30lb of Beef Sausage: Gochujang Habanero, Bulgogi and KC Steak

Looks great :thumb: I'll have to snag a chuck roll from RD the next time I'm there.

That looks like a great Sunday afternoon/evening "sampling" with the family.

Since the extra mild ones came out so well, are you going to make some spicy ones next week? :grin:

Looks great Jason.....I need to grind some and stuff I’ve got about 40 pounds of wild hog off our farm that is cleaned and ready to go

I wish we had some wild hogs around here we could go hunt. Would love to have all that meat! Had some wild hog sausage before and really liked it.

Since the extra mild ones came out so well, are you going to make some spicy ones next week? :grin:

I was happy that this batch won't kill anyone since there is a lot of it. Though most folks might think it has too much kick.

So now I might have to do a trinidad scorpion or carolina reaper one since I still have powders of those. Make a "Well That Was a Bad Idea" recipe :-D.

*Standing ovation* Those pics look OUTSTANDING! I've been trying and trying to do an all beef sausage for several years now. I'd never even considered trying a chuck roll. Always went for cheap cuts and that's what it seems like most old school butchers always used.

No added extra fat? The Lockhart people always seem to say 80/20, 85/15, etc. Next to impossible to find beef fat.

No added extra fat? The Lockhart people always seem to say 80/20, 85/15, etc. Next to impossible to find beef fat.

80/20 does work really well. Next time you trim a brisket, keep some of the softer fat, works great for beef sausages. I've also added minor amounts of pork fat/belly to get a better fat ratio but then it's no longer a true 100% beef sausage.

Jason, those links look amazing. Good reminder that I need to make some new batches of sausages. Time consuming but when the results are good, they are REALLY GOOD.

*Standing ovation* Those pics look OUTSTANDING! I've been trying and trying to do an all beef sausage for several years now. I'd never even considered trying a chuck roll. Always went for cheap cuts and that's what it seems like most old school butchers always used.

Thanks. Ya no extra fat, just the chuck roll. Very happy with these. I've never seen beef fat easily accessible. Will be playing more with this again.

Those look great! I've only had beef sausage a few times. It's just not widely available for me, but I'm gonna have to hunt some down now. Surely it won't be like your stuff.
Maybe I'll stare at those pics and chew.

Everything looks really good! What kind of grinder do you have?

I'm not sure of the brand Jason has, but it is a big ass commercial grade 1.5 hp #32 grinder. If you ever see a #32 grinding plate up close you will get the how big it is.

Inspired by this tread, I just ground up 9 lbs of Chuck roast and 15 lbs of Chicken leg meat. Doing a Bulgogi with some Dales and BPS Little Louie mixed in. The chicken is going to be a Thai Basil and Green Curry mix up.

I have the Cabela's 3/4 Carnivore #12 grinder and I thought it was a beast, but it is lightweight compared to a #32. Mine weights in at over 40 lbs, so I am glad I did not go bigger. I ground the 15 lbs of leg meat in 2 mins and I did not cut them up at all. just tore them apart with my hands if they were a little too big. That is the benefit of the bigger grinders, the throat and auger are bigger, so let cutting up. Well that was a long enough break, back to mixing sausage.

I'm not sure of the brand Jason has, but it is a big ass commercial grade 1.5 hp #32 grinder. If you ever see a #32 grinding plate up close you will get the how big it is.

Inspired by this tread, I just ground up 9 lbs of Chuck roast and 15 lbs of Chicken leg meat. Doing a Bulgogi with some Dales and BPS Little Louie mixed in. The chicken is going to be a Thai Basil and Green Curry mix up.

I have the Cabela's 3/4 Carnivore #12 grinder and I thought it was a beast, but it is lightweight compared to a #32. Mine weights in at over 40 lbs, so I am glad I did not go bigger. I ground the 15 lbs of leg meat in 2 mins and I did not cut them up at all. just tore them apart with my hands if they were a little too big. That is the benefit of the bigger grinders, the throat and auger are bigger, so let cutting up. Well that was a long enough break, back to mixing sausage.

Mine is probably overkill even for the 30lb batches I do, but for half off brand new I couldn't say no. #12 is plenty. Throat is big though. The plunger isn't even needed as gravity just takes it all down which is fun :caked:.

But the downside is the base is literally 70lbs so I might eventually throw my back out lifting it up. It's like a big ass kettle bell :mrgreen:.

1tgTLsxl.jpg

Back