MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

White oak is great. Nothing wrong with red oak, either.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

White oak is the best oak to use. Red oak sometimes has a bite but cak work with beef.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper77 View Post
To my knowledge, anything ending in "oak" is great to cook with. I use red oak, here in AL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Not sure I agree with that. I think it depends on where the tree is regionally. I know that red oak here in Maine is not the same as the red oak in Cali. I tried red oak when I lived in VA, and I've tried 'que cooked with New England red oak...and I don't like the results. I've heard that black and pin oak isn't that great for smoking either.
I agree with CarolinaQue, not all oaks are created equal. I will not use northern red oak for bbq either. The southern red oak that snyper77 uses is not the same tree that we have here. I have mentioned this in other threads as well, just because we all have a "red oak" growing in our area doesn't mean we all have the same tree. FWIW there are 49 species of oak in North America and I seriously doubt that all of them have been used to cook Q.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

I will use red oak in a pinch... so long as it is well cured. Red oak in my area smells like the tom cat marked his territory. White oak is always a go to.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Good thing I only have White Oak in my woods. I guess I'm set for life with wood.
krshome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

White oak is my goto heat source, as it makes nice coals that hold. I then use other woods to develop a flavor profile. I do like red oak, especially for brisket, but each his own.

The Virginia bbq comments are hilarious.... Next someone is likely to say that Brunswick stew is originally from Virginia! :)
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpope View Post
Red oak in my area smells like the tom cat marked his territory.
Yes! Most of the oak I've ever used (for firewood) stinks, imo.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpope View Post
I will use red oak in a pinch... so long as it is well cured. Red oak in my area smells like the tom cat marked his territory. White oak is always a go to.
Yep, red oak has that smell fresh, but not burning. I've had some really good food cooked on red oak coals. For that matter, cherry is one of the nastiest, bitter smelling woods out there when it's fresh. It has a really strong unpleasant odor. And has hydrocyanic acid in it. The leaves will kill cows if they're wilted, it's that toxic. But people love it for smoking.

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:

Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Yep, red oak has that smell fresh, but not burning. I've had some really good food cooked on red oak coals. For that matter, cherry is one of the nastiest, bitter smelling woods out there when it's fresh. It has a really strong unpleasant odor. And has hydrocyanic acid in it. The leaves will kill cows if they're wilted, it's that toxic. But people love it for smoking.

I think that there's a difference between cooking with red oak coals and cooking with red oak sticks.

As far as the cherry smell, I've always thought it had a very pleasant smell...especially when burning.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I think that there's a difference between cooking with red oak coals and cooking with red oak sticks.

As far as the cherry smell, I've always thought it had a very pleasant smell...especially when burning.
True. I've used red oak sticks in my trailer pit before with good results, though. Of course, it's not too airtight. And yeah, cherry smells a lot better burning than it does fresh. That's the same thing I was saying about red oak. Green cherry wood especially has a really bitter, acrid odor.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that red oak is one of those woods that needs to be well seasoned before using. THe stuff I have used was less than a year seasoned and it had a very strong flavor to it. Same with cherry for me. I like it much more after it's seasoned for closer to a year.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I think that red oak is one of those woods that needs to be well seasoned before using. THe stuff I have used was less than a year seasoned and it had a very strong flavor to it. Same with cherry for me. I like it much more after it's seasoned for closer to a year.
I've got some northern red oak that has been cut and seasoning for 3 years, I burned some this summer and it still had wisps of steam coming from it. I let my black cherry splits season 9-12 months, depending on size.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #28
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux View Post
The Virginia bbq comments are hilarious.... Next someone is likely to say that Brunswick stew is originally from Virginia! :)
I know, it's nuts! American BBQ was first cooked in VA? What a bunch of malarky! That's not what they said on the Travel Channel! Everyone knows Brunswick Stew and BBQ all started in Georgia. They can even back it up with a plaque from 1898.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

First cook with white oak, smells like home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (113.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (131.4 KB, 65 views)
krshome is offline   Reply With Quote