MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Belated NYE Oakridge Black Ops Brisket

I totally forgot I took these photos. Came across them while downloadind the camera pics for work last night.

SO, what the heck......late pRon is better than no pRon, right Brethren?

This was a 17+ lb'er in the cryovac. I trimmed the big, hard fat and it was just under 17 lbs after that.

Rubbed with a liberal amount of the Black Ops Rub I got from Oakridge in the giveaway some time ago. Also put on a lighter layer of kosher salt and black pepper. Smoked in on the LBGE until probe tender, then wrapped it in foil and put in a warm (170d) oven to hold until we decided it was time to slice and eat it. Here's how that all looked......

That Black Ops Rub is pretty farkin tasty! Love that "umami" aroma and taste that the ****ake's give it.

After about 10-11 hours fluxuating between 225 & 250 to the best of my recollection (it was a while ago dangit! ), this is what it looked like.....

After a wrap and rest in the warm oven for a few hours, I cut off the point for chili to be made next weekend for our annual chili cook off fundraiser at church. Here was the point:

And the flat on the board, ready to slice.....

Sliced and put in a casserole with a couple of cups of beef broth I made up and touched up with some garlic and onion powder to keep it moist while we nibbled throughout the night.....

We found the thinner end of the flat to be just a bit dry, but that's to be expected since it was so thin and I didn't wrap during the cook but let it go the whole time. This slice was from the part of the flat that was over the point, which I find to be the best stuff on the flat usually.....

Thanks for lookin y'all!!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Sweet brother

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Great lookin grub fo sho!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
PatAttack

Duuuuuuude!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
deguerre

Man. I'd kill for that point. Flat ain't too shabby either. The Black Ops ROCKS.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Man. I'd kill for that point. Flat ain't too shabby either. The Black Ops ROCKS.
Why yes, yes it does.

I ended up with 3 lbs of point meat once the majority of the fat was trimmed off and it was cubed into about 3/4" cubes and vacuum sealed. I'm making 2 pots of my Big Boy Brisket Chili next weekend with it, which ALSO rocks! That brisket had a really big point to it.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

That's some good lookin brisket. I saw the Black Ops on their website a couple of days. Thinking of ordering it with some HDD. Do you know how the Black Ops compares to SM Peppered Cow?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
That's some good lookin brisket. I saw the Black Ops on their website a couple of days. Thinking of ordering it with some HDD. Do you know how the Black Ops compares to SM Peppered Cow?
Sorry, I don't. I've not had the pleasure of trying the SMPC yet. I've TRIED it out of the shaker, but not on brisket yet.

I know the Black Ops has sh1take mushroom dust in it. It has a distinct, earthy aroma and flavor to it. It's not real spicy, which is why I added pepper. I wouldn't think they'd be real similar, but I honestly don't know. Seems to me the PC had a real peppery flavor, but it's been a while.

Just noticed that the auto-edit on the forum won't let me spell S-H-I-T-A-K-E.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

Good Lord that looks good!!!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
I purposely built Black OPS to taste like nothing else on the market today. It is very unique. Perhaps the best blend I've ever come up with. There's enough copy cats out there, I don't ever want to be one of them...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
I purposely built Black OPS to taste like nothing else on the market today. It is very unique. Perhaps the best blend I've ever come up with. There's enough copy cats out there, I don't ever want to be one of them...
Its not just different Mike, its WILDLY different. Addictive almost.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome looking brisket, Wampas! I can't wait to hear how the brisket chili turns out...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Badlands BBQ
Got Wood.

You've piqued my interest... Just ordered some Black Ops...

[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][LIST][*][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy][B]Humphrey's Cubed Pint
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][*][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=3][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Primo Oval XL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][COLOR=green][SIZE=3][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Green]GMG Jim Bowie[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/LIST]
Badlands BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Why yes, yes it does.

I ended up with 3 lbs of point meat once the majority of the fat was trimmed off and it was cubed into about 3/4" cubes and vacuum sealed. I'm making 2 pots of my Big Boy Brisket Chili next weekend with it, which ALSO rocks! That brisket had a really big point to it.
Nah Wamp. YOU rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands BBQ View Post
You've piqued my interest... Just ordered some Black Ops...
You'll be a repeat customer. I gar ron tee.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Great cook bro looks great