MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
chilidog
Full Fledged Farker

Default Turkey brine question

I've read the thread on the ultimate Thanksgiving brine. My question is, can you smoke a turkey without a brine? We are trying to cut some of the salt out of our food and I'm not too sure I would like the turkey if it had a sweet flavor from the sugar. Do I need to wrap the turkey at some point to hold in the juice?
Do the brined turkeys have a salty taste?
Kevin
chilidog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A standard proper brine will significantly increase the moisture level of the average turkey cook, especially by widening the window when a turkey goes from done to overdone and dry. It will not noticeably increase the saltiness or sweetness. No need to wrap either, just let it rest before carving. Everyone should try it at least once; most people will not go back to an unbrined bird. Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Doug S.
Full Fledged Farker

+1^^^^^^
18.5" OTS Bud Light Weber Kettle
Weber Performer W/ Rotisserie
Weber Smokey Joe
Mastertouch 40" SS Electric Smoker
Doug S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

+2

Well said!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
I've read the thread on the ultimate Thanksgiving brine. My question is, can you smoke a turkey without a brine? We are trying to cut some of the salt out of our food and I'm not too sure I would like the turkey if it had a sweet flavor from the sugar. Do I need to wrap the turkey at some point to hold in the juice?
Kevin
Sir, where is this ultimate turkey brine you speak of?
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Kevin
Sure. I've done a few without brining, just injected with some melted butter and laid the rub to it. Did an unbrined one last year at TG that several people told me it was the best turkey they'd ever eaten-moist, juicy, and tasty.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
dadsr4

I have cooked several turkeys a year since 1994. None of them have been brined. All have gotten complements from guests and family. I do keep the kettle temperature down to around 300 deg, which helps increase the chances of not overshooting the desired finished temperature, resulting in dryness. We do not eat the skin, so skin crispness is not an issue.
All I have done on many of them is rubbed the skin with sesame oil, others I rub under the skin with olive oil and spices.
I have brined chickens and turkey legs, though.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

I just did a turkey without brining it over the weekend. It was a frozen turkey with the solution already added so I didn't brine, turned out fine. About an hour into the smoke I did place a piece of foil over the breast to help keep it from drying out. 14 lb turkey took 2 hours 40 minutes at 300-325. I hope this helps.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Kevin
I brine all poultry except chicken wings and have never had a problem with a salt taste.
Mrs Kapn is hyper-critical/sensitive to salt and has always loved the food.

But if you fear it, just buy a bird and cook it.
It will be fine and good eats and the "fears" will not enter into the results.

TIM

Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
mrboy
Full Fledged Farker

Default Surface Brine

I did a surface brine this weekend - rubbing butter all over the bird and then a liberal dusting of salt onto the bird and into the fridge overnight.

I've brined many chickens the traditional way and love them, but think I'll use the surface brine from now on. The results were very moist, but not spongy. The texture of the meat was better and the flavor of the bird came through.

Considering you don't have to go to all the trouble of washing out your cooler, making the brine and tossing in the ice, I think I'll stick with the surface brine from now on.

$.02
mrboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I brined 2 birds last yuear- one from Turkey 101, the other Pattiodadios Ultimate Turkey Brine Both were excellent Not salty or sweet. Very flavorful. There was little left of 36lbs of turkey
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Yup I've used Patio Daddios recipe for two years now. Love it. John Know what he's doing for sure.
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/1...key-brine.html
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
chilidog
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the replys. I may try the brine. My main concern was I didn't want it to be salty or sweet. Will take turkey out of freezer tomorrow and thaw in refrigerator until Saturday then put in brine overnight and smoke Sunday
chilidog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I use smokin okies holiday brine, two day brine and it's out of control delicious. Going to start doing turkeys this weekend. I tend to get recruited to people's parties to do their primes and turkeys. I can't say no to playing with my grills in the backyard.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote