MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
promad
On the road to being a farker

Default Weber kettle

If you was gonna buy a kettle and could afford it would you just get the 22.5 gold or go ahead and get the 26.5 I looked at a 26.5 today were I bought my wsm 22.5 and that thing is huge ?
promad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Well if you have the need for the extra space than get the 26.5, me I'd really have no need for anything bigger than the 22.5.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Well if you have the need for the extra space than get the 26.5, me I'd really have no need for anything bigger than the 22.5.
agree... depends on your capacity needs..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My lovely bride of almost 30 years got me the 26 1/2" for my birthday and it is really awesome. It is amazing how much more it can handle. We do some church, Sertoma, and work cooks so the extra space comes in real handy for things like wings, abt's, fatties, burgers, hot dogs, 2 spatched chix or turkey. For just us, the 22 1/2" is just perfect. It's all good!!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Yes.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
rcorun
Knows what a fatty is.

I have both and never regretted it. Also have a party que for each. Happy as can be
rcorun is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Depends on what other cookers you have, how many you will be cooking for and how you plan to use it (just grilling, grilling and smoking, etc).
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
mrboy
Full Fledged Farker

I've had a 26.5 for 30 years and just bought a 22.5 this summer. If I'm grill'in a couple of steaks or hamburgers I'm using the 22.5. If I was cook'in a turkey or smok'in something else I always used the 26.5.

Since I built my UDS I don't have much use for my 26.5 anymore, but I hang onto it in the hopes of some day finding an 85 gallon steel drum to make a big boy UDS.
mrboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
TheRealGrinder
Got Wood.

It depends on how much food you grill. I went with the 26. Use it as a second grill when I don't have enough space on the Primo. We do a lot of entertaining and I can get around 20 ears of corn on the 26 direct or 12-15 chicken thighs indirect. For cooking a couple burgers or steaks, it a little overkill.
TheRealGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

SIZE matters Mo Bigga Mo Betta!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Get the bigun, you won't look back!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I have a 22.5" Silver, a 22.5 Performer, and a 26.5", so here are my thoughts...

Since you said you have the money, that is not a huge deal, but here is why I think the 26.5" is a better choice...

It is bigger of course, and it doesn't sound much bigger, but it is. The great thing though is that if you are cooking for just a few and don't need all that space, it isn't really a waste. All you do is not fill up the whole dang thing with charcoal, just put all your charcoal off to one side and grill over that. It really doesn't use any more charcoal since you are talking about direct grilling. And if you decide to try some indirect cooking on it, the extra space is even better so you can get the food a bit further from the heat and have some extra cooking space.

It also has a very nice lid holder, which some people will complain about on the 22.5" Performers because it leaves the lid kind of angled and in your way, but not so on the 26.5", it goes straight vertical and out of the way on mine.

This may just be because it has more metal, but my 26.5" seems to be a heavier metal than my 22.5" grills, and better constructed.

Anyways, if I had to choose between those, I would get the 26.5". Now if you threw a 22.5" Performer Platinum against the 26.5", the race will get very interesting!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Meat Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboy View Post
I've had a 26.5 for 30 years and just bought a 22.5 this summer. If I'm grill'in a couple of steaks or hamburgers I'm using the 22.5. If I was cook'in a turkey or smok'in something else I always used the 26.5.

Since I built my UDS I don't have much use for my 26.5 anymore, but I hang onto it in the hopes of some day finding an 85 gallon steel drum to make a big boy UDS.
Where did you get a 26 1/2" Weber 30 years ago?

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I have both, get the 26.75".
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
MasteringTheFlame
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've got a 22.5 weber, but sometimes I could really use the extra space, so go for the 26.5. Or better yet get one of each; there will be times when an extra grill would come in handy.
MasteringTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote