Brisket eludes me (still)

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

Thanks to a lot of hard work and trial/error (and the help of many in this community), I have reached the point in my BBQ voyage where I can confidently prepare most any kind of 'Q -- and expect solid results. My ribs and chicken are pretty dialed in, and I recently had an experienced connoisseur of pork shoulder tell me my product is among the best he's had. I'm feeling pretty good, especially when you consider I couldn't grill hamburgers just five short years ago. But my smiles turn to shame when you mention brisket....

-------------------

Yesterday I took a fifth shot at brisket and produced yet another "okay" product. It was a 6 out of 10, with marks down for dryness in the flat (it was moist, but nowhere near melt in your mouth goodness) and a curious lack of smoke-ring despite having hickory and applewood in the firebox section of my WSM. I need some help here, because I have made multiple changes in my cook strategy in an effort to create a succulent brisket, and it just ain't happening.

Here are some data points to help you help me:

- 22.5" WSM using Kingsford charcoal mixed with hickory and applewood lumps
- 12.5 lbs packer brisket USDA "Choice" (very flexible with good thick end)
- Seasoned liberally with S&P only
- Cook temp of 235 consistently throughout the 13+ hour cook
- Started probing at internal temp of 180. Ended up taking it off the heat at 195 probing tender -- but not like butter -- in the flat
- Let it rest 90 minutes in towels before slicing

And the results were...

kv7vw.jpg

What the heck am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Bastid

Cook hotter low temps will dry it out due to longer cook times

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag
DSCF0087.jpg

once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.

Internal temp 150?? Is that a typo?

EDIT: You meant that it comes back down to 150 on the kitchen table. Gotcha...

Too low of a cook temp IMO. You would have to be probing at really long intervals to feel any difference. Other than wagyu, I have never had a brisket done at 195. You didn't cook long enough. A longer FTC might have helped soften it up if you put it in while still hot.

Internal temp 150?? Is that a typo?
That is no TYPO that is the finish temp after it has COOLED during the rest. It takes about 2 hrs or so for the IT to drop as it sits wrapped in the paper it was cook in on the counter top.

That is no TYPO that is the finish temp after it has COOLED during the rest. It takes about 2 hrs or so for the IT to drop as it sits wrapped in the paper it was cook in on the counter top.

Yeah. I figured out what you meant and edited my comment :wink:

So if I'm doing my math correctly, you're looking at a roughly 7-8 hour total process:

-Four hours on
-One to two wrapped
-Two off the heat

Beats the 15 hours I've been running...

Too low of a cook temp IMO. You would have to be probing at really long intervals to feel any difference. Other than wagyu, I have never had a brisket done at 195. You didn't cook long enough. A longer FTC might have helped soften it up if you put it in while still hot.

Interesting Billy. I know brisket isn't done "til it's done" but if you had to guess a typical internal temp range for when it's done -- what are you thoughts?

If you cook at a lower temp, it will probe at a lower temp.. At 225ish I've seen 201-205 finish temps. At 300, 210-215 is a more realistic range. Did a brisket at 300 on Friday and it probed tender at 212.

You do have a smoke ring on that brisket, it's not huge, but it's there. Add some celery salt to your rub and put some water in your pan if the smoke ring is important to you.

Try Blu's approach. It's solid. I am a HNF convert because of him. I doubt I'll cook another one at 225.

I know some pull at 195, but my experience that almost all briskets to not probe butter tender until the 205 - 208 internal temperature range. Basically, you are not cooking it until it is done.

It dont matter if your cooking at 225 or 325. Both will work and both will create great food. But when it comes to Beef esp. Ya cant cook it to a certain temp. Its gotta come off at probe temder in the flat. Period

It dont matter if your cooking at 225 or 325. Both will work and both will create great food. But when it comes to Beef esp. Ya cant cook it to a certain temp. Its gotta come off at probe temder in the flat. Period

Agreed, Dan. I'm just trying to get my arms around the range where I can expect it to happen.

I like the book" championship bbq secrets."
They give a great technique for brisket. Book costs about$25. You have buy it online.

Yup, what he (and others) are sayin' ^^.
Finish temp was likely too low. It's dry because the collagen and connective tissue probably did not reach the temp necessary to break down into melty goodness.
I've only done one brisket but I didn't start probing until 195 IT in the flat. It was jiggly at 202. That's when it probed "like buttah".

