MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Keep in mind that you are trying to pack as much flavor into 1 bite as possible. It's all about 1 bite.

The other thing is, don't try something that might offend someone. Maybe offend is the wrong word here, but pick flavors that blend well. A judge shouldn't pick up on 1 distinct flavor.

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #17
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
Start nailing tenderness (as mentioned above) and use products that have been known to score well.

Some examples that are well known on this site are Blues Hog Sauces, Smokin Guns rubs, Big Poppa Rubs, Head Country Sauces, Swamp Boys Sauces, Butcher BBQ Injections, Kosmos Q Injections

The list goes on and on. Hopefully this will get you started.

Also, practice, practice, practice at home on tenderness. Take a class. and practice some more

Good luck. Hopefully we will cross paths someday.
I just finished a brisket using SGH and Butcher injection. Do you guys typically follow the recipe for butcher's injections? I didn't notice much difference but I know it must be me since it is such an widely respected product.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

I thought the same thing until I cooked a brisket for some family a few weeks ago without injection.

It does make a difference.

I follow the instructions on the package but I know many people play around with the ratios

Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Thanks Right On... I am not so much concerned with the heat since that rub wins...just trying to get a point of reference when I am taste testing at home to see if I am in the proper heat range!
the proper heat range is no heat.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hi everyone. I just finished my second KCBS event and I have some questions about the taste scoring. My appearance scores were perfect, literally. However, I finished 20 out of 26...so that tells you all you need to know about my taste/tenderness scores. I feel like I know where I missed on tenderness, but taste has me puzzled. I know that judges and judging techniques are all different, but I am having trouble figuring out how to improve. Another thing is that geographically (located in Arkansas) I do not have access to a lot of competitions or the budget to travel to a lot of competitions. Only doing 4 competitions a year makes it hard to find out what "consistently works." Does anyone have success stories of what they did to improve their "taste scores." I need to take my 7's to 8's and my 8's to 9's to boost my score. Thanks in advance, you guys are all awesome.
I believe you should be proud for your 2nd contest, Hot & Fast BBQ! There were some tough teams at Stuttgart and the cooking conditions were brutal. If I'm where you are next time, you're welcome to taste my stuff. Lord knows I don't have the magical "taste" answers, every now and then I get lucky. My next Arkansas event is Wynne, then Fort Smith. If'n you're not cooking, you are welcome to park your chair at BBQr's Delight.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #21
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks BBQr's Delight. I will be in Wynne for sure, and more than likely Fort Smith. I will take you up on the offer to taste! There is going to be a contest in Russellville in August, it was added later than most of the others, but I am hoping for good turn out in my hometown!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 AM   #22
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

PHarp,

Quick tip for injection testing on a brisket. If you don't want to cook two briskets to do a side by side, then try injecting just one half of the brisket. That way you can taste the injected versus the non injected and make your determination.

Good luck,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #23
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Robert, I will try that this weekend. I just bought a cheap packer from Wal-Mart to practice on. The package says 3/4 a cup of injection and 2 cups of water fro two briskets. I am wondering if a lot of people use that amount for just one brisket.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #24
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
I just finished a brisket using SGH and Butcher injection. Do you guys typically follow the recipe for butcher's injections? I didn't notice much difference but I know it must be me since it is such an widely respected product.
I thought maybe, some of David's sponsored teams would step up and help you, oh well.

While I'm not a sponsored team, I do use his prime brisket injection in comps. I mix it at the rate of 1/3 cup to 12oz of bottled water for one brisket, hope this helps a little.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks! That seems like a good amount for one brisket.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #26
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
I thought maybe, some of David's sponsored teams would step up and help you, oh well.

While I'm not a sponsored team, I do use his prime brisket injection in comps. I mix it at the rate of 1/3 cup to 12oz of bottled water for one brisket, hope this helps a little.
That's a little more diluted than the 3/4c to 2 cups of water on the package.

Seems like that could be a bit underwhelming in flavor for injection. Interested in your thoughts on that.

I don't do well in brisket so I'm soaking up all knowledge about it!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #27
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks BBQr's Delight. I will be in Wynne for sure, and more than likely Fort Smith. I will take you up on the offer to taste! There is going to be a contest in Russellville in August, it was added later than most of the others, but I am hoping for good turn out in my hometown!
I'll be repping with Ralph at that one. Going to be tough being a stand-in for Karen though! See you in Wynne!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #28
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
That's a little more diluted than the 3/4c to 2 cups of water on the package.

Seems like that could be a bit underwhelming in flavor for injection. Interested in your thoughts on that.

I don't do well in brisket so I'm soaking up all knowledge about it!
Fair enough, basically I'm putting in 2 2/3 ozs in the brisket instead of 3 ozs. I'd say that's not a big difference. By using more liquid, I'm able to penetrate/soak more area, it's all being used into the brisket in either case.

As far as flavor, I'm using it more for the phosphates, I get my flavor from the wrapping/juices.

I think the biggest thing you should take away from this lesson, is the sooner you wrap the more of the flavor you'll get from the injection as opposed to wrapping later...this is something you'll have to decide on what you want in your brisket.

Remember I'm not a brisket expert, I just ocasionally get a call.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #29
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I've used just about all the injections on the market over time (though I'd pay close attention to what Robert said above, that's the way to test one). I love Butcher's stuff and that's my go-to pork injection, but I use 2 tablespoons for 16 oz water or juice. Had an unfortunate experience where full-strength pork injection made like mucus pockets in the meat. It was at the Butt-to-Butt in 2007 and one of the judges told me about it. Checked my meat, yep, it was mine. To this day I check pork for suspicious emissions before it goes in the box.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #30
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I'll be repping with Ralph at that one. Going to be tough being a stand-in for Karen though! See you in Wynne!

I don't think I knew you were a rep now. Do you like to travel to upper midwest? We could use some good reps up in these parts.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition bbq, kcbs, scores, taste