MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock View Post
I recently cooked my first whole choice packer brisket. I have a question in regards to probing. Should the whole piece of meat probe this way? If memory serves me right it seemed like the point was probing like butter before the flat.

And when I pulled the brisket there were still parts of the flat that were not like butter and parts that were. So I pulled it anyways in fear of over cooking...

Does my question make any sense?
THanks
On a whole brisket, both muscles will not probe the same. In fact, the additional fat in the point allows the internal temp of the point to rise faster than the flat (fat is a better conductor of heat). Because of this, the point gets tender before the flat. And because of the fat it's hard to overcook the point. So, let the point do it's thing and concentrate on the flat.

For you other question, not all of the flat will probe the same.... Part of the flat overlaps the point and the rear of the flat usually is thinner so it can actually dry out while the remainder is cooking tender. You sort of have to figure out when to call the ball on tenderness. A long rest will help the tenderness and moistness even out, so many folks rest a good long while.

Quote:
I cooked between 250 and 280. And the majority of the brisket was dry and tasted like pot roast. And tough to slice. I kinda think I over cooked it but then again the whole piece of meat wasnt probing like butter?????
When you overcook, the protein fibers that you have been trying to unwind for tenderness, will start squeezing out the moistness (gelatin) they have been hanging on to and all that goodness goes into the pan or the foil if you have wrapped. The meat you have left is very fiberous and tougher... I do agree with Bludawg in that a little overcooked is better than a little undercooked.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
bmock
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
On a whole brisket, both muscles will not probe the same. In fact, the additional fat in the point allows the internal temp of the point to rise faster than the flat (fat is a better conductor of heat). Because of this, the point gets tender before the flat. And because of the fat it's hard to overcook the point. So, let the point do it's thing and concentrate on the flat.

For you other question, not all of the flat will probe the same.... Part of the flat overlaps the point and the rear of the flat usually is thinner so it can actually dry out while the remainder is cooking tender. You sort of have to figure out when to call the ball on tenderness. A long rest will help the tenderness and moistness even out, so many folks rest a good long while.

When you overcook, the protein fibers that you have been trying to unwind for tenderness, will start squeezing out the moistness (gelatin) they have been hanging on to and all that goodness goes into the pan or the foil if you have wrapped. The meat you have left is very fiberous and tougher... I do agree with Bludawg in that a little overcooked is better than a little undercooked.
Thanks for the replies. I suppose it will take some practice to get it where it turns out the way I want it too...

It rested for at least 4 maybe 5 hours wrapped tight in foil in a cooler packed with towels. I also wondered if this had something to do with the outcome. It was a longer rest than I wanted but just the way it worked out on that day.

Thanks.
Ben
bmock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
thirdeye

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I suppose it will take some practice to get it where it turns out the way I want it too...

It rested for at least 4 maybe 5 hours wrapped tight in foil in a cooler packed with towels. I also wondered if this had something to do with the outcome. It was a longer rest than I wanted but just the way it worked out on that day.

Thanks.
Ben
I should have visited about venting if you have done a foil finish, or just letting it cool a little before that long rest in foil.

After you cook it tender and it probes the way you want it it might be 200°+... so before coolering you need to either open the foil and let it vent, or tent the brisket for about 10-15 minutes or so before wrapping for the cooler.... Otherwise, a brisket that hot will continue to cook in a cooler. And maybe overcook without you realizing it.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
mawil1013
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
sounds undercooked. Your thermo can be off. I usually put more credence in how easily the probe goes in and out of the brisket than the actual temp. It is a feel thing and a hard thing to master. Just keep on trying and you will master it.
I agree.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I disagree, It's NOT a hard thing to master. Either the probe goes in easy or it doesn't. In my opinion, your brisket is undercooked.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
mawil1013

I guarantee you, if your probe is correct, you have a packer cut, you take brisket off cooker as soon as the internal temp reaches 192, probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, you wrap in foil, place in an ice chest without ice, fill up empty space with towels, take it out 4-12 hours later, you will have a perfect brisket. I've done dozens that way. If you mess up and take it out at195 it will ready ready after 1 hour just being wrapped in foil. If you were to hold it in the igloo overnight it would be mush. Either your probe was broke, or not properly placed.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
I guarantee you, if your probe is correct, you have a packer cut, you take brisket off cooker as soon as the internal temp reaches 192, probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, you wrap in foil, place in an ice chest without ice, fill up empty space with towels, take it out 4-12 hours later, you will have a perfect brisket. I done dozens that way. If you mess up and take it out at195 it will ready ready after 1 hour just being wrapped in foil.

I know my thermos are correct, and I have to say, this seems like it is not right. I too have done a lot of briskets, and my experience tells me that some were not done at 192F, not even close. Of course, I do not wrap in foil, I prefer to run no wrap or butcher paper, and I cook hot. But, that is one of the reasons I think you just have to learn feel. I would say, I don't think it is that hard to learn.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
I guarantee you, if your probe is correct, you have a packer cut, you take brisket off cooker as soon as the internal temp reaches 192, probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, you wrap in foil, place in an ice chest without ice, fill up empty space with towels, take it out 4-12 hours later, you will have a perfect brisket. I done dozens that way. If you mess up and take it out at195 it will ready ready after 1 hour just being wrapped in foil.

So if I use your method and it isn't perfect, you'll cover the cost of my cook? Sweet! I'll send you a bill...soon.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
mawil1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
So if I use your method and it isn't perfect, you'll cover the cost of my cook? Sweet! I'll send you a bill...soon.
Ain't you adorable! Now go play sweety! ;)

Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

You're such a tease!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
mawil1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
You're such a tease!
LOL

Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
but you can see how thick I had to slice this one to keep it together

Too bad you couldn't get much of a smoke ring....

Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Did this brisket ever see any Tender Quick?

Quote:
Yep, probing is the best way. I can honestly say 'feels like butter' is something I've never experienced, and I suspect one that tender might fall apart coming off the pit.... So, the description I use is "as tender as a baked potato that is almost done". You will feel a little resistance going in and coming back out too. I start probing around 190°., and use a fat probe like an ice pick or a small diamether wooden chopstick. Many of mine are over 205° before they are right. I still overcook one on occasion. Excuse the white balance on this indoor shot on a red cutting board... but you can see how thick I had to slice this one to keep it together

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #29
accuseal

I thought they outlawed Red Dye #1.:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote