MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #421
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I didn't know all that.
I've used double garbage bags as liners to a 5 gallon bucket before.

OOPS!
Yea, me too. This was my plan.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #422
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike BBQ View Post
I could not even get the neck and giblets out. I hope the brine works it way into the cavity as it thaws.
I'm sure it'll thaw fine.
How long were you planning on brining.
The ONLY thing I think may be affected is that it may shorten the effective brine time, but that may not even be true.

If you think about it, the outer surface is going to thaw first and that's the part that's going to start being affected by the brine first. I'd think that as it thaws, the brine will work on the rest of it.

In hindsight (which doesn't help you now of course ) I'd probably just run water in the cavity to loosen the neck and giblets, remove them, keep running water over it until things loosened up and then dunked it.

But I'm sure you'll be good.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #423
retfr8flyr
Full Fledged Farker

I will be doing my first turkey tomorrow on my Akorn and I am going to use a Turkey Canon. I have read varying different cook times with the canon, I am planning to do the cook at 325° and was figuring on about 12 minutes a pound, 13lb bird. For any of you that have used the canon, does this time sound about right?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #424
Strike BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I'm sure it'll thaw fine.
How long were you planning on brining.
The ONLY thing I think may be affected is that it may shorten the effective brine time, but that may not even be true.

If you think about it, the outer surface is going to thaw first and that's the part that's going to start being affected by the brine first. I'd think that as it thaws, the brine will work on the rest of it.

In hindsight (which doesn't help you now of course ) I'd probably just run water in the cavity to loosen the neck and giblets, remove them, keep running water over it until things loosened up and then dunked it.

But I'm sure you'll be good.
I brined about 18 hours - a lot longer then I like - but I let it soak longer because of the frozen bird. It is airing in the fridge now. I think it will be fine.
Strike BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #425
SmokeHouse Blues
Full Fledged Farker

I've been deep frying turkeys for years using Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning and injecting with his Creole butter. This year I'm smoking a turkey. With all of the various brines, rubs, marinades and injection out there. I have a simple question: Has anyone used Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning when smoking a turkey? If so, how did it turn out?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #426
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I have a basement fridge that I use for wet aging, overflow beer, BBQ purpose. I took out a 14lb turkey last wednesday morning. Last night there was still ice in the cavity. Not much, but still there. Full 7 day thaw.

Picked up some extra drumsticks, broke down the bird (wings, thighs, legs). Was going to cut the breasts out so I could fully wrap in bacon but the breasts felt a little smaller than Ive tested with so I left them on. All went into a brine. Fortified the brine with a bit of phosphates.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #427
Tulse
Got Wood.

Ok, I'm stumped. Can a 14lb turkey really be done after only 2h 20m?

Smoker (UDS) at 340 degrees. Turkey Thermapen probes at 180 in the breast and 190 elsewhere. Looks great, but less than 3 hours?
Tulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #428
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Despite having only (non food safe) kitchen trash bags as a brine "vessel", I was going to use them anyway. But while I was prepping the bird for tomorrows cook, I couldn't get past the smell of the bags. I double checked that they weren't those scented type of trash bags...ok, fine...but they still had a smell. It was pleasant, mind you, but they still had a smell. After some time, I just couldn't ignore it any more. So upon further research, I discovered that the trashbags are stored in the same cabinet as the laundry fabric softener.

"No".

Just...no.... The last thing I want is a "Downy" flavored Thanksgiving turkey.

Ok then. Due to lack of planning, I will not be brining this years turkey.

Just a heads-up, and something to think about for those of you that have the same problem with "lack of planning" as I did.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #429
Kctiger
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default How long should I smoke

How long should i exepct to smoke a 22lb turkey? Dont have a big enough smoker to spatchcock it but, what about cutting it in half? Thanks.
Kctiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #430
Kctiger

i found the temp info I needed but, what about cutting it in halves? It's going into a weber smokey mountain 18.5" so I don't think spatchcock will fit. I just dont think i will be able to get the temps up above 300 wiht much consitancy and lots of monitoring. Dont want to have to cook for 10 hrs. Also, is it ok to cook the bird a day ahead of time, carve and put in fridge and then the next day reheat? Or will it lose its moisture and flavor? Thanks

Last edited by Kctiger; 11-27-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #431
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I wouldn't cook it the day before. That'll just dry it out. But a bird that size will fit on a WSM "whole".

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #432
Chrome Dome
On the road to being a farker

Two 18 lb birds done on the Lang 84". Salt, pepper, rosemary and olive oil before going on. Celery and onion in the cavity. Four hours at 325 with oak and a splash of apple wood. These are two of five I did, and all got great reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4146.jpg (48.8 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4158.jpg (101.5 KB, 295 views)

Lang 84" Deluxe with Chargrill; Custom Lang 36" Deluxe; BGE

[url]www.fireduptohelp.org[/url]
Chrome Dome is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #433
Kctiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
I wouldn't cook it the day before. That'll just dry it out. But a bird that size will fit on a WSM "whole".
Thanks. I was just thinking that if I cut in half it would cut down on the cook time but didnt want to dry it out. The more i have thought about it I think I will cook on Satuday the day family comes over. Looks like I will getting up early to make sure its done by noon. I dont think I will do a bird this size again.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #434
Kctiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Despite having only (non food safe) kitchen trash bags as a brine "vessel", I was going to use them anyway. But while I was prepping the bird for tomorrows cook, I couldn't get past the smell of the bags. I double checked that they weren't those scented type of trash bags...ok, fine...but they still had a smell. It was pleasant, mind you, but they still had a smell. After some time, I just couldn't ignore it any more. So upon further research, I discovered that the trashbags are stored in the same cabinet as the laundry fabric softener.

"No".

Just...no.... The last thing I want is a "Downy" flavored Thanksgiving turkey.

Ok then. Due to lack of planning, I will not be brining this years turkey.

Just a heads-up, and something to think about for those of you that have the same problem with "lack of planning" as I did.
What about using a cooler? Thats what i used and since its been pretty cool out I put some ice from the ice maker in and kept the cooler in the garage. The next day pulled it and it was still very cold.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #435
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Yea, I guess I could have used a cooler, but the amount of spices and seasonings required to submerge the (twenty pound) bird in a cooler would have been expensive. I had a pretty 'fancy' brine recipe in mind that I found online and wanted to try.