Run away temps on my Drum....Should I sacrifice my weber Kettle to the BBQ Gods??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok so the last few times I have cooked on my drum smoker my temps have run off over 300* and I couldn't get them back down. Actaully now that I think of it every time I have used it, it hasn't been below 275*. I just can't seem to get the temps down on it, even with all the vents closed, and 1 left partially open. I think my problem is that I'm using a cheapo Uniflame dome lid from Walmart and it doesn't seal well at all. There's a nice size gap around the top where the lid sits on the drum. So my question is...could this be the reason for my run away temps? If it is, should I sacrifice my 22.5" kettle and make a flange out of the bottom part so the lid fits nice and snug? I purchased a weber performer so I haven't used this grill since. I think it may be feeling neglected. So should I try and fix the seal issue with the current lid? Or go with the weber lid and flange mod? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Oh here are a couple pics of my drum. Sorry for the bad pics, but you can kind of see how the lid doesn't completely seal.

Attachments

• philly_Drum_Smoker2.jpg
    philly_Drum_Smoker2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 134
  • philly_Drum_Smoker.jpg
    philly_Drum_Smoker.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 132
If you plan on ridding yourself of the current lid for the new weber flange and lid, why not try to make yours fit first? There are a lot of posts from guys who flatten/widen their lid's lip to work. I used a crescent wrench to just pull my Weber lid lip out the entire way around just enough to cover the drum ring (didn't take much). Some guys use a rubber mallet to flatten it out, then set it on the drum, and hammer any overhang back down to create a custom lip. Might not look as nice, but you won't have to gut a grill for it. And if you aren't happy with it, just go back to your original plan and hack it up the Weber!

Can you cut off and insert the bottom of the Uniflame smoker into the top of your drum. This is what I did with an old kettle. I sealed it with a flat Rutland gasket and it works great. I left about 2" of the kettle bottom to fit into the top of the drum.

Gasket.jpg

RemovableLidSeal.jpg

My MUDS isn't completely sealed as well between the lid and the rim,it can hold temps but when I shut her down the coals will stay lit till the next day.
I'm thinking about adding a high heat silicone something or a rope gasket...if I can find 1 of the 2.

does it work at lower temps with the flat lid :idea::idea::idea: if it works with the flat lid then it is the dome but if not your going after the wrong thing :idea::idea::idea:

Unfortunately I just threw out the bottom part of the Uniflame grill....I knew I should have kept it! :mad: I would prefer not to sacrifice the weber kettle since its in perfectly good shape. I think I will try bending the uniflame lid out some so I get a better seal. I did have a fireplace rope gasket going around the top of the drum but I bought one that was too thick and it interfered when I needed to remove the grate. Maybe I'll pick up a smaller one and give that a shot again. Could it also be that maybe I'm starting with too much lit charcoal?

Oh and the Phillies sticker helps the food taste a lot better.

No, it is probably too much air flow. Even if you started with a full chimney, the temps would drop. Although, it would not hurt to just start with about 1/3 of a chimney.

I hope this isn't jacking the thread - since you are asking about how to deal with the lid. Yet you are also asking about how to deal with "run away" temps...

Here's my thought - let the cooker cook where it wants. 275-300* is a perfect temp for smoking. In fact I try not to get below 275. That's one way to deal with the "problem." Just stop thinking about it as a problem!

Now if the issue is temp stability because it won't stay at a temp - then that's another problem :)

Too much lit charcoal can have your Drum temperatures up if you try to light all the coals in the Charcoal Basket at once!!! If you are just lighting only a handful of coals using the minion method then your OK!! You are either using too much lump or Coals or you indeed have an updraft problem!!!! Try flattening out that lid.. I did and it works great

I hope this isn't jacking the thread - since you are asking about how to deal with the lid. Yet you are also asking about how to deal with "run away" temps...

Here's my thought - let the cooker cook where it wants. 275-300* is a perfect temp for smoking. In fact I try not to get below 275. That's one way to deal with the "problem." Just stop thinking about it as a problem!

Now if the issue is temp stability because it won't stay at a temp - then that's another problem :)

Bamm!! Monty's dead on people Great answer monty, because i have done exactly what you have stated here!!! Don't worry, and as long as your Temp Guage(if you have one) stays within Smoke Range and the BBQ Range you are cookin with grease baby!! LOL

IF it is a problem as a result of an ill fitting lid, you can determine this simply enough. Take some aluminum foil and fold them in 3rds. Place around the drum rim with enough "crinkle" to them to secure a tighter fit when you put the lid on. Fire it up and see if you have better temp control. If not, it is a relatively inexpensive way of ruling that one out.

Bamm!! Monty's dead on people Great answer monty, because i have done exactly what you have stated here!!! Don't worry, and as long as your Temp Guage(if you have one) stays within Smoke Range and the BBQ Range you are cookin with grease baby!! LOL

Unfortunatly I cannot agree with these statements, as there are items cooked in a smoker that respond better to lower temps. Of course if you don't mind the cooker dictating the temps it will cook at, as opposed to you controlling the cooker, then I guess there is no problem...

Hope im not thread jacking but im having the same problem but with the flat lid. I have a 2.5" dia. 6" long piece of exhaust pipe right in the center of the lid. Is that too much exhaust?

I have the same lids that didnt fit right uniflame what i did was with pliers opened up the lip and the with a rubber mallet hit the rim down so it was tight to the rim of the drum and then hammered over the edge and they fit like a glove the ceramic coating flaked off but then painted them up and can even tell I even got the hinges to work after the fit nice

Back