cook day of or day before???

Tut-T-Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I created a business last summer. I cook all the meat same day except pork butts. I cook them day before and reheat(tastes better I think). do any of you cook the day before and reheat all your meats? ive talked to a guy who cooks all his meat for the whole week in one day and just labels them Monday-sunday and takes out everyday to reheat. I thought it was odd but it works for him. im trying to not stay up the whole night and day cooking but I don't want to affect the quality. just wondering what yall are doing for your own businesses and how it works out for ya so I can get a better take on thhe situation.

I pull them and put in trays. then put the trays in the smoker to reheat.

CVAP ovens work great, but, they add a layer of complexity to the cook. And they are pricey, and not portable.

With the exception of butts, BBQ tends to lose quality as it is held over long periods of time.

Been tossing the idea of which is better, CVAP or sous vide for restaurant (very small) application.

its all events and I have not purchased a trailer as of now. jus a trailer smoker and supplies pretty much.

Caveat, I do this for my 501(c)(3) nonprofit in Virginia, so we are exempt from health department inspection (since 2013). I have done a few cooks in the last 6 months for a regular customer (he has triathletes at events he feeds after). I have done pulled pork, chopped BBQ chicken, mac and cheese, and smoked veggies in the smoker. I have then vacuum sealed them with a FoodSaver vacuum sealer in 10b portions. The customer has reheated the foods in large pots of simmering water over a propane burner at his events. There have been 2 bags so far that have had a little leak due to the seal releasing, but nothing more than a little water getting into the product.

This is NOT my preferred method of doing business, and I hope to purchase a commercial vacuum sealer in the future. But, by being sealed, the food doesn't dry out during the reheat as is does in pans... I spike any pulled in the pan that I am reheating with a little apple juice to moisten it.

Back