MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #76
txsmkmstr
Full Fledged Farker

Relative to the the grease drain ideas I bought a 45 degree bend (technical term "street ell") and installed on the drain nipple. This allowed the ball valve to slightly outside the frame of the smoker and easier to get to the handle. I've tried buckets, pails and other containers for the grease but seems like they were always a stinky mess to deal with or too far away from the drain outlet - plus the dogs seemed to get their head up in there - yuck!!!

My solution was to use some elastic cord and a plastic bag (ziplock sandwich or quart size) making a colostomy bag set up attaching the bag directly to the ball valve itself. Once the cook was done I use a twisty tie to seal it all up and toss in the garbage. One wipe of the drain outlet with a paper towel and all is good.

I've quit using water in my smokers a long time ago. It just adds to the preheat time and makes a hellava mess to clean up and dispose. The extent I clean is an occasional scraping with a wide putty knife to get the chunks off - no hosing of the interior ever.

Last edited by txsmkmstr; 06-24-2018 at 04:23 PM..
txsmkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 06-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #77
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
You’re entitled to your opinion although it comes off as condescending since you know nothing about me and don’t own this particular smoker. Given a good draft, a small fire can be maintained with a proportionately small coal base. Without it, the operator will need to find another solution (eg cook with firebox door open, use smaller splits, lengthen smoke stack, elevate stack end of smoker, etc).
There is an 'ol saying......... "there's always one" You are it.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #78
marvda1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjman View Post
How about cutting that hose short, stuffing into a used milk or water jug and setting on rack...seal so it don't stink when done, toss when full.

Or a bucket with foil, but I think someone already suggested that.
the hose is mostly for when I clean out the pit so the water does not run on my patio.
marvda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #79
txsmkmstr
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Can’t speak to your particular model, but with my 24x36 I tried everything in my arsenal (very small splits, preheated splits inside the firebox, using over seasoned wood, floor fan blowing into the firebox, adjusting leveling of the smoker, running it without tuning plates to minimize resistance). I know a lot of people (Franklin most notably) say to cook with the firebox door open, but I was annoyed that I had to do it as a requirement and not just an option. With my intake now larger, cooks are much less of a headache and more enjoyable.
My LSG pit with insulated firebox could benefit from a larger intake but ONLY during warm up and initial burn of the first log pile. If I close the door and lock it too soon my fire will try to smolder and pre-heat times are lengthened. Now, I make the sure the gas assist has done it's work and close the door but do not latch it shut. Once a decent coal base is formed I can start locking the door. From there I can run the intake pretty much where I want to maintaining my desired fire characteristics. I can truly see the plus in an extra 2" (wild-ass guess) on the overall width side to side.

Note: I do consider my experience to be part of learning a new pit and not an indictment of the product overall.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #80
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

For those talking about the intake size, if you look at the pits coming out now he did change the size and style of the intake. Curious as to why he did that.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #81
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
For those talking about the intake size, if you look at the pits coming out now he did change the size and style of the intake. Curious as to why he did that.
That is interesting. Are you talking about the traditional 24x36 smokers or the new 20 x 36 ones?
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #82
CptKaos
Take a breath!

Quote:
That's easy, they cost less to produce.

Larry
CptKaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #83
kenrobin
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
Guys, the "Arrival & Walkaround" video I just posted to the updated list above is from Kenyatta Robinson, a guy in SoCal who just took receipt of his new 20x42 LSG this weekend. He's got several accessories that I did not order, and his video was really interesting - if you think my delivery was scary, you should watch his :)

With another 20x42 user posting vids, we'll all benefit from better variety.
Thanks for the shout out! Slight correction... I'm actually in Northern CA, around 30 miles east of San Francisco. However, I am a graduate from USC. I'm enjoying the wealth of information and sharing of knowledge about LSG's offsets. My experience would be at least 10 times more challenging without forums like this.

Last edited by kenrobin; 06-24-2018 at 07:59 PM..
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #84
kenrobin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Check out LSG's video introducing the 20" offset redesign. Chris explains the reasons for the redesign. https://youtu.be/X-qQNYp4uWE

Old 06-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #85
Baychilla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

The videos are interesting, especially for the 20x30. I don't know if one of them is a Dev/experimental unit or what but the website doesn't show the stop for the cooking chamber door, nor the inlet for a temp controller being in the sliding vent door.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #86
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
That is interesting. Are you talking about the traditional 24x36 smokers or the new 20 x 36 ones?
From what I have seen on the Facebook fan page it is on all the pits from pipe smokers to the new cabinet smokers. All sizes.

It would interesting to know the area opening of the new design compared to the old design.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #87
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
From what I have seen on the Facebook fan page it is on all the pits from pipe smokers to the new cabinet smokers. All sizes.

It would interesting to know the area opening of the new design compared to the old design.
Just looked at the new design. It looks like a pretty significant size increase. Eyeballing, I'd say about the same width but a good 50-60% more vertical height.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 PM   #88
kenrobin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
The videos are interesting, especially for the 20x30. I don't know if one of them is a Dev/experimental unit or what but the website doesn't show the stop for the cooking chamber door, nor the inlet for a temp controller being in the sliding vent door.
Similar to @AKMIMNAK, I have the new 20x42 model. I think I forgot to mention it in my walkaround video, but the temp controller port on my model is located on the other side of the firebox, near the log lighter. You can see it at the 5:38 mark in this video. https://youtu.be/UnyinCAxjE0

I was also expecting the temp controller port to be next to the damper like it is in LSG's video. I guess the model used in their video is the experimental prototype.

I prefer having the temp controller port on the other side of the firebox as this will make it easier to sit the controller on the folding shelf. It also works better because the probe ports are on the left side of the cooking chamber, near the smoke stack.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #89
AKMIMNAK
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post

Note: I do consider my experience to be part of learning a new pit and not an indictment of the product overall.
This is exactly my feeling. Not blaming LSG at all. I'm just saying, at my skill level, I needed to crack the door several times. I'll learn.
Want a chance at a free Lone Star Grillz 20x42 with Offroad Package? Subscribe to my YouTube channel and share the video below everywhere you can on social media! If we hit 100K subs by June 15, 2020 I'll be giving one away right on my channel. Thanks for your help and good luck!

LSG 20x42 Giveaway Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddf7HM5WDM
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 AM   #90
AKMIMNAK
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobin View Post
Thanks for the shout out! Slight correction... I'm actually in Northern CA, around 30 miles east of San Francisco. However, I am a graduate from USC. I'm enjoying the wealth of information and sharing of knowledge about LSG's offsets. My experience would be at least 10 times more challenging without forums like this.
Ha, my bad :) I totally defaulted to that. No idea why.
Want a chance at a free Lone Star Grillz 20x42 with Offroad Package? Subscribe to my YouTube channel and share the video below everywhere you can on social media! If we hit 100K subs by June 15, 2020 I'll be giving one away right on my channel. Thanks for your help and good luck!

LSG 20x42 Giveaway Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddf7HM5WDM
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lone star grillz, lone star grillz new models, lone star grillz offset