reading an entire thread before making a reply.

Just sayin'
I did read the entire thread. You contradict yourself several times. You say you didn't say things in replies to other people, when actually you did. I take little of what you said seriously, because most of it is so ridiculous. I will say I like the concept of your restaurant, as your little speech did catch my attention enough to go to your website. Other than that, you come off as trying to be "holier than though;" as I said, a hypocrite. Do you treat your customers with the same level of condescension you display on here?
And the "just sayin" part was really cute, too.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #39
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I did read the entire thread. You contradict yourself several times. You say you didn't say things in replies to other people, when actually you did. I take little of what you said seriously, because most of it is so ridiculous. I will say I like the concept of your restaurant, as your little speech did catch my attention enough to go to your website. Other than that, you come off as trying to be "holier than though;" as I said, a hypocrite. Do you treat your customers with the same level of condescension you display on here?
And the "just sayin" part was really cute, too.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #40
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post

Yeah, you're right, Smiter. I should try to not let people like that get under my skin. My apologies to the Bretheren.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #41
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
My apologies to the Bretheren.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #42
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_A View Post
Me? I enjoy the process of making the sauce. Inventing a new one is even more fun!
Same here though the wife has limited me to 8 sauces at a time.

I actually get my customers involved in the process when I'm thinking of a new Sauce of the Moment. I ask my regulars what they would like for a new sauce - when I have a test batch I give samples to customers who are willing to give solid feedback - most sauces of the moment get the customer vetting process. Makes them feel attached to the sauce & they then go out & spread the word about my joint. It's a great way to build customer loyalty.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #43
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Making money they would agree is nice, but it would not be "the reason" for their business. They say they are in the restaurant business because it is a passion that needs to be fulfilled.
Fufilling a passion doesn't make the rent..........money does. And try telling the banker that "making money would be nice" and see how far that gets you.

Listen, I'm not saying people aren't in the restaurant business because they love it, but what I am saying is that at the end of the day, if you aren't making money, you won't be in business for long. McDonalds may not be the best food in the world, but they are successful. And back to the original point, if you use a commercial sauce and you like it and your customers like it, use it. Spend your money and time wisely and put yourself in a position to make money.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #44
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

What he ^^^^^ said. We buy a small batch sauce not available here and use it. We also sell the cr@p out of it. We use plowbys rubs and sell some of it. I really dont care for my pork pork but sell 10,000#'s a year. If I want to eat pork, I do that at a contest because I like my contest pork. Cook at home. Make money at your business.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #45
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

Making BBQ sauces is one of my favorite side affects of my BBQ problem. I am constantly making new ones to cater to the tastes of who we are serving. Occasionally those that have hired us have requested store bought in lieu of our house made because some people just prefer the shelfed kind....