just curious ??

letdasmokeroll

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am just curious to see how many are out there ??? I dont have any of the fancy, high tech, thermos or digital devices to keep track of my heat or meat...I just go by look ...feel ...fire...and probe with a wooden skewer for tenderness ..my question is ...is their anyone else out there like this or am I just crazy

Therms on my pits and grills. Thermapen for steak, pork tenderloins/chops and chicken. Everything else I use the very high tech and outrageously expensive........wooden skewer. I have three double probe mavericks. They see no use in the last two years and one is brand new in the box.

I am just curious to see how many are out there ??? I dont have any of the fancy, high tech, thermos or digital devices to keep track of my heat or meat...I just go by look ...feel ...fire...and probe with a wooden skewer for tenderness ..my question is ...is their anyone else out there like this or am I just crazy

:thumb:

:clap2:

I'm currently running a 2" thermometer for probe temps, and an $8 therm stuck in the side of the barrel! No shame there!

I have a $250 grill\smoker with a lid temp gauge and I have a $25 wireless thermometer. The rest is look and feel.

I know some that cook by feel. Been doing it all their life and even cook for a living. It is a hobby for me and I don't have those years of experience/knowledge. I use tools/digital probes to help me till I learn. It is an art I believe!

Yeah, I don't use any of the fancy (expensive) stuff either. Folds have been cooking BBQ forever, fancy tools are new, they seemed to do just fine.

A cheap ol baby monitor works for me... and if the batter dies then I have to get off my arse and go check the pit temp...poke the meat mostly to see when done.

The analog therm in the lid of the stick burner and a $12.00 Taylor digital,
for safety reasons mostly. Just bought that a year ago.

I have a dial therm in my UDS but it only goes about 2 or 3 inches in the barrel. I have not to date used a therm-pen or anything else on it. Be that as it may, tonight was only my 2nd official run on it. I pondered getting some fancy gadgets but decided to learn to do it by look and feel.

I bought and sold a maverick this year. I don't like the probes etc. I like to watch the temp and adjust as required. I do plan on a thermopen, however, I think the misses is going to be getting it for me as a christmas gift!!

I'm another.

I own a maverick but never used it, and I own a thermapen that I use sometimes on chicken but the funny thing is, I only ever use it when the food is sitting on the table in the kitchen!:doh:

Some cooks are nothing while others i use a Maverick ...
While not necessary it allows you to keep the pit shut because your temp reading is your eyes on the meat (so to speak)

Back