MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Captainjack
Found some matches.

Default They want a percentage???

I have been asked to vend pulled pork and Sliced beef at an event at our city park. Last year there were alot of people there and no food to speak of. (I was at a KCBS comp, and we won) They are all excited to have my trailer there with good food. Now the other shoe drops that they want 25% of my profits.
I can jack my price up a buck and make out pretty well and it is a charitable organization that give back a lot to our little city and area. My question, has anybody vended in a similar situation and does this sound fair. I will be the only food vendor there other than the Rotary selling brats and hot dogs.

I am tending to probably do this as I think it will benefit both of us. I just interested to see what the rest of the world thinks.

Thanks,
Jack
Captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

splits range from 80/20 to 60/40 depending on the traffic
25% take they should supply a nice crowd

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

I would only give a percentage after , I reached a point when all my costs and wages were covered. I understand from your post they want 25% of the net. Let me give you an example, I was asked to do a naked Bunji jump, estimated crowd of over 10,000, they made sure I as the only caterer that this was huge, and wouldn't be asked back as the only caterer if I ran out of food. My cost to do it was 3000 in product, we grossed 300, they took their 30 dollars and I ate, all of the waste., therefor I refuse to give any percentage unless they want to take some of the risk, I.E. pay me if it is a bust.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

25% of fully encumbered profits, that is not bad. If the crowd is large and you are mostly one of two, then I would do it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Bigmista

I wish my markets took net instead of gross.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

No more than 10% of net, to easy to sell a pipe dream without the cash outlay. JMO
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

A percentage of net profit? Sure.

My question is this...how exactly are they supposed to know if you actually made a profit at their event? That is alot of trust being extended on their part.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Captainjack
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not worried about this deal being a flop as it has been an annual event for 50+ years. The Rotary club is promoting the event and I know most everyone in the club. I have been assured that whatever I say I sell will satisfy them. I have no plans to cheat them and I hope that we will both do well. There is a large car show, volleyball tourny, softball tourny, horseshoe tourny, tractor pull and a bunch of crafters. There isn't much else in the area to do so this is a big event. I will post what my results are. It's August 20th so I have some time to prepare.

Thanks again,
Jack
Captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You can make money at 25% make sure you price your stuff correctly. We do an event up here at 20% and I just up everything $1 and it helps a lot. You will have to do some volume to make a good nut. But its possible.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
chad

You should be able to write off this 25% as a charitable deduction as the $$ is going to the Rotary Club. At least that can make 25% a bit more palatable.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

At our comp we don't want anything of your sales. We charge you a set fee to come in and we only need to know your books because we are using federal land, we need to pay the taxes on all "profits".

Now not sure of how the place is arriving at 25% if it's total sales or profits.

Profits = sales - expenses. (food cost, fuel, travel expenses, labor and employees....)

Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm in at 10% , if they want better than that then I would have to state to them that A) you get nothing until we gross X B) 10% until we sell XX and when we hit XXX we will pay 20%
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

It's a tough one. We recently decided not to have a booth at an event because of being charged 20% after a $500.00 profit but, that was after paying them $300 for the booth to begin with and then there were a bunch of rules that we weren't comfortable with.
If the booth were free and you could up your prices accordingly to make up for the 20%. It could definitely be worth it.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
chad

A lot of events are taking the vendor for a ride. They feel like they are the only game in town and over-state crowds, charge exorbitant fees, limit your prices and what you can sell, and THEN want 10-25% on top!! Might as well open a kiosk in your local mall for those kind of rates!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
WaywardSon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
A lot of events are taking the vendor for a ride. They feel like they are the only game in town and over-state crowds, charge exorbitant fees, limit your prices and what you can sell, and THEN want 10-25% on top!! Might as well open a kiosk in your local mall for those kind of rates!!
Well, it's Sunday morning...can I get an amen:-) I'm not going to just come out and say that promoters lie, but they are certainly going to give you a best case scenario. I don't think I have ever had an event live up to what the promoter said would happen. That doesn't mean you can't make money, but you need to take a hard look at what you are being charged to set up and figure what you are going to have to gross in order for YOU to make a profit. If it is not an established event & I don't have an exclusive on the product I am selling, I'll pass if they want a percentage.
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote