MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmontananyc View Post
also buttburner is there a space where the ATC has room to blow the air? sorry for all the questions but before i chop up my smoker i want to be thorough lol
yes

the ATC just blows air into that space between the pan and the outer body. From there it gets to the coals through the exsisting holes in the pan. On the first pan I drilled extra holes, but did not on the second smoker, it works just fine without the extra holes so that is not needed
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
IrondeQuer
On the road to being a farker

I agree with El Ropo about the fire basket. I had a lot of issues with my modified Brinkmann before adding the basket. The problem might go away with an ATC but expanded metal from Home Depot will surely be a lot cheaper.
IrondeQuer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrondeQuer View Post
I agree with El Ropo about the fire basket. I had a lot of issues with my modified Brinkmann before adding the basket. The problem might go away with an ATC but expanded metal from Home Depot will surely be a lot cheaper.
suit yourself

dont take the advice from a guy with 2 of them. I did run them without the ATC with no issues

but whatever...
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
rmontananyc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I already added the much needed holes in the coal pan.. i am going to buy the atc for overnight smokes where i can be constantly up monitoring the fire dur to my work schedule... im going to post pics of all of my mods this weekend to show you guys what ive done.. let me know what you think
rmontananyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

For the people thinking a UDS style basket isn't necessary, I had more consistent temps, and far less hassle using the basket. It makes clean up a breeze, allows oxygen to reach fire from everywhere, and the basket sits on top of the bolts that most people have already installed for their raised grate. All you do is attach a 6" wide strip of expanded metal to the outer edge of the raised grate you may already have. This doesn't need to be welded or anything, I used bailing wire. Then I grabbed an old clothes hanger and fashioned a handle for the basket. It all still fits under the water pan. An ATC is the thing that's not needed, if you fashion a proper damper cover for the intake hole, and create a proper exhaust, that is all you need to lock in at any temp from 230 to 350+.

Some people like an ATC for peace of mind, even with cookers like WSMs, BGEs etc. I just don't see why they are needed if the cooker is breathing right and has the built in ATC... The ability to adjust oxygen to the fire.

Spend that extra $$ on some good meat. Or beer!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
For the people thinking a UDS style basket isn't necessary, I had more consistent temps, and far less hassle using the basket. It makes clean up a breeze, allows oxygen to reach fire from everywhere, and the basket sits on top of the bolts that most people have already installed for their raised grate. All you do is attach a 6" wide strip of expanded metal to the outer edge of the raised grate you may already have. This doesn't need to be welded or anything, I used bailing wire. Then I grabbed an old clothes hanger and fashioned a handle for the basket. It all still fits under the water pan. An ATC is the thing that's not needed, if you fashion a proper damper cover for the intake hole, and create a proper exhaust, that is all you need to lock in at any temp from 230 to 350+.

Some people like an ATC for peace of mind, even with cookers like WSMs, BGEs etc. I just don't see why they are needed if the cooker is breathing right and has the built in ATC... The ability to adjust oxygen to the fire.

Spend that extra $$ on some good meat. Or beer!
some people (like me) just like an ATC. I can push a button, take the temp down to 160 for smoking sausage. When thats done, I can crank it up to 350 to do chicken

And I dont need some big basket of coals to do it.

thats just me.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #23
rmontananyc

So i ended up doing a few things.. i put a weber grate in the middle of the charcoal pan which works great, i put a fair amount of holes in the charcoal pan for air flow.. and i added legs... without touching the smoker it burnt from 7pm until 6am the next morning at 200 degrees... i just purchased the ATC PID temp controller from Auber Instruments to give it a try. If this thing keeps the temp at a steady 225 i will be real happy with all of the mods i did... d oyou recommend keeping all the vents closed when the fan is on?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmontananyc View Post
So i ended up doing a few things.. i put a weber grate in the middle of the charcoal pan which works great, i put a fair amount of holes in the charcoal pan for air flow.. and i added legs... without touching the smoker it burnt from 7pm until 6am the next morning at 200 degrees... i just purchased the ATC PID temp controller from Auber Instruments to give it a try. If this thing keeps the temp at a steady 225 i will be real happy with all of the mods i did... d oyou recommend keeping all the vents closed when the fan is on?
all intake vents need to be closed so the ATC has full control of intake air. I would tape them off with foil tape.

On the smoker that I put a vent in the lid, I leave that open maybe 1/2 way to fully open.

On the other one that I did not modify, there is no lid vent, just the gap between the body and lid which is designed to get air out. I just left that the way it is.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
rmontananyc

okay cool.. fortubately Master Forge gave me another bottom part so i have on with all the pin holes and legs for quick smokes and i will use the unmodded one for longer smokes with the ATC. thanks for all of the help

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Just in case you are interested, I just installed my Auber on my Master Forge.

I used a 1/8" ss Thermocouple and it also acts as a support for the controller, it works really well this way.

The Auber is nice since it uses standard K type thermocouples that are readily available in many configurations.

Last edited by ButtBurner; 12-24-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
walley_eye

Buttburner, just curious did you cut the bottom of the charcoal pan out and then put the grates down. Hard to tell from the picture.

I cut mine out but will have to put alum catch pan down for ash.

Nice little smoker. Just got mine.
walley_eye is offline   Reply With Quote