Here are some data points to help you help me:

- 22.5" WSM using Kingsford charcoal mixed with hickory and applewood lumps
- 12.5 lbs packer brisket USDA "Choice" (very flexible with good thick end)
- Seasoned liberally with S&P only
- Cook temp of 235 consistently throughout the 13+ hour cook
- Started probing at internal temp of 180. Ended up taking it off the heat at 195 probing tender -- but not like butter -- in the flat
- Let it rest 90 minutes in towels before slicing

There's your answer. It took me a good amount of time to figure out that "feel". Most of us think, "It really isn't going to probe exactly like butter, so they just mean when I have just a little resistance". NOPE, you have to go till the probe slides in with NO resistance at all. Usually by that time, you have lost your patience and people are getting hungry, so you have to plan your cook out. Nothing wrong with your brisket resting in a warm cooler, wrapped in foil and towels for a few hours. If your cook takes a bit longer than expected, you have that buffer.

I never had any luck with brisket until I started cooking hot and fast, I haven't had a bad one since then.

2 hours @ 200, the 6-7 hours @ 275:
picture.php

Best shot of the year!

I know everyone will HATE this!

Yes, an edict!

An Edict is a statment of law; often associated with monarchism.

Please go on or click ignore if:

1. You think you are going to pursuade me I am anything but a "King," for essentially I am one, as Henry the IV was in Luigi Pirandello's, Enrico the IV. If you know what this refers to or at least are the type of intellect that would wiki this so you could appear to know what you are talking about then you have the intellectual qualifications to participate because it is a hell of a reference to what I do.

2. If you are a low and slower that does well with this process and know that we mutually realize that our different house temps are just another way of doing things... with different preps, rubs and tools, then this may be a waste of time.

3. If you are a noobe coming in here to say things like "there is only one true thing about bbq we can all agree on and follow that with ... bbq is not simmering, bbq is always low and slow...." well then you may want to shutup or leave.

4. If you are the type of person that says things like "such and such wins everytime," then reveal you have no team, never ran one, or was taught by some guy that knows and would refuse to reflect on your own skills you may what to pass on commentary.

5. If you are going to keep griping about your scores yet insist everything you are doing is not subject to review... you may want to cintinue your path toward mediocrity.

So who is this edict for? If you are struggling with a meat and/or have tanked your scores, and/or are totally new and want a starting point or re-reference point, I say this might be the law for you.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - the 270 degree temp shall be the official novice or resetting (for the experienced) house average cooking temp for both brisket, spares, beef ribs and pulled pork. This is an overall house temp.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the cook using the H and F method will value a goos rest and its role in making a good brisket or butt.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the depth of smoke flavor and smoke ring will be attained by a lower 200 degree initial smoke of at least one hour and no more than two (althouh Phil does a wicked sexy thang with his butts I have tried and is awesome but not for the novice).

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - a cook will make every effort to keep those temps within 20 degrees of either side of the official noobe temp of 270.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that 270, or any hot and fast temp comes with its own set of rubs, techniques and tribulations. Those that seek to croos low and slow techniques (esp the use of sugars) with hot and fast techniques do so at their own peril and deserve the crappy results they will get. There can be no crossing of the streams!!!! Initially.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the Night Train in a Dark Closet shall be the official starting point of mastering a BBQ Brisket and attaining the Feel without wasting precious money and resources.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that the Night train shall only be done with foil and in the oven and not any type of smoker.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that any "probe" shall be capable of performing its duty had it been created in the 1920. This would exclude electronic temp probes.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that these laws are intended, once again, for the novice to new meats (excluding clod which should be cooked to medium rare at 400 - 450) to the person who has lost their way or never found it from the low and slow death march.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that this edict was essentially a way to reconcile true hot and fast with the realities of our german steel oven pits.

It shall be resolved, that until the Popdaddy or Barbefunkoramaque or Pitmaster T brand next contradicts itself - that once the meat is mastered at the entry temp suggested, it is ENTIRELY fine to tweak to either side in both time and temp and even rub, slather, or artifical injections, to get to where the individual desires.

Back