• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recipe: All-Purpose BBQ Seasoning (pic)

while in the spirit how bout a pork sauce?:pray:

i know, that's pushin' it!

i do really like all your creations.

Thanks John for sharing!! Especially for us novice cooks who are looking to grow in the smoking circle... lol.. Keep up the great posts!!

Man, I'm slippin'! I even looked at the original and didn't see it. Then I type the wrong amount. :crazy:

The original amount is right.

Sorry,
John

BTW thank you for the great posts John, I didn't mean to come off picky with my 2 posts !

I will be trying this rub for sure, it looks right up my alley (not sure about the celery salt, it doesn't seem to "work for me", and the ginger powder seems a bit odd... but I am always game to try something new. Also chili powder is not really available here in AU, so I will make my own!).

I usually use Texas BBQ Rub (Texas Wild and the more recent Championship) as it is so good you can basically eat it from the bag, but will definitely be giving your rub a go the next time I smoke something!

BTW thank you for the great posts John, I didn't mean to come off picky with my 2 posts !

Oh, no worries, mate. I appreciate the heads-up. Plus, I'm always
glad to hear from our brethren on that small island off the coast of
New Zealand. :-D

John

Thanks for the great post John! I'm always looking for a good rub to canabalize!! :twisted:

Thanks. I'm all about the brethren and
sistren, so I thought it best to let the
shields down a bit.

There are two more "secret ingredients". Anyone care to hazard a guess or
two?

John

Gahhh! I was late showing up... I woulda guessed chipotle powder... :becky:

As for those dried ancho's... try this with part of them - buy the whole dried peps and "toast" 1/2 of the amount you will use in the rub on the grill.
Go easy, they have very little moisture and a bunch of sugar in them and they will burn in nothin flat if you're not watchin' - as they toast they will puff up a little and blister just a smidge - the fragrance they give off is incredible!
Sweet and peppery (as in chili peppery), you can smell the sugars carmelizing!
Allow them to cool and dry and then grind into powder, I'm telling ya, it adds a whole nother world to the fragrance & flavor.

That last question brings up an excellent point. I've found that granular
consistency is very important in a rub. Why? It's all about gravity and
suspension.

I've also learned that (like your method of mixing the salt and brown sugar) if you mix things like brown sugar with other spices well enough, the moist molassass in the sugar will bind with the spices and hold the spices in suspension, you then need to dehydrate the sugar so that it won't clump - baking (even in low heat) is likely to change the flavor of the spices - I usually allow my rub to "air dry" in a shallow pan covered with a clean kitchen towel for an afternoon, stir & mix it a few times and it will begin to dry.

I get a very even and consistent blend by doing it that way.

Thanks again John!! Look forward to giving this sauce a whirl too!

Sounds like a wonderful rub recipe to try. Curious if you can share the measurement amounts on the following listed "secret ingredients" in relation to the provided recipe?

Smoked Paprika
Worcestershire Powder
Cinnamon

I just spent an hour browsing thru the spices at World Spice Merchants.
I think I will be making a mega order from them soon (after I go thru my over flowing spice shelf and do some house cleaning).

Their stuff is absolutely top-shelf and the service is outstanding. In fact, up
until a year or two ago you couldn't even pay online. They actually shipped it
and asked you to pay when you received it. I was blown away!

John

Have you tried their Adobo spice mix? Just wondered if it was any good.

Back