MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Krunk BBQ Societ View Post
Candy, you can turn in a raw one and that will be just fine with us! Looking forward to seeing you.
Brisket Tartare! Red sauce or white?
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I'm getting ready to sign up but I have a couple of questions first. I will be leaving out of Branson, MO and will not be able to get away from work until around 2. This will optimistically place me in Hot Springs at 6. I have never done an IBCA contest and given my time of arrival, I will probably not make the cooks meeting. On to my questions.

I have read where the meeting is absolutely mandatory. Is this true?
If not, will someone take a few minutes to give me the abridged addition so I don't make a stupid rookie IBCA mistake?
What are the turn in times at an IBCA contest?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

gettinbasted, you might want to check out the IBCA rules at http://www.ibcabbq.org - it's not heavy reading, there are only 15. Turn-in times are usually an hour apart, but it all depends upon the size of the contest. In general, contests either don't post the turn-in times or provide the disclaimer that they are subject to change depending on the number of teams in the contest - you'll find out more at the cooks meeting or from your head judge. I can't speak for exactly how they do things in the AR Pit, but you might want to contact the organizer or look at the .pdf for info about the contest - the .pdf is at http://www.ibcabbq.org/flyers2013/hotsprings.pdf

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I get most of the rules, I like it, and love to cook a IBCA, but I do have a couple questions,,

can you use pulled chicken as a base, and will it be judged too?
how do you guys cook brisket? with the point on?, and turn it in with the point?
Last question, is pellet cooking allowed?

I probably have more questions, and I think I want to cook this one, just for the difference of cooking styles.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Mike View Post
I get most of the rules, I like it, and love to cook a IBCA, but I do have a couple questions,,

can you use pulled chicken as a base, and will it be judged too?
how do you guys cook brisket? with the point on?, and turn it in with the point?
Last question, is pellet cooking allowed?

I probably have more questions, and I think I want to cook this one, just for the difference of cooking styles.
Mike-
The ONLY thing allowed in your turn-in box for an IBCA contest (other than the product) is a piece of foil. NO PULLED CHICKEN - as the rule state, "one half (1/2) fully jointed domestic chicken with skin that includes a breast, wing with tip, thigh, and drumstick." - if you put pulled chicken in, I don't think your box will ever make it to the judging table - you will be asked to remove it. The goal is to have all the boxes look the same to the judges.

Generally, for brisket, all you need is the flat - 7 slices are all that are allowed in the turn-in box with the foil (9 slices in larger comps). NO BURNT ENDS TURNED IN!!! If you want to make them for yourself or the other cookers around you, that's up to you, but they're not part of your turn-in.

Pellet cookers are fine - just as long as there's no sharing of heat sources. You might want to look at the IBCA rules at http://www.ibcabbq.org/rules.html for clarification.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Southern Krunk BBQ Societ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
I'm getting ready to sign up but I have a couple of questions first. I will be leaving out of Branson, MO and will not be able to get away from work until around 2. This will optimistically place me in Hot Springs at 6. I have never done an IBCA contest and given my time of arrival, I will probably not make the cooks meeting. On to my questions.

I have read where the meeting is absolutely mandatory. Is this true?
If not, will someone take a few minutes to give me the abridged addition so I don't make a stupid rookie IBCA mistake?
What are the turn in times at an IBCA contest?

Thanks in advance!
Many teams will pull in for IBCA the morning off the comp, so no worries there.

THis will be the first IBCA comp for a lot of teams, and we are going to make an effort to help all first time cooks enjoy the experience. Really hope you can roll our way. Feel free to email me any questions at [email protected]. Randy
Southern Krunk BBQ Societ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Brisket Tartare! Red sauce or white?
Red with $100 garnish works good most of the time

Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
Knows what a fatty is.

So far, have teams from LA, TX, MS, MO, AR, and TN signing up for the festivus! Come give IBCA a try.

Tags
american royal, bbq, bbq contest, festivis, hot springs, IBCA, krunk, the jack