MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #6676
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Last week I lifted the lid of My UDS too quick, the swirling vortex escaped, spawned a dirt devil which escalated into a mini tornado, took out a few clothes lines, and my neighbor's crab apple tree. The upside is that I now have more smoking wood and a few new t shirts.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #6677
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I used a 9" long piece of 2" SS pipe for the stack on my SS UDS. Stupid expensive, but it looks cool. I found my UDS ran too hot without a stack, especially on windy days. I think the wind was getting in the big 2+" hole and stirring things up. It's steadier with the stack. Now I need to come up with some kind of weather cap. I nearly had my fire put out during a typical FL frog-strangler. I ran out (in the thunder and lightning) and McGyvered a weather cap of sorts to save the meat, but I need to make something better looking.

Curious how much did the stainless set you back?

I also use about the same length stainless pipe when the winds are calm but for the rain/snow I have a stainless elbow.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #6678
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I bought an 18" Schedule 40 nipple, threaded on both ends (McMaster-Carr). I cut it in half to make one stack for my rig, and one for a buddy I built a SS UDS for. It was $55 for the 18" piece! I've spent a few bucks making my all-stainless UDS, but it should last me a long time! I just hate when I build something that works perfect, only to have it rust/rot/wear out.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #6679
Dr_KY

Ouch!! I'll go take a picture of my stack if you want.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #6680
bluesq
Found some matches.

Default First time UDS build

Thanks to all on the thread for pointing me in the right direction. I finished the build (less painting and adding a few toys) last night and this thing is Awesome!

I scored my open top barrel for $10 from a place that sells wholesale car wash and detail supplies. Mine had car wax inside. Took a trip to the car wash and rinsed out most of the residue, wiped down the rest and then did a mega burn by lighting up some firewood with my new best friend, my harbor freight weed burner, they had the deluxe model with the igniter on sale for $29, I toyed with getting the cheaper one for $19 but glad I got the red button to push..

I scored my grill grates at Academy Sports, they had them on clearance for $3.99 and the smaller charcoal grate for $2.99. (I did not realize at the time that these were a bit smaller than the more expensive weber grates, I saved $30 but had to modify my 1.5" Angle grate supports by adding a 1/2" square tube spacer on 2 of the 3 supports to keep the smaller cooking grate from slipping off of the supports.

I decided to go with 3 - 3/4" X 1" nipples for my air intakes and added caps to 2 of them and a ball valve (Ball Valve from Harbor Freight, saved 2 bucks) to the 3rd nipple ( that is funny, did I just say 3rd Nipple ).

I used the 2" Bung on the stock lid for the exhaust but I am looking for a 2" long pipe for an exhaust stack, could not find a 2" nipple or pipe at HD or Lowes, where do you find these things?

For the charcoal basket I used 3/4" expanded metal 24"X24" from HD for $18. I cut the piece in half with my cordless circular metal saw. I have had this saw for 3 years (came in a large kit of DeWalt cordless tools I bought) but never used it before. Wow, these circular metal saws are the ticket, it cut smooth as butter, fast as lightning and not sparks. The edges were very smooth. I welded the two pieces into one long 12"X48" piece and then bent that in a circle and welded the ends together.

At this point I realized that my Argon gas line was not hooked up to my welder from a recent move, no wonder my welds were so bad.. Still not great but working much better with the gas!

I added 2.5" 1/2" square tube legs on my basket to get it off of the bottom and will add an 18" pizza pan if I can ever find one??

I cut the 1.5" angle into 2" strips for the 6 L bracket Cooking grate supports and welded the bottom set first and the top set last. I tried to use a magnetic holdermajiggy to hold the brackets in place while welding but after having it fall into the bottom of the barrel a few times I resorted to the Orange County Choppers method of hold with one hand tack with the other and look the other way when you pull the trigger!

I was still fiddling with the settings on my welder and getting back in the groove and burned a few holes in the barrel when welding the L supports on. I puddled up some welding wire and filled the holes but it still pissed me off!

I used a step drill bit from HF to drill all the holes and added a single thermometer ($9.99 from Academy Sports) between the upper and lower cooking grates.

I did not add a handle as I think the 2" pipe might work for this when I find one.

Trying to decide on the paint scheme, flat black is cool and rat rod looking but also thinking that a glossy color might be cool...

