MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #61
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
"Fixed it by enlarging the air intake" ..... how in the world did you do that?
Perhaps you are just opening the intake all the way?

My LSG vertical offset drafts like crazy. This is the first I have heard of an intake issue with any of the lSG smokers.
Literally, I cut the intake and replaced the intake door with a wider one. Now I have no issues cooking with the firebox door closed and all vents open maintaining temp with a small fire. Before doing this, I had to cook with the firebox door open. I don't doubt your vertical offset drafts properly. Mine is a horizontal offset and a small one at 24x36. I have to burn a very small fire to maintain low enough temps...problem is, the smaller fire is harder to maintain with a small coal base. Before the fix, as soon as I closed the firebox door (all vents wide open), the fire would smolder. And yes...I used well aged wood (2 years aged post oak split to even smaller than coke sized diameter and about 6" long) and prewarmed splits by actually placing them inside the firebox off to the side of the fire.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #62
marvda1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Mind snapping a pic or elaborating on said adapter? I'd like to be able to do the same with mine.
Don't remember if my value is 1 or 1.25 in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180624_092521.jpg (75.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 20180624_092537.jpg (63.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20180624_092546.jpg (84.4 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20180624_092609.jpg (75.6 KB, 176 views)
marvda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #63
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Literally, I cut the intake and replaced the intake door with a wider one. Now I have no issues cooking with the firebox door closed and all vents open maintaining temp with a small fire. Before doing this, I had to cook with the firebox door open. I don't doubt your vertical offset drafts properly. Mine is a horizontal offset and a small one at 24x36. I have to burn a very small fire to maintain low enough temps...problem is, the smaller fire is harder to maintain with a small coal base. Before the fix, as soon as I closed the firebox door (all vents wide open), the fire would smolder. And yes...I used well aged wood (2 years aged post oak split to even smaller than coke sized diameter and about 6" long) and prewarmed splits by actually placing them inside the firebox off to the side of the fire.
Thanks for the reply. I would make sure to notify Chris at LSG that he as been been selling a poorly designed smoker all these years. Who would have known? Actually, I am of the opinion that it is more operator error involved and a lack of good fire management on your part. My insulated firebox requires small fires. just took a little practice....... Maybe BillN out in Arizona can chime in with his cooks using his 24 X 36.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #64
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

Plenty of things made with great engineering have room for improvement. Nothing wrong with making a wider window of adjustment. More precise control for moving more air. Think of all the mods available for motors on just about everything that are about moving more air.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #65
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
Don't remember if my value is 1 or 1.25 in.

How about cutting that hose short, stuffing into a used milk or water jug and setting on rack...seal so it don't stink when done, toss when full.

Or a bucket with foil, but I think someone already suggested that.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #66
kenrobin
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjman View Post
I see replacement grease buckets for pellet poopers a lot of places.

You should be able to hang one off the ball valve handle.

Or even a small cattle bucket from a farm supply store. TSC or FleetFarm.

If you're broke from the lsg purchase...make one from a large soup can and a hanger?
That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing for mine. I think Traeger makes one that should be easy to find at a hardware store like Orchard.
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #67
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Were you having issues with the logs smoldering with the firebox door closed? Just curious. I own a 24x36 horizontal offset from LSG and have had issues with it. Fixed it by enlarging the air intake.
I had my door cracked several times when adding new logs. Didn't know if it was just the learning curve or if I'll always need to do that.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #68
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
Where does the grease go when you’re cooking on the griddle?
I'm not sure :) There is no obvious trap for it. I imagine if you're cooking something really greasy, the grease will run off the edges and work its way down to the firebox eventually. However, when I do smashburgers, I make super thin patties and get my Grill Grates so hot that most there's not a ton of grease runoff. It's sort of burning in place. So I don't think it'll be a problem for me. I'll certainly never cook something like bacon on the griddle, though.

Last edited by AKMIMNAK; 06-24-2018 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: typo
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #69
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would make sure to notify Chris at LSG that he as been been selling a poorly designed smoker all these years. Who would have known? Actually, I am of the opinion that it is more operator error involved and a lack of good fire management on your part. My insulated firebox requires small fires. just took a little practice....... Maybe BillN out in Arizona can chime in with his cooks using his 24 X 36.
You’re entitled to your opinion although it comes off as condescending since you know nothing about me and don’t own this particular smoker. Given a good draft, a small fire can be maintained with a proportionately small coal base. Without it, the operator will need to find another solution (eg cook with firebox door open, use smaller splits, lengthen smoke stack, elevate stack end of smoker, etc).

Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #70
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

A small bucket or gallon jug won't solve the problem for anyone who is using water in the smoker, or cleaning out with water after the smoke. I used at least 8 gallons of water cleaning her last night, and I don't want all that greasy water spraying on my storage rack. For now, I filled up a five gallon bucket twice and tossed the water in the woods. But it was a pain fitting the bucket under the ball valve even empty, and obviously even less fun getting it back out once the bucket had 4 gallons or so of water in it.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #71
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

LIST UPDATED JUNE 24, 2018

LSG's Videos:

Walkaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-qQNYp4uWE
Chicken Leg Quarters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS9OxLwbt1g
Brisket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLwheAxRpo
Ribeye Steaks Sear vs Reverse Sear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYiWPKerLgc&t=5s

Customer Videos:

Uncrating: https://youtu.be/guWUE5kzjqI
Arrival & Walkaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unyi...ature=youtu.be
What is Crossflow?: https://youtu.be/mIBtmhEaZGA
The Grass Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYbhiqRQXc
Initial Burn In - Part 1 of 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_j79fAVR0k
Initial Burn In - Part 2 of 2: https://youtu.be/SDuW7imu564
Can I Griddle & Smoke At the Same Time?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St4m...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #72
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
I had my door cracked several times when adding new logs. Didn't know if it was just the learning curve or if I'll always need to do that.
Can’t speak to your particular model, but with my 24x36 I tried everything in my arsenal (very small splits, preheated splits inside the firebox, using over seasoned wood, floor fan blowing into the firebox, adjusting leveling of the smoker, running it without tuning plates to minimize resistance). I know a lot of people (Franklin most notably) say to cook with the firebox door open, but I was annoyed that I had to do it as a requirement and not just an option. With my intake now larger, cooks are much less of a headache and more enjoyable.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #73
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Guys, the "Arrival & Walkaround" video I just posted to the updated list above is from Kenyatta Robinson, a guy in SoCal who just took receipt of his new 20x42 LSG this weekend. He's got several accessories that I did not order, and his video was really interesting - if you think my delivery was scary, you should watch his :)

With another 20x42 user posting vids, we'll all benefit from better variety.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #74
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Can’t speak to your particular model, but with my 24x36 I tried everything in my arsenal (very small splits, preheated splits inside the firebox, using over seasoned wood, floor fan blowing into the firebox, adjusting leveling of the smoker, running it without tuning plates to minimize resistance). I know a lot of people (Franklin most notably) say to cook with the firebox door open, but I was annoyed that I had to do it as a requirement and not just an option. With my intake now larger, cooks are much less of a headache and more enjoyable.
Yes, it is annoying because it means more babysitting, and because it is already discoloring the paint around the door opening. But I don't have the skillz to mod mine like you did so I'll have to tinker with it and see if this is a longterm prob or if these 20" models will run better once I figure it out.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #75
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You guys need to contact Chris. He'll be glad to help. I don't own one but i have spoken to him a couple times and know his reputation. I'd be very surprised to find that he designed these to be run with the door cracked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lone star grillz, lone star grillz new models, lone star grillz offset