I sprayed the inside with Pam and added about 10# of Kingsford to the basket. After lighting this with the flame thrower, I added several chunks of hickory. All intakes wide open and the top off to get it breathing, then added the top and watched the temp very slowly creep from 150º to 200º. I capped the 2 side intakes and she rocked steady at 200º. I opened the intakes again and watched it climb to 300º then throttled it back to 250º.

I threw a test run of 1 slab of spare ribs on and tried to maintain 275º. I read that was right but it seems to hot and the ribs were done in 2.5 hours.

Maintaining the 275º temp was not too bad but it would ramp up to 300º at times and drop as low as 250º. I did find myself taking off the nipple caps and putting them back on a bit but it was not a big deal.

After finishing with the ribs I opened up all of the intakes and shook the barrel a bit to get it up to max temp. It climbed to 425º and stayed there steady as a rock for over 2 hours. Not sure how long it actually stayed at 425º because I went to bed.

All in all on of the best projects ever, I already have friends asking questions so more builds to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burn.jpg (18.2 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg cutgrate.jpg (52.5 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg cleancut.jpg (44.5 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg clampbasket.jpg (59.2 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg metalsaw.jpg (84.4 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg sparks.jpg (56.1 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg basket.jpg (79.0 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg grateloswersupports.jpg (62.2 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg uppergratesupports.jpg (75.3 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg loadedbasket.jpg (38.6 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg nipplecap2.jpg (42.7 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg ballvalve.jpg (43.6 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg flamethrower.jpg (47.6 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg uglydrum.jpg (64.8 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg uglydrum2.jpg (56.4 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg wehaveliftoff.jpg (32.1 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg smokin2.jpg (55.8 KB, 676 views)

Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #6681
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Well I finished making my UDS last week so yesterday I used it to smoke a 11lb brisket and a lot of jap poppers, everything went great I started the brisket at 5am dialed the uds in at 250 and it was done at 11am so 6 hours the internal temp was at 192 then I let it rest on the stove in foil for 2 hours. I also want to say that this way of cooking is amazing this is the first brisket I've every tried to cook and it came out great I loaded 10 pounds of KF five good size chunks of apple and this thing burned for 16 plus hours my bud's were shocked and so was I here go some picks thx for looking.

Hook Em!
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #6682
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

Nice

Old 09-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #6683
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good! another UDS is born!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #6684
Meat Burner

Hey Austin, were you looking at the temp on the side of your drum being 250 degrees. Typically, that would put your grate temp closer to 275 - 285 degrees which would better explain a 11 lb brisket in 6 hours. That would make more sense.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #6685
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Your nailing bro!! Keep up the good work!!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #6686
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Hey Austin, were you looking at the temp on the side of your drum being 250 degrees. Typically, that would put your grate temp closer to 275 - 285 degrees which would better explain a 11 lb brisket in 6 hours. That would make more sense.
I have a 12"turkey fryer thermo it sits right under the grate maybe a few cm away from the grate it said 250 for the 6 hours it was on so.. Thx ya'll

Old 09-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #6687
Meat Burner

Austin, if you can pick up a cheap oven therm, about 5 bucks at most hardware type stores, Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, etc., and check the actual grate temp at various locations. My side therm is only about 2 inches long and my center grate temp is about 35 degrees higher and the outside edges are about 25 degrees higher that what the side therm reads. The long one you have may be more accurate though. The 6 hour cook just seemed a little quick but hey, it's done when it done. Glad you built the drum, as it's a cooking machine.

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #6688
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Austin, if you can pick up a cheap oven therm, about 5 bucks at most hardware type stores, Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, etc., and check the actual grate temp at various locations. My side therm is only about 2 inches long and my center grate temp is about 35 degrees higher and the outside edges are about 25 degrees higher that what the side therm reads. The long one you have may be more accurate though. The 6 hour cook just seemed a little quick but hey, it's done when it done. Glad you built the drum, as it's a cooking machine.
I also tested it with a probe I have to see if it was right and the prob said 252, ya its done when its done think next time I'm going to pull it at 180 internal and see how that works out this one was tender but I think I can make it a little more tender. This thing is a cooking machine think I'm going to do 2 pork butts next weekend.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #6689
Meat Burner

Sounds like you are all over it bro. It is great when you have a cooker that is fun to cook on. Keep us posted as you do different stuff.

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #6690
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Sounds like you are all over it bro. It is great when you have a cooker that is fun to cook on. Keep us posted as you do different stuff.
It sure is man, will do

